Is this a bad paint job?

Did you do the whole jeep? How big of a job was it and how much did it require?
Yes I did the whole jeep, same color. I just wet sanded with 2000 grit first. Nothing fancy just smooth it up. After all it's a jeep. Took off what I could taped the rest. 4 or 5 cans. I know it sounds like a hack but it came out even better than I thought. I've told people I painted it but not how I did it and have been told good job

Reactions: Capt'n
Yes I did the whole jeep, same color. I just wet sanded with 2000 grit first. Nothing fancy just smooth it up. After all it's a jeep. Took off what I could taped the rest. 4 or 5 cans. I know it sounds like a hack but it came out even better than I thought. I've told people I painted it but not how I did it and have been told good job

Well hell that might be a good option. One day I'd love to have a high quality repaint done, but right now I would be elated to have it look solid from 5 or 10 feet and call it a day.

replacement fenders from amazon, 90 bucks with auto motive touch
20190412_141929.jpg
up paint
20190412_141908.jpg

Reactions: pagrey and JMT
Hey chris you've got more of an idea than me. I've gotten a few quotes to have it wrapped in matte Gobi, and it seems to come in around 2000-2500. Sound about right?

That seems a bit high. I priced it out in Los Angeles (probably one of the higher priced markets) and I did find a place that would do it for $1250. But most were $2500-$3500. And that was for a custom pattern. Not just a plain color. (I wanted mine done in night camo.) I'd keep looking. Wrapping vehicles isn't rocket science. They have kits to do it yourself. Not that I'm suggesting you do it yourself. Just that - don't think this has to cost alot of money because of expertise. It doesn't. Especially on a Jeep. It's not a show car.

I've heard other guys on here getting even cheaper prices for a wrap. Like $750. But they live in more rural areas. You might check further away from you. In less populated areas. I also went to CL. Alot of wrap guys advertise on there.

Personally I'd either go for a wrap job first. Or paint it yourself in a flat color second. If you have any rough edges from the paint or clear coat coming off. Those will show thru. But not badly. It doesn't look like you have any big flakes or anything. Those will show a line. Not sure if paint could cover that. But you could sand it out smooth before painting. Green or black are easy colors to get right. But again, a wrap would look best.

Oldguys Jeep above looks great though. That might be a solid option. I personally wouldn't change colors though. Nothing looks worse than a paint color change that isn't on the inside too IMHO.

Sounds like you have a realistic attitude about it though. If it looks good from 5 to 10ft away you doing good. My paint is scratched up big time. I plan to just use those touch up pens that have paint and clear coat. And hope for the same thing. Good enough from 10ft away is good enough for me and a Jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolf1790
That seems a bit high. I priced it out in Los Angeles (probably one of the higher priced markets) and I did find a place that would do it for $1250. But most were $2500-$3500. And that was for a custom pattern. Not just a plain color. (I wanted mine done in night camo.) I'd keep looking. Wrapping vehicles isn't rocket science. They have kits to do it yourself. Not that I'm suggesting you do it yourself. Just that - don't think this has to cost alot of money because of expertise. It doesn't. Especially on a Jeep. It's not a show car.

I've heard other guys on here getting even cheaper prices for a wrap. Like $750. But they live in more rural areas. You might check further away from you. In less populated areas. I also went to CL. Alot of wrap guys advertise on there.

Personally I'd either go for a wrap job first. Or paint it yourself in a flat color second. If you have any rough edges from the paint or clear coat coming off. Those will show thru. But not badly. It doesn't look like you have any big flakes or anything. Those will show a line. Not sure if paint could cover that. But you could sand it out smooth before painting. Green or black are easy colors to get right. But again, a wrap would look best.

Oldguys Jeep above looks great though. That might be a solid option. I personally wouldn't change colors though. Nothing looks worse than a paint color change that isn't on the inside too IMHO.

Sounds like you have a realistic attitude about it though. If it looks good from 5 to 10ft away you doing good. My paint is scratched up big time. I plan to just use those touch up pens that have paint and clear coat. And hope for the same thing. Good enough from 10ft away is good enough for me and a Jeep.

Agreed, I think I may do Oldguys idea with a color match. A color change is in my jeeps future, but that's way way way down the line. I'm fine with red for the time being, just want to improve the look.

Hey chris you've got more of an idea than me. I've gotten a few quotes to have it wrapped in matte Gobi, and it seems to come in around 2000-2500. Sound about right?

Yep, that sounds dead on accurate in comparison to the vinyl wrap quotes I got for my TJ.