Is there an automatic top (or roll back top) for TJs?

Bunbury

I KNOW! That could be considered sacrilegious around these parts, but hold on, I have a valid reason.

Ever since I got my TJ (about a year and a half ago) I've been dying to remove the top and finally feel lilke a real JEEP owner. I live in LA (Echo Park for those locals) so im lucky that the weather is conducive for that, but this is the kicker: I dont have a parking spot! I have to park on the street which complicates it for someone who eventually wants to sell his hard top and ride topless most/all of the time. You can see how an automatic or roll back top would be useful. It will give me piece of mind that I am not leaving my vehicle outside wide open, without the nuisance of removing the top and the putting it back ou everytime I drive it.

Along those lines, any security and all weather advice would be helpful. I'll do a search for that in the forums but if anthing comes to mind that you would like to share on this thread, I'd be all ears. I have an alarm and a kill switch, locks on my wheels and spare. I plan on pulling the carpets and rhino plasting the interior. I understand that if a thief really wants your vehicle, they'll take it and I fully understoood the risks when I decided on purchasing one. Glad I did because I love it and the dog loves it. Im sure we will love it more when that top comes off! Thanks.

You can see how an automatic or roll back top would be useful.
Get a JL, its the only hard top that has a soft top roll back feature on the top.

A soft top can be unbuttoned and rolled back behind the rear seat. That’s prob your best bet.

Bestop makes the best soft top bar none. They arnt cheap, but you get what you pay for.

PM JSherb. He is a wizard at building fiberglass parts. He may know of a way, or even construct a way for the hardtop to be cut and reformed to have the front fold back.
I would think a length of piano hinge and some gasket (obviously more technical than that) could allow you the ability to fold or remove the front top section.

Didn't someone make a two piece hard top for TJ's? I know I have seen them, Rally Top maybe?

My Tj had the Rally top on when I bought it but I have since put a soft top on because the Rally top leaked around the rear window and it was louder than the soft top.

Reactions: AMS417
Bestop makes a "sunrider" top. There is a mod to DIY the top that you have. I've done it and it was easy (not on my most recent TJ though).

Reactions: Stretch
Didn't someone make a two piece hard top for TJ's? I know I have seen them, Rally Top maybe?
Yep. Rally tops makes one. It doesn't get great reviews and states it will only work with half doors. A sunroof could be installed but would kill the resale value of your hardtop

Reactions: AMS417
Bestop makes a "sunrider" top. There is a mod to DIY the top that you have. I've done it and it was easy (not on my most recent TJ though).
Anyone have the sunrider top from Bestop... my soft top has a couple rips in it now that I keep repairing... time to just replace it.

I'm just sad that there are TJs trapped in LA living on the streets with their tops up. There's got to be a non-profit or something that can help? Would someone please think of the Jeeps?!? Can we start a community program or outreach of some sort?

everyone is talking about hardtop but you mentioned wanting to sell it in the future. I recommend a soft top with frame based off of what you said. for me (I live in LA too south la though) I have a soft top with frame and I just unzip the back window halfway take off the 2 side soft windows unhook 2 hooks from the window frame and just roll it back... I can roll it off in about 2 or 3 minutes and roll it back on in the same amount of time.

Anyone have the sunrider top from Bestop... my soft top has a couple rips in it now that I keep repairing... time to just replace it.
I had the Sunrider on my last CJ7. It worked good, you unlatched the front and flipped it back. I still like a bikini top the best.

I installed this. http://www.flipurtop.com/home.html

501BDF1A-E729-4D38-818E-8DBD212106D8.jpeg

00B47354-0C95-402C-8624-FEB7A4FA6389.jpeg

OP was looking for hardtop for security. Switching to a soft top for the flip open feature wouldn't help him.

I have the OEM framed top which is easy to take down and put up. Though absolutely no security what so ever.

The only top that is remotely secure is a hard top. I like the Rally top most because the rear windows slide open. I might consider buying one in a couple years when my oldest son would be able to help me remove/reinstall once per year.

@bunberry I completely get where your coming from and ive wanted to switch to the soft top but in LA aren't you worried about somebody just cutting your top and taking your stuff or is the jeep like a secondary car ?

You can see how an automatic or roll back top would be useful. It will give me piece of mind that I am not leaving my vehicle outside wide open, without the nuisance of removing the top and the putting it back on everytime I drive it.
A normal oem replacement top (with frame) will be the easiest way to go completely topless. Most just fold them back, behind the rear seat. Doesn't take much time or effort to put back up. You'll probably want half doors too.
If the weather is nice, and you remember not to leave anything in the jeep, leave the top down. Don't give the thieves any reason to cut the top just to look inside. Additionally, thieves might pass on an open top vehicle, where they can easily be seen.

Along those lines, any security and all weather advice would be helpful. I'll do a search for that in the forums but if anything comes to mind that you would like to share on this thread, I'd be all ears.
I highly recommend a Tuffy center console. Good for security and weather. You'll probably want a removable face stereo too.

@Stretch Yes, I just put the Supertop NX with the sunrider on my LJ a few weeks back. It works good enough but I was a little disappointed and the smaller sized opening.

After watching the video of the Flipurtop I kind of wish I went that round instead. The "hinge" for flipping the Bestop sunrider sits about mid way on the door whereby the hinge for flipping back the Flipurtop appears to be further back toward the rear edge of the door creating a larger opening.

I was doing it wrong ... LOL ... Here is the right way: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/am-i-using-this-sunrider-top-right.21473/

Let me know if you had any other questions about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stretch