Is this a good wheel and tire size for daily driver?

pixologics

TJ Enthusiast
I have 33x12.5 on 15 inch Pro-comp wheels (not sure aluminum or steel). With rubicon stock gear ratio 4.10.

I am wondering if I get it back to stock tire and wheel specs and it would give it a boost in pickup and freeway performance. I am not trying to win some drag race but I wanted to know if the tire/wheel swap would make a drastic difference?

Also, would it need some lift adjustment (lowering) if I go from 15 to 16 or 16 wheel as per stock specs.

Or I should just look into lesser wider tire on the current wheel 15inch set-up?

I am looking more towards city/freeway and some light trails.

IMG20210324190303.jpg

Going down in tire size will give you some pep of course, since it’ll be like gearing up. How much will depend on your transmission, most people will recommend 4.56 for 33s to give stock like performance back.

Going down in tire size will give you some pep of course, since it’ll be like gearing up. How much will depend on your transmission, most people will recommend 4.56 for 33s to give stock like performance back.
Hmm I am not looking for fiddling with gearing stuff. It's a 6 speed manual transmission and default gearing of rubicon.

For a daily driver I would want 15x8 wheels and 31” tires.
Just to clarify in 15x8 the 8 is the depth of the wheel? So does it mean to look out for another wheel in this case since the on I have us holding wider tire.

Just to clarify in 15x8 the 8 is the depth of the wheel? So does it mean to look out for another wheel in this case since the on I have us holding wider tire.
8” is the width of the wheel. While some will run 10” wide wheels, I would never suggest that unless you have a larger tire with a 12.5” width or more. Most 32” tires are going to be 10.5” in width which will be perfect for a 15x8 wheel.

Hmm I am not looking for fiddling with gearing stuff. It's a 6 speed manual transmission and default gearing of rubicon.
Well people have differing opinions but some people will say they are happy with 4.10s on 33's with a 6 speed. While a lot recommend 4.56.

I'm kinda annoyed with my 31's on my stock 6 speed rubicon. Feels like the gearing is too short, especially on the highway, but I haven't tried 33's yet, so I'm not sure how much they bog the acceleration down.

To lower the lift you'd need shorter springs and likely shocks to get the desired travel ratio.

Well people have differing opinions but some people will say they are happy with 4.10s on 33's with a 6 speed. While a lot recommend 4.56.

I'm kinda annoyed with my 31's on my stock 6 speed rubicon. Feels like the gearing is too short, especially on the highway, but I haven't tried 33's yet, so I'm not sure how much they bog the acceleration down.

To lower the lift you'd need shorter springs and likely shocks to get the desired travel ratio.
I see what you mean. Wish if you were local and I would have given you mine to try and get a feel.

So 31 on 15x8 wheel would not work with a 3 inch lift.

8” is the width of the wheel. While some will run 10” wide wheels, I would never suggest that unless you have a larger tire with a 12.5” width or more. Most 32” tires are going to be 10.5” in width which will be perfect for a 15x8 wheel.
Thanks for suggesting. One more question do you think there are buyers for these wheel and tires if I plan to downgrade?
Not sure what is their used market value. The tires have 70% tread Falken wildpeak A/T 33x12.5

Thanks for suggesting. One more question do you think there are buyers for these wheel and tires if I plan to downgrade?
Not sure what is their used market value. The tires have 70% tread Falken wildpeak A/T 33x12.5
Absolutely someone will buy them. Not sure for how much, but it’s always better to start high and go low. Depends on the tire condition largely.

Reactions: pixologics
I have a 6 speed and 33x10.50 ko2’s and previously had 31x10.50 ko2’s. I still have 3.73s but I will be regearing soon to 4.56’s for off-road purposes. As for day to day driving, 33x10.50’s, stock gearing, and the 6 speed make for a very pleasant combination. I rarely use 6th anymore but after the 33’s were installed I finally began using 1st gear which to me was too low to be useful on the street with small tires. Last thing- the difference you can feel in power and handling between a 10.50 and a 12.50 33 is more significant than one would think. For your setup my vote would be a street friendly all-terrain 33x10.50.

I was looking for way to avoid re adjusting lifts and see if a taller tire/wheel that comes in JL could work. Like JEEP WRANGLER 18"INCH WHEELS WITH 255/70/18 or 275/70/17

I was looking for way to avoid re adjusting lifts and see if a taller tire/wheel that comes in JL could work. Like JEEP WRANGLER 18"INCH WHEELS WITH 255/70/18
That would be a 32-10-18 almost as tall but nice an narrow. Those larger wheel size 17+ tires tend to be higher load rated. This makes for a stiffer and heavier tire. That makes for a rougher ride and can degrade performance/mpg’s

Trying to figure out some solution in which I won't have to get work done in lift and I could swap/rotate these 33s and some other size that would be city/freeway oriented.

I like to go to www.tiresize.com to research the various equivalent tire size options. Have you considered keeping your current set and get another set on rims for daily driving? The daily set could be stock (or a size up) all-season tires on 15x8 rims that will give you the speed you need to avoid getting pulled over for going to slow in the right lane;-) And save those bad boys for off-road adventures. You won’t need to compromise with tires that are too loud on the highway but not quite enough for the trail.