Is there anyway to make a TJ 2.4 any faster?

Guitarguy

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys! I've got a 2006 wrangler 2.4 with the 6 speed. I know the 4.0 is way better but I got a deal on the 2.4 and now I'm stuck with it. Is there any way to give it some more torque? This thing looses speed like none other up hills on the highway. I do think I'm firing on all cylinders but it's just a lug of a motor. I've read reviews saying a cold air intake and performance coils help quite a bit but is that all true? And I'm planning a 5.2 or 5.9 swap at some point in the future but that's a ways down the road so I don't wanna do a turbo kit for 2 grand only to swap the motor out in a year or two. But any other insight in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Thank yall!

I think it will go faster if you drive it down hills just don't try going up them.

What gear ratio and tire size are you running?

Reactions: S Spurrier
Nope, all those "performance" mods are a waste of $, go with the proper set of gears for your tire size and transmission

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
CAI's don't do anything but lighten you're wallet. And "Performance" coils can't do anything a good oem coil does not do.
The best thing you could do is make sure it's running the best it can. A tune up if it hasn't been done in a while can help a little bit. But pull a plug and check out the wear. No sense in wasting money and time.

Hey guys! I've got a 2006 wrangler 2.4 with the 6 speed. I know the 4.0 is way better but I got a deal on the 2.4 and now I'm stuck with it. Is there any way to give it some more torque? This thing looses speed like none other up hills on the highway. I do think I'm firing on all cylinders but it's just a lug of a motor. I've read reviews saying a cold air intake and performance coils help quite a bit but is that all true? And I'm planning a 5.2 or 5.9 swap at some point in the future but that's a ways down the road so I don't wanna do a turbo kit for 2 grand only to swap the motor out in a year or two. But any other insight in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Thank yall!

Because you have a 2006 you need to be looking at doing a Hemi or LS swap instead of the 5.2/5.9 engine. Dodge stopped offering the magnum engines in 2002 with a limited number offered in 2003. Even if you don't have emissions testing where you are at it is illegal to swap an older engine into a vehicle by federal laws.
With your model year you will have less issues swapping a Hemi into your TJ. And the price of a good Hemi has come down in price a LOT.

Regearing would be your best bet. Go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Use this gear calc to figure out your RPM's.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Holly cow that was quick y'all! Thanks for the fast responses! To answer everyone's questions, I'm running the factory rims and tires with the factory final drive ratio, I believe it's 4:10 or 4:11 and the Dana 35 in the rear. When I got it, it did have 31x10.5s on it which looked great but it was just too much for the little 2.4 so I found a factory setup on Craigslist and ditched the bigger tires. I was wondering if the hemi would be a better option but I've read other forums saying the hemi swap is expensive as crud. I'm in Missouri so emissions isn't too strict here but we do have state inspections. The other things that scares me about the hemi swap is the cam wear issues that seem to becoming more common and finding a manual trans that'll bolt up but I do like the hemi! I've driven Rams and Challengers with the 5.7 and I'd love to have that kind of torque in the 4 banger Wrangler!

And as far as the tune up point goes, I've recently replaced the timing belt, all 4 spark plugs, valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets, thermostat and housing, flushed the coolant, and I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting. I know other stuff goes into a tune up but from what I've seen, everything internal in the engine seems to be in pretty good shape. I also re-checked the 2 outside plugs just to see how it was holding up and it seems to be pretty normal!

Yes, swap the engine out for something else or turbo it. No other way around it.

Regearing it will give you the most bang for the buck other than doing a engine swap.

Even if you live some place that doesn't do emissions testing if you swap an old engine into your TJ then you can't sell it and if they did start emissions testing in your area you would no longer be able to license it. It would then have to registered as a ORV and not be street legal anymore.

Yeah I'm hoping to start the swap in a year or two. So I'm guessing the best bet is gonna be buy a cheap beat up but running durango with a hemi, pull out what I need and part out the rest?

Part of me wants to have a ride in one just to see if it is as bad as 4.0 with 3.07 gears.
I think you are at the point of as good as it will get. Box on wheels is box on wheels.
Unless you go regearing, your mods will be just as silly as that one guy who was trying to shave off 20lb of weight to gain "improved performance" just to avoid regearing.

Yeah I'm hoping to start the swap in a year or two. So I'm guessing the best bet is gonna be buy a cheap beat up but running durango with a hemi, pull out what I need and part out the rest?

Do your research and then decide on a Hemi or LS. You can run a manual transmission behind either of these engines but the transmission you currently have will not work.

Here are a few LS swap threads:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/indys-5-3-tj.35789/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...her-torque-a-streetable-lj-engine-swap.36240/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/00-sahara-ls-conversion-with-nv3550-and-jk241or.34980/
There aren't a lot of Hemi swaps on the forums I am on. So here is one.

Hemi swap starts around page 86 I think.

https://tinyurl.com/y65c8we3