Is this a good deal for a JK Rubicon?

Hookandladder128

So I've had tons of friends in the jeep family, always wanted to join. So I've been looking. Found a 2010 unlimited Rubicon with 94,099 miles for 23,000. Is that a good deal or not?

So I've had tons of friends in the jeep family, always wanted to join. So I've been looking. Found a 2010 unlimited Rubicon with 94,099 miles for 23,000. Is that a good deal or not?

You could absolutely get a sweet TJR for 23 k though

Not a lot of JK input on this TJ forum, but some. That might or might not be a good deal, but I wouldn't buy any JK prior to 2012 with the 3.8L minivan engine. It's too gutless. I've had the 3.8 and the newer 3.6. There's no comparison.
So the 3.6 is the better engine. See it more in the sports

So the 3.6 is the better engine. See it more in the sports

3.6 is the 2012 and newer engine. Don't bother with the 3.8L. It is notorious for being slow and for burning oil.

Though, considering this is a 1997-2006 specific forum, I think many of us are going to push you in the direction of getting a 97-06 wrangler (AKA a Jeep TJ).

It has nothing to do with the model. They started using the 3.6 in 2012 in every JK, and is still being used in the JL models. And yes, it is the better engine, by far.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I wouldn’t buy a JK unless it was a 2012 or newer... then again, I wouldn’t buy a JK at all ;) Almost made that mistake once.

The 3.8 engine that came in the 07-11 models is garbage.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
I wouldn’t buy a JK unless it was a 2012 or newer... then again, I wouldn’t buy a JK at all ;) Almost made that mistake once.

The 3.8 engine that came in the 07-11 models is garbage.
I did make the mistake once. 2012 JKUR with the new motor. After it went into limp mode the 3rd time, the dealer's mechanic told me to get rid of it.

Reactions: TJ2
I did make the mistake once. 2012 JKUR with the new motor. After it went into limp mode the 3rd time, the dealer's mechanic told me to get rid of it.

You made the right choice. I can't say I hate them entirely, since they're still Wranglers. However, I prefer the ability to wrench on my own Jeep without having to rely on a ton of diagnostic machines, equipment, and other electronic b.s.

Reactions: luk4mud
You made the right choice. I can't say I hate them entirely, since they're still Wranglers. However, I prefer the ability to wrench on my own Jeep without having to rely on a ton of diagnostic machines, equipment, and other electronic b.s.
That's exactly what drew me back to a TJ/LJ. Simplicity, capability, relatively young (compared to Toyota 80 series) combined with some modern safety and convenience features.

Reactions: Chris
It is not a good deal. But again it depends on how you want to use your rig. 3.8 vs. 3.6 engine is very different.
I've owned or extensively driven both and while I dont see as big of a difference as others suggest, there is one. Agreed that the one the OP posted is not a great deal, I would keep looking, but would not rule out a pre-2012.

Just one suggestion based upon personal experience and the dealer's advice- stay away from the 2012, period. It was the transition year from the 3.8 to the 3.6 and can be very buggy.

Not a lot of JK input on this TJ forum, but some. That might or might not be a good deal, but I wouldn't buy any JK prior to 2012 with the 3.8L minivan engine. It's too gutless. I've had the 3.8 and the newer 3.6. There's no comparison.
Truth!

Agree that the 3.8 is underpowered.. years ago, I test drove one, and decided no way, and kept the TJ. But then I tested a few 2 door 3.6Ls over the years, wow, for a Jeep it's impressive. I had had 3 TJ's as well including a TJR for 12 years. I love my new '18 JK as it's a DD as well. The power and comfort are awesome, when you punch that pedal and the Jeep really moves, has some balls and speed. My family actually likes riding in the Jeep again too. Got to be a major battle every time with the TJ. I still miss my TJR for sentimental reasons, but the JK is just better for me in every way. A ton smoother but still rides like a Jeep.