Is there anywhere that does custom tuned Bilstein shocks?

Why not just outboard the traditional way and use the Fox shocks most of us use? In other words, why try and reinvent the wheel?

I am not saying there is anything wrong with doing it your own way, mostly I am just curious as to why you wouldn’t do what has already been done so many times.

If it’s all for the sake of using the stock mounts, I would simply ask why?
I agree that it would be nice to have a longer, tunable shock that fits in the factory rear location. I don’t think anyone is arguing against the effectiveness of outboarding, it’s just that the amount of people that can actually do it properly is very few.

Reactions: Chris
I am talking front. Moving the rear location makes for better shock control. For me I would have to anything special in the front but cut and weld. I have plenty of room. I just became curious on if there was a tunable 11” shock for the front using factory mounts. My Jeep sits a bit tall with Currie springs. With the Rancho shock I have a tad over 6” of up travel. A 11” tunable shock would be a perfect solution for the front. If not I can change out mounts for a 12” relatively easy.

image.jpg

I agree that it would be nice to have a longer, tunable shock that fits in the factory rear location. I don’t think anyone is arguing against the effectiveness of outboarding, it’s just that the amount of people that can actually do it properly is very few.
I won’t argue that one bit. I’ve seen more than a fair share of shops fuck up the outboard install. Hell, bad it happen to me on my last TJ.

Reactions: HornedToad
I am talking front. Moving the rear location makes for better shock control. For me I would have to anything special in the front but cut and weld. I have plenty of room. I just became curious on if there was a tunable 11” shock for the front using factory mounts. My Jeep sits a bit tall with Currie springs. With the Rancho shock I have a tad over 6” of up travel. A 11” tunable shock would be a perfect solution for the front. If not I can change out mounts for a 12” relatively easy.

View attachment 229750
3BB7FEDD-1074-4C57-9F76-64AE9BD9A7A7.jpeg
2EC27BAF-D9B8-4400-9FD0-7928CE18013F.jpeg

Why not? If you could bolt in an 11” tuned shock into the front would you fab new mount to have a 12”?
I am talking about the front. Outboarding the rear makes sense.
I wouldn't. If I could get a bolt in tunable remote reservoir shock with 11" of travel for the front, I'd be hard pressed to ever cut up another stock shock mount.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I wouldn't. If I could get a bolt in tunable remote reservoir shock with 11" of travel for the front, I'd be hard pressed to ever cut up another stock shock mount.
Being in the middle of doing the front on mine, I would agree. It's much more work than the rear end is.

Reactions: mattcogdell
Being in the middle of doing the front on mine, I would agree. It's much more work than the rear end is.
Yesterday you were agreeing with Chris that it was silly not to fit 12” shocks. Why the change of heart?

Yesterday you were agreeing with Chris that it was silly not to fit 12” shocks. Why the change of heart?
Diminishing returns. You aren't going to get much more than 5.5" of uptravel. The rest of any perceived benefit will be 1" more down travel. It takes twice as much work to get a cut down 12 in there as it does an 11. Even more for a standard 12.

Diminishing returns. You aren't going to get much more than 5.5" of uptravel. The rest of any perceived benefit will be 1" more down travel. It takes twice as much work to get a cut down 12 in there as it does an 11. Even more for a standard 12.
I think there was just some confusion on front vs rear outboarding. Rear outboarding makes sense. Front mounts are fine if we could find a tunable shock to fit.

Reactions: jjvw
I think there was just some confusion on front vs rear outboarding. Rear outboarding makes sense. Front mounts are fine if we could find a tunable shock to fit.
Yes and no. What takes up a lot of the room we need is the stem mount. You have a cup washer, rubber isolator, overly deep cap to handle the stud length, and a different shape on the top cap that eat up shock travel. The shock builders do not have an eye on maximizing travel, they just want what is easy and won't compromise travel too much.