Is there any reason to get the Warm M8S over an M8 and aftermarket synthetic rope?

mousehunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Will probably be ordering a Warn winch in a couple days. Just curious, any reason to get the M8S over an M8 and aftermarket synthetic rope? Seems the price difference is more than what replacement rope and an aluminum fairlead would cost.

It was what I was thinking. I did read that there were changes at TRE - but I have been happy with my TRE safety shackle on my M8S (Gen 1 Tacoma)- abet I had to splice that one in myself.

Will probably be ordering a Warn winch in a couple days. Just curious, any reason to get the M8S over an M8 and aftermarket synthetic rope? Seems the price difference is more than what replacement rope and an aluminum fairlead would cost.
Are you getting the steel cabled version for ~$170 less than the synthetic version?

I did read that there were changes at TRE
only in ownership as far as I know

The difference between Amazon's M8000 synthetic and non-synthetic is $390. For $20 more, $409, you can get a TRE rope, thimble and fairlead. Plus, the 100' line supplied with the Warn is a little to long. An 85' length prevents the line from bunching up, in the event of something like a side pull.

3/8" Synthetic Winch Rope - 20,000 lb. Breaking Strength - Replacement Winch Rope for 6,000 lb. to 12,000 lb. Winches$259.903/8" Synthetic Winch Rope - 20,000 lb. Breaking Strength - Replacement Winch Rope for 6,000 lb. to 12,000 lb. Winches quantity$259.90
20220216_091943-scaled.jpg
3/8" Synthetic Winch Rope Winch Rope Color:
Black
Winch Rope Length:
85 ft.
ST2-BLACK.png
Safety Thimble IIAnodized Colors:
Black (Type III, Mil Spec)
Updated-BD-STFL-Front.png
Safety Thimble Fairlead - Bright Dip (Silver)$149.95Safety Thimble Fairlead - Bright Dip (Silver) quantity$149.95

Last edited:
Reactions: someguysjeep
I just did this recently, get the M8 and whatever line you prefer. I don't understand why the M8s is so much more expensive.

Well ordered the M8 last night and then tried to place an order from TRE. They are saying there is no shipping methods and no payment methods available to my state (Texas)... I have an IM in to them to see if this is a website error. LIkewise, was kind of bummed when I saw the fairlead was out of stock and the only available color for the safety thimble was now black-but honestly that could be worse.

Well, eventually got the order made. Started with messenger, then email, and finally phone. Still need to source a fairlead and a license plate holder.