Is there any issue with installing longer shocks before a taller lift?

c_bronson

Alright, so the current project started as a ZJ Tie Rod conversion on my pretty much stock Jeep TJ. For some history, here's my current setup:

1. 1.75" Zone Spring Spacer
2. 1" MML
3. Savvy 1.25" Body Lift
4. 33" Tires
5. Zone Shocks (14.5" Compressed/24.5" Un-Compressed)
6. Factory bumper trimmed with added winch plate, bull bar, and Warn 8,000lb winch.

Since I had the front end taken apart anyway, I decided to replace my 20-year-old factory springs that had almost 2" in sag. I ordered the 2" BDS springs in the hope to replace the spring spacer pucks as well. While everything was off, I went ahead and cycled my suspension and came out to needing about 1.5" added bump stop and therefore will just be keeping the 2" extensions that came with the Zone spring spacers.

While I was doing this, a question came into my head. My ultimate goal with this Jeep will be to do the 4" Currie Lift. But that won't happen for about a year. However, if I have the correct bump stop for my current shocks:

Is there any issue with going ahead and installing the shock length I'd ultimately want with the 4" Currie lift? I.e. would a longer shock right now limit me in any way? I'd think the bump stop setup now would prevent the shock from ever bottoming out. What am I missing? Or is this an okay idea?

Second Question:
Is there any harm in keeping the front 1.75" spring spacer WITH the 2" lift springs to help 'level the rake'? I wouldn't keep the back spacer and I do have the 1" MML. Would the 1.75" spacer cause issues with the rear driveline angle?

Why don’t you just add the 1.75 spacer on top of the BDS coils for approx. 3.75 spring lift. That will be good to run the longer shocks (in most cases). You’d want to make sure your coil spacer + compressed spring length is taken into account when setting your bumps

Driveline angles, at that lift height you’d probably need a SYE and CV driveshaft or lower the transfer case skid.

Why don’t you just add the 1.75 spacer on top of the BDS coils for approx. 3.75 spring lift. That will be good to run the longer shocks (in most cases). You’d want to make sure your coil spacer + compressed spring length is taken into account when setting your bumps

Driveline angles, at that lift height you’d probably need a SYE and CV driveshaft or lower the transfer case skid.
I considered, and for the front still considering, just keeping the spring spacers. However, if there is any issue with driveline angles then spacers are gone no question. I know with my setup @ 2" of lift, everything has been fine.

So, lets "assume" I don't use the spacers. I only use the springs. Is there an issue with using a longer shock now in preparation for the 4" lift eventually? (I will be doing the SYE and CV when I install the 4" lift, just not wanting to do it now if at all possible)

prior to installing your new springs you’ll just want to cycle your suspension and see how much compressed shock length you have with your 2” bumpstop. If that number is smaller than the new compressed spring length, you’ll need to add more bumpstop to prevent damaging your shock.

Ultimately you are temporarily impacting your up travel so you’ll likely have a harsher ride when hitting your bumps during DD but as long as you bump appropriately you won’t damage anything

Reactions: c_bronson
While it’s not reccomended here for obvious reasons (reduced offroad capability) a transfer case drop kit could allow you to run the spacer +coil + new shocks until you can afford a CV DS / SYE.

You want to tuck that skid up, not lower it but it’s a cheap temporary solution to mitigate driveline angles...

Don’t burn me forum!

prior to installing your new springs you’ll just want to cycle your suspension and see how much compressed shock length you have with your 2” bumpstop. If that number is smaller than the new compressed spring length, you’ll need to add more bumpstop to prevent damaging your shock.

Ultimately you are temporarily impacting your up travel so you’ll likely have a harsher ride when hitting your bumps during DD but as long as you bump appropriately you won’t damage anything
I just measured with the 2" bumpstop and I have 15.5" in the shock well. That is about 1/2'' more than the shocks I was looking at compressed.

If the shocks fit there is zero issue running them. Most of the time when you get the shocks in advance they are too long but if you feel those are the correct length and they fit now then go with it.