Is this a bad fuel pressure regulator?

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
Hey so my 2.4l cranks way too long before it starts up, it however starts right up when I prime the key on and off a couple times, Im assuming this is the fuel pressure regulator. I know I have to drop the gas tank to replace it but where can I find these? I saw one on ebay for $17 and one from some no name parts online store for $80. What's the difference and is it worth the $$ to go big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuel pressure regulator is rarely the sole cause of that problem, its main job is to relieve excessive fuel pressure. I've replaced just the FPR a couple times to try to fix that problem years ago but only replacing the actual fuel pump ever truly fixed it. There's a check valve inside that fails which allows fuel that is supposed to remain up at the top of the engine for fast starts to instead drain back down into the fuel tank. The slow start is how long it takes the pump to get fuel back up to the engine.

I would buy the entire fuel pump/FPR assembly as a unit and make sure to avoid the cheap crap made by companies like Spectra, Airtex, or any of the store brands like are sold by Autozone. This is a PITA job to do so you don't want to have to redo. A Spectra I installed years ago lasted me all of 13 months, one month past its warranty.

The ONLY brand of fuel pump I'll recommend is Bosch which is also who is the OEM for the factory fuel pump. My Jeep can sit two months without being started but it'll start up instantly every time since installing the Bosch 3-4 years ago. Amazon.com is a great source for the Bosch fuel pump, just make sure to check the p/n that it is correct for your model year.

Last hint... to reduce the time it takes to crank the engine before it starts, cycle the ignition switch on-off-on 6-8 times before turning the switch to start. That'll give the fuel pump more time to get fuel back up to the engine.

These two photos show when I replaced just the FPR... it didn't fix the problem. The fuel pump is below inside the gas tank and is what the FPR is inserted into.

But if your TJ is a 2005 or 2006, they are integrated into just one module so they are not replaceable separately. :)

FuelPressureRegulator1.jpg

FuelPressureRegulator2.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I 100% agree with what Jerry said.

Here's a link to a Bosch replacement fuel pump:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZGCWY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yes, it really is worth the money. This unit will outlast any cheap unit you'd buy at AutoZone or similar.

That's likely what your issue is, the fuel pump.

If your issue only happens when the engine is hot (which happened to me on my old XJ) it's likely fuel injector heat soak, which is a somewhat common issue on the 4.0 engine.

BTW, I 100% agree with what Jerry said.

Here's a link to a Bosch replacement fuel pump:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZGCWY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yes, it really is worth the money. This unit will outlast any cheap unit you'd buy at AutoZone or similar.

That's likely what your issue is, the fuel pump.

If your issue only happens when the engine is hot (which happened to me on my old XJ) it's likely fuel injector heat soak, which is a somewhat common issue on the 4.0 engine.

Hey guys, yea it seems to start up faster if I just had it running a couple minutes before but if I let it sit for even a half hour it does the same. When I prime it 4-5 times before I start it (no matter what the temp is outside) it starts right up. I store my jeep in a heated garage too for Winter months

The fuel pressure regulator is rarely the sole cause of that problem, its main job is to relieve excessive fuel pressure. I've replaced just the FPR a couple times to try to fix that problem years ago but only replacing the actual fuel pump ever truly fixed it. There's a check valve inside that fails which allows fuel that is supposed to remain up at the top of the engine for fast starts to instead drain back down into the fuel tank. The slow start is how long it takes the pump to get fuel back up to the engine.

I would buy the entire fuel pump/FPR assembly as a unit and make sure to avoid the cheap crap made by companies like Spectra, Airtex, or any of the store brands like are sold by Autozone. This is a PITA job to do so you don't want to have to redo. A Spectra I installed years ago lasted me all of 13 months, one month past its warranty.

The ONLY brand of fuel pump I'll recommend is Bosch which is also who is the OEM for the factory fuel pump. My Jeep can sit two months without being started but it'll start up instantly every time since installing the Bosch 3-4 years ago. Amazon.com is a great source for the Bosch fuel pump, just make sure to check the p/n that it is correct for your model year.

Last hint... to reduce the time it takes to crank the engine before it starts, cycle the ignition switch on-off-on 6-8 times before turning the switch to start. That'll give the fuel pump more time to get fuel back up to the engine.

These two photos show when I replaced just the FPR... it didn't fix the problem. The fuel pump is below inside the gas tank and is what the FPR is inserted into.

But if your TJ is a 2005 or 2006, they are integrated into just one module so they are not replaceable separately. :)

View attachment 7323
View attachment 7324

Also, is it dangerous to drive with a bad fuel pump? Like if I don't replace it soon, will it eventually give out completely? Thanks for all the info. Major help!!

Also, is it dangerous to drive with a bad fuel pump? Like if I don't replace it soon, will it eventually give out completely? Thanks for all the info. Major help!!

There's obviously no timetable on when it will go bad. However when it does eventually go bad it will just stop working and then you'll be stranded somewhere on the side of the road.

I had the same issue 2 days ago, I checked and cleaned all electrical connectors(full of mud) and also replaced fuel pump relay and now it's back to the way it should be. I learnt from a long time ago to use KISS, (keep it simple stupid) and before I go replacing all these parts I go through basics steps for trouble shooting and maintenance till I get to the real fault.

Reactions: Chris
Also, is it dangerous to drive with a bad fuel pump? Like if I don't replace it soon, will it eventually give out completely?
As Chris said but it sure sounds like the fuel pump is giving enough trouble that I wouldn't wait too long to replace it. The problem only gets worse, mine just suddenly would barely run and I couldn't get it out of the driveway since the engine wasn't getting enough gas.

What model year do you have?

As Chris said but it sure sounds like the fuel pump is giving enough trouble that I wouldn't wait too long to replace it. The problem only gets worse, mine just suddenly would barely run and I couldn't get it out of the driveway since the engine wasn't getting enough gas.

What model year do you have?

2004 SE 2.4l manual 5 speed

Reviving this thread.

I am having similar issues to the OP. For a few months now my 2002 4.0L has taken much longer to startup. It also runs really rich/rough idle for the first few minutes that the engine is warming up.

I've read about replacing the fuel injectors, as well as replacing the entire fuel pump in the gas tank to fix the problem.

It seems that replacing the whole fuel pump is the more likely solution?

Reviving this thread.

I am having similar issues to the OP. For a few months now my 2002 4.0L has taken much longer to startup. It also runs really rich/rough idle for the first few minutes that the engine is warming up.

I've read about replacing the fuel injectors, as well as replacing the entire fuel pump in the gas tank to fix the problem.

It seems that replacing the whole fuel pump is the more likely solution?

I am not at all a guru like Jerry and Chris but I would maybe look into cleaning your iac valve (idle air control valve). These things can get sticky and clogged up. It very well may be a fuel pump issue but this is a easy thing to do and try. Just need a rag and some choke/carburetor cleaner.

I actually have a question myself for Jerry & Chris, or anybody that can help. I need a new fuel pump/assembly for my 2000 Wranger 2.5L. I believe I need the Bosch (67655) but I can’t find it anywhere. Amazon appears to have everything but this one. Did they stop making the pump for my year or Is there another option that will fit in my 2000. Thanks guys!

Just now saw that the 67655 was discontinued by Bosch and now I can only get the pump. Can I get by without the whole assembly and just replacing the pump or should I go with the Delphi pump & assembly? Jeep will not run. Engine is not getting fuel. Pretty sure the pump is out for sure but not sure if anything else needs replaced. Rather do it right and do it once.

Last edited:
Just now saw that the 67655 was discontinued by Bosch and now I can only get the pump. Can I get by without the whole assembly and just replacing the pump or should I go with the Delphi pump & assembly? Jeep will not run. Engine is not getting fuel. Pretty sure the pump is out for sure but not sure if anything else needs replaced. Rather do it right and do it once.
Depending on the problem, replacing just the fuel pump is normally a good way to go. The Bosch 69316 is the one I'd go for like at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The only time I'd not go with the fuel pump as the fix would be if the fuel system was losing pressure immediately after shutting the ignition off. In that case the fix is usually a new replacement fuel pressure regulator.

Whatever you buy, avoid store brands, Airtex, or Spectre. The only other brand I'd consider is Delphi.

Reactions: ShawnG55
Hey guys I'm going to revive this thread with a similar issue I'm having on my 99 2.5. I have to key it on about 4-5 times to get it to fire up smoothly. It drives fine right after but when its left to sit for at least a 30 min or so I have to key it on 4-5 times again to build pressure. If I turn it off once it started and fire it up back up right after it starts up fine. My question is if it's just a faulty regulator or should I get a new assembly? I found that the bosch brand for the 19 gallon tank is no longer made.

Jerry...I just ordered a Bosch fuel pump (69316) for my 2003 TJ with the 4.0. I couldn't find an entire Bosch fuel pump assembly (which includes the fuel pressure regulator) for my Jeep. Which FPR should I order to be installed with the new fuel pump? Apparently, the new pump includes the screen. Is there anything more that I need to order that comes with the full assembly that I won't get with the pump alone? Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I've a bit of un with my FPR..

first I lowered the tank and replaced the hose that connects the FPR with the fuel line, because I had gas dripping down the tank, and I guessed it was the hose conector.

that didnt fix the dripping so I had to lower it again, and replaced the FPR.. a o-ring was broken so that was the source of the gas leak - gas leak gone. I went with a $60 FPR from amazon, because I read a lot that the cheap $15 ones don't work at all.

I was lucky.. the $60 one was bad too, and after installing it I had to turn the key 5-6 times before the engine started..

So I went ahead and ordered another FPR - this time Mopar for $150.. lowered the tank again, and replaced it - again.

Guess what... the problem didn't change at all.. still need to turn the key 5-6 times before the engine starts... any ideas? I did the blow-thru test with the Mopar and it worked fine - couldn't blow thru at all.

Having issues with starting. Based on what I have read it seems to be the fuel pressure regulator. Instead of pulling the tank and going through that mess has anyone just installed an inline fuel pressure regulator to save themselves from pulling the tank when this check valve goes bad after 3-5 years? If so, can you recommend the part used that fits the 4.0 psi and flow ratings needed. Thx