Is there no fuel filter on a 2004 Jeep TJ 4.0?

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Is there no fuel filter on a 2004 Jeep TJ 4.0? Mine does not have one and I'm assuming there to be one in the tank. If so, is the internal tank filter good enough?

The fuel filter is inside the fuel pressure regulator that sits on top of the fuel pump assembly on top of the gas tank. It's a superb large surface area filter that was designed to be a lifetime filter. Haven't heard of one clogging yet.

FuelPressureRegulator1.jpg

I've never heard of a fuel filter clogging on any vehicle in my life. That's pretty damn rare I think.

In order for this to happen, I think a vehicle has to sit for a long, long period of time and potentially develop gunk, rust, or other "stuff" in the fuel. On a car that's regularly driven, I don't foresee it happening.

I've never heard of a fuel filter clogging on any vehicle in my life. That's pretty damn rare I think.

In order for this to happen, I think a vehicle has to sit for a long, long period of time and potentially develop gunk, rust, or other "stuff" in the fuel. On a car that's regularly driven, I don't foresee it happening.
Your age is showing Chris, I have had a lot of clogged fuel filters, but most were from steel tanks, you are from the generation of plastic tanks that dont rust...

Your age is showing Chris, I have had a lot of clogged fuel filters, but most were from steel tanks, you are from the generation of plastic tanks that dont rust...

Correct! Because of that, I've never had to deal with a clogged fuel filter in my life.

But since we're talking about TJs here (which have plastic tanks), I have yet to hear of a TJ that had a clogged fuel filter. Not saying it isn't possible of course. If you let it sit long enough, anything is possible. Of course at that point, the fuel filter is probably the least of your concerns.

I dunno, I've never had a clogged fuel filter even though I grew up driving vehicles with nothing but steel tanks. I got my license in 1964. I've had dirty inline filters I cleaned by taking apart and flushing with gas but to be actually clogged? Never. Not to mention all of our TJs have rust-free plastic gas tanks.

I grew up in the rust belt, I have poured out the rust mixture from a filter, I have seen water in the tanks a half inch deep that would slosh over the pickup, the insides of the tank look just orange with flakes falling off. It just happens to be where a person is when this kind of crap happens. I remember the asphalt being white from the salt. My parents still have vehicles that are solid rust from the door handles down...

I grew up in the rust belt, I have poured out the rust mixture from a filter, I have seen water in the tanks a half inch deep that would slosh over the pickup, the insides of the tank look just orange with flakes falling off. It just happens to be where a person is when this kind of crap happens. I remember the asphalt being white from the salt. My parents still have vehicles that are solid rust from the door handles down...

I recently replaced the two fuel sock filters in the gas tank. Although they were not clogged completely when I replace with new there was a noticeable difference in my vehicle running and pick up when accelerating.

So they must have been pretty dirty, not saying they couldnt have been cleaned but for the $10 or so it was for new ones I just put those in.

And less resistance should mean the fuel pump works less strenuously.

No kidding I've had clogged fuel filters on everything from volkswagen beetle stump jumper's, Harley's, cars trucks and several, several year's type/ model Jeep's and I agree with this guy. Clogged filter's are like cholesterol filled arteries,they exist and they clog up...

I too have had more than one clogged fuel filter. Bothers me that newer cars only have them in the tank - stupid location for one if there ever was!