Is this a good wheel and tire size for daily driver?

I like to go to www.tiresize.com to research the various equivalent tire size options. Have you considered keeping your current set and get another set on rims for daily driving? The daily set could be stock (or a size up) all-season tires on 15x8 rims that will give you the speed you need to avoid getting pulled over for going to slow in the right lane;-) And save those bad boys for off-road adventures. You won’t need to compromise with tires that are too loud on the highway but not quite enough for the trail.
That's what I asked in my last post was just trying to figure out if lift would need to be re-worked.
Also, when we swap between these wheel in our home do they not need alignment/balance everytime?

The lift height has nothing to do with the lack of power. Put some 31s on and change to regular flares so it doesn't look ridiculous or regear it. I had no problems maintaining 80 mph speeds with 33s and my 6 speed. I usually took off in 2nd gear too. Maybe your front cats are getting clogged or you live in the mountains. Do you see these all around you on your highway drives?
View attachment 238598
Uhh no I see no animals only eagles in sky😊
What is front cats?
On a side note I wanted to mention that it was so easy to get to 80-85mph on my previous rusted jeep but with this one it seems like a challenge not sure whether it's extra weight of accessories or tires.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
There are two small catalytic converters up front on the exhaust. Sometimes they start to fall apart and clog, causing a lack of power. Are your spark plugs good? My Jeep is my daily driver, but I usually only drive 75 mph. Not a lot of hills around here either. That makes a huge difference.
View attachment 238666
If I could get to know where to look exactly for catalytic converter on exhaust I can inspect them. I am not sure about spark plugs but the engine does not show any such symptoms.
My analysis point to the heavy accessories like winch, and an ARB tire carrier gate might be adding to the weight along with the beefy 33x12.5.

I love the color combination of your Jeep. What is the tire size you have there?

My analysis point to the heavy accessories like winch, and an ARB tire carrier gate might be adding to the weight along with the beefy 33x12.5.

I love the color combination of your Jeep. What is the tire size you have there?
You are probably right about the weight. Hard top too. 35s on mine. I might be ditching my heavy 10" wide steel wheels for some lighter 8" aluminum ones soon.

Reactions: pixologics
Large, oversized tires have a greater affect on “drivability” than just the actual weight of the tires/rims. I remember a thread discussing oversized tires and their affect. Couldn’t find the thread but here a few affects I can recall, which may or may not be accurate.
-Increased torque requirements of larger diameter.
-Increased drag from size and tread on the ground.
-Increased tire/wheel weight has a 3-4x “effective” weight increase. (If memory is correct. Where’s the rocket scientist when you need one.) Increasing the tire weight by 20 lbs each has a similar affect as putting two people in the back seat. After adding all these factors together, your TJ is working harder than necessary to get you to work in the morning.

Based on this information, I decided to keep my tires close to stock sizes, which work great at 50-60 mph in the hills with ice and snow for 6-7 months of the year. (Fun to live in a place where pre-production cars are cold weather tested, including the Gladiator. Never sure of the make and model of the small sedans but we could instantly recognize a black and white camo-wrapped brick with a truck bed!)

Reactions: pixologics
Do you think 31x10.5 would be much better than 33x10.5?

In the same 15x8 wheel. Both properly geared.

If yes, why?
For a daily driver the 31” will be better because it’s lighter and smaller.

Reactions: TJim
Hi all: I was wondering what is a good tire size for daily driving 31 or 33 in tire? and whats a good all-terrian tire I was thinking ko2 but is there any thing better? I have a automatic transmission. Thanks!!

Hi all: I was wondering what is a good tire size for daily driving 31 or 33 in tire? and whats a good all-terrian tire I was thinking ko2 but is there any thing better? I have a automatic transmission. Thanks!!
Guys will need to know your axle gearing and if you are staying with that or willing to change. Also, do you go off road, if so what type of trails/terrain?

If it's a Daily Driver, 31"-33" is fine- but as some have said already, you WILL get more "pep" with a smaller tire. 15" rims are fine if you don't intend to upgrade to bigger brakes. Honestly, a new set of tires and rims will set you back close to $600-$1000 (or more) depending on if you choose budget options or not. Could re-gear and gain the same amount of "pep" you're looking for for around $1200. I'd also do a 10.5" width for on-road performance.

So simple really! stock works best for a daily driver with exceptional occasional off road capability but it just doesn't look tough enough for so many :)
29,s look the same on a stock as 31,s on a 2inch lift plus being short in stature has its advantages and disadvantages with a TJ. lol

If it's a Daily Driver, 31"-33" is fine- but as some have said already, you WILL get more "pep" with a smaller tire. 15" rims are fine if you don't intend to upgrade to bigger brakes. Honestly, a new set of tires and rims will set you back close to $600-$1000 (or more) depending on if you choose budget options or not. Could re-gear and gain the same amount of "pep" you're looking for for around $1200. I'd also do a 10.5" width for on-road performance.
thanks!

So simple really! stock works best for a daily driver with exceptional occasional off road capability but it just doesn't look tough enough for so many :)
29,s look the same on a stock as 31,s on a 2inch lift plus being short in stature has its advantages and disadvantages with a TJ. lol
I agree. That's why I went back to tiny 29" tires on my old Jeep. Looks so much better too.:rolleyes:
zone lift 2 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg
zone lift 1 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

I like my 235/75 R15s KO2s, which are basically 29s. Road noise isn't an issue, I can hear my music whether it's Stan Getz or Trombone Shorty.

For a daily driver I would want 15x8 wheels and 31” tires.
I've currently got 245/70/R16s on but I've picked up some 15" Grizzly wheels. Debating if I go for 30s or 31s on them. Would I see much of a difference either way? Also, the stock grizzlies are 15x8 or 15x7? Seem to see conflicting answers about that online.

I've currently got 245/70/R16s on but I've picked up some 15" Grizzly wheels. Debating if I go for 30s or 31s on them. Would I see much of a difference either way? Also, the stock grizzlies are 15x8 or 15x7? Seem to see conflicting answers about that online.
Wouldn’t make much of a difference. Not sure on the width though.

I go to www.tiresize.com to compare sizes. 245/70/R15
30x9.5/R15 vs. 31X10.5/R15 - 31s will add 3/4” of stature to your Jeep and weigh about 10lbs more per tire. Since my Jeep is a do-everything-Alaskan, I went with smaller tires, 235/75/R15 (29X9.3/R15) that allow for a little more pep so I avoid being the head of the snake and also a good size for local trails. If you prefer the look of your 15” Grizzly Rims, 30X9.5x15 drive the same as your 243/70/R16s.

The 4.10s in my 06 Rubi match the speedo perfectly on 32" tires. Perfectly to GPS speedo. And I feel no loss of power or acceleration. And may help lower highway rpms a bit letting you cruise long distance a bit more economically. But for daily town driving the 32's work excellent with the 6 speed. That low first gear gives plenty of acceleration from a stoplight (for a 4.0) and 32's can be used without a lift under in-town driving. And probably for mild offroad use too. I have a 2 1/2" OME so can't say for certain.
I feel the TJ on 32's is about the ideal tire without needing a lot of other upgrades to get it to work. This is from an East coast guy. I'm not out in Johnson Valley or Hell's Revenge. Most trails around me are trails. Not moonscapes.
—-just one guy's opinion. —-

Reactions: kanur and Doug-AK