Is there any benefit of going to a 16" wheel over a 15" wheel?

04RedLJ

TJ Enthusiast
So besides a slightly larger tire choice is there any benefit of going to a 16inch wheel over a 15 inch wheel ?

I will be running 33 x10.5x 15’s and BFG KO2’s.
If I went 16 I have a larger selection of tires in the 285/75/16 range ......
Do 16’s let me run a little bigger brake? Any benefits beside these?

I have the 17” jk rubicon take off wheels and tires with just a two inch lift. While it isn’t horrible looking, it’s not the set up I’d choose. PO put them one.

Once the tires wear out I’m dropping to a 15 or 16”. My main issue is I want the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tire and p rated, not LT. Most of the sizes are LT so that’s probably what I’m gonna end up with.

My Rubicon had four 17" wheels I didn't really like but it had the original spare so I ended up buying 4 more original 16 inch wheels and Duratrac tires.

Two things I should have considered with 16" load range E tires:

I thought the load range E tires would last longer on such a light vehicle but for about 4000 miles a year almost any tire will probably need replaced by age.

Load range E tires ride rougher. It doesn't bother me physically (yet) but I do wonder how much extra wear it's putting on the suspension parts and bearings, especially when off roading.

The 16" metric tire sizes typically offer a "true" 33 inch tire whereas 33" tires on 15" wheel are more like 32.8. So 33.2-33.5 vs 32.8 ish. However, I would not change to 16" for that reason, and bc as others have said, you can get a C in 15" flavor. If larger tire is a factor, then save up, invest in your rig, and go straight to 35".

I run factory 16x8 Moab wheels on my Rubicon with 315/75R16 Duratrac tires. I use 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers with the wheels.

I considered going to 15s but stuck with the factory 16s because they look very good with a silver painted TJ, and because I could stuff a Super 16 big brake kit underneath.

Reactions: tombicon
The only choices as said above are 15" and 17".

For 16" there is a terrible selection of tires. 17" you can fit larger brakes. 15" the tires are less expensive and you'll have more sidewall.

I run factory 16x8 Moab wheels on my Rubicon with 315/75R16 Duratrac KM2 tires. I use 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers with the wheels.

I considered going to 15s but stuck with the factory 16s because they look very good with a silver light khaki metallic painted TJ LJ and because I could stuff a Super 16 big brake kit underneath.

This. '06 Moabs are the best looking Jeep wheel ever. True story.

Reactions: chad and Camdenst