Is there any way to tell how old my battery is?

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is there any way to tell how old my battery is? I don't see any dates on it. I usually try to replace them every 2 years. I bought this Jeep last year.

15964138516227765725067923294592.jpg

There should be a circular sticker on most of them, if not it’s normally on the label, might be on one of the sides

Most of mine last about 4 years, normally Use the cheap Walmart “ever start” or ”max start” however if I was over landing or running alot of high power items I might not, for example if I get a winch I’ll probably upgrade.

After reading the posts I looked again and found a circle sticker - Sept 2018.
Try a good quality AGM battery like an Odyssey, Northstar, Bosch Platinum, and expect more like ten years of life. My previous battery has made by Odyssey and it made it 10 years. I'm now running a Northstar which is very similar to the Odyssey.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Another win to the Wrangler TJ team. (y) ...we are getting good at this, maybe we should start a forum ?

Reactions: Hog
Is there any way to tell how old my battery is? I don't see any dates on it. I usually try to replace them every 2 years. I bought this Jeep last year.

View attachment 181048
Most battery folks are keeping scannable records. If you can locate a dealer of that brand they can likely scan that bar code and give you the date of sale.Personally I never like to depend on another man's battery. I like to know where I am starting from. Many batteries are 2 or 3 year rated and you know you have already used half or a third of its life. If you're out wheeling why take the risk. For what little they cost, I personally would go get a new one and not worry about when that one is going to let you down.

Try a good quality AGM battery like an Odyssey, Northstar, Bosch Platinum, and expect more like ten years of life. My previous battery has made by Odyssey and it made it 10 years. I'm now running a Northstar which is very similar to the Odyssey.

Wow, that's impressive, I'm jealous. 4 years is about the longest I've had one live, Jeep, F150s, Expedition, Suburbans. I've had a Bosch from Pep Boys, Die Hard, Ever Start, I haven't tried Odyssey. Maybe because it's 100 degrees plus for a couple months (105 today) zaps them, I wish I could get 10 years out of a battery. Drove today no problem....literally got in my TJ at the store and dead, completely. Kind of comical after all the work I'm putting into it, dead battery...fortunate to park on a slight hill, ha.

I got 10+ years out of a conventional Interstate - in a diesel no less. It scared me when I figured out I'd had it that long, so I replaced it. 2 months later - OF COURSE - I then have a battery draining electrical problem that drained the new one flat - so it only lasted 2 or 3 years. Current one has been in for about 5 I think.

You will this hard to believe but if you live in the Phoenix area I can tell you where you can buy a battery for $35. I have purchased 10 to 15 of them and the shortest live I have experienced is 5 years. I have had some last as long as 9 to 10 years. I have recommended so many friends to them that I should be receiving 1099's from them. I have yet to to have had a complaint but I am sure I will someday.