Is this a normal noise?

jwilkinson01

TJ Enthusiast
Original poster
Supporting Member
Just finished swapping in a 4.0 from a wreck, started for the first time today. This is the first time I’ve been able to start the Jeep in 7 years so I don’t really remember how it is supposed to sound but this seems noisy to me:

The place I got the engine from said it was tested.

Appreciate all thoughts

Almost sounds like the Purge Solenoid continually clicking…

That’s a possibility I hadn’t even considered. I can’t tell what part of the engine compartment it’s coming from, all the sound just seems to bounce around in there. The Jeep was very hard to start, cranks fine but really had to give it gas both times I started it. New no name fuel pump may be the problem there.

That is a really loud purge solenoid….
Verify the condition of the vapor purge hoses in the engine compartment and that there is vacuum to one of those rubber hoses.
The ECM controls the operation of the Purge solenoid.

That is a really loud purge solenoid….
Verify the condition of the vapor purge hoses in the engine compartment and that there is vacuum to one of those rubber hoses.
The ECM controls the operation of the Purge solenoid.

The new one isn't nearly as loud but still clicks constantly, should it do that? One of the hoses is brand new because I accidentally broke it moving it to pull the engine.

BTW I am extremely impressed that you identified that right off the bat like that.

When your engine is OFF; the Purge Solenoid is CLOSED. During engine operation the ECM continually energizes and OPENs the solenoid to purge fuel vapors and allow them to be drawn into the engine to burn; instead of going into the atmosphere.