Is there any reason to have door surrounds without a soft top?

They're good to keep in place to give the upper window frames of full-steel doors to seat against. Without them the upper steel window frame will flex when shutting the doors and crack where it's welded to the mounting points.

And while not needed for soft upper doors, it does give them a weather-tight seal so rain/wind etc. can't come in around the soft upper windows.

Good answers as always.

There's a set on FB for $80 but far away as could be in Florida, and a set locally for $120. Both appear to be in good condition. Asking the local what brand and condition. Is there a brand to avoid? I see QTech has different brands, OMIX & Mopar for $100 each side.

The best reason NOT to run them if you have no top on is they is they create blind spot.

Reactions: DEValken
If you're running with no doors or half doors, no. If you have windows on, then they will add support to them.
as LONGJP2 said, I run just the uppers with the bikini top for support for the sides.
Old thread but now I'm close to topless with GenRight half doors with Bestop Bikini. Still wondering whether the surrounds will do me any good, functional or aesthetically?
Guess I can try to figure them out and install to see where I'm at.

Once I switch to tube doors for the summer the surrounds come off. Half doors with uppers they stay on, but so does my soft top.
I don't have a soft top so will run half doors with bikini. I've had an order in with Bestop for upper doors for a month or two (that fit only the GR half doors), so if/when they arrive I'll add the surrounds. I might test fit them just so I know how when the time comes.

Thanks.

Reactions: randy328
I keep mine all the time. Half doors, full doors, no doors, because my bi-mini top hooks up to it.
I dunno how my Bestop bikini connects since it's still NIB, as is the header. The surround I have is unknown brand, bought second hand but supposedly never used. Guess I'll find out.

Reactions: MangoTango
The bikini and safari tops have means to use both the surround or the B pillar
I agree, the best top one I bought had both options. I like attaching it to the door surrounds because when it rains its not all over my seats if I have full doors on or my half door window inserts in. But that's only if I know its going to rain :p

I keep mine all the time. Half doors, full doors, no doors, because my bi-mini top hooks up to it.
My rampage top hooks to the upper portion of the surround as well. When I run half doors with the top in the safari configuration I remove the lower section of the surround. I’ve also modified the lower section so I can remove it without removing the top.

My Bestop wraps around the roll bar above the doors not to the surrounds

bikini top.jpg

Reactions: B252