Is this a Sahara?

TJJeep4Sale

Supporting Member
Hi everyone. I am looking at a clean 1 owner 2000 TJ sahara with the 6 cylinder as my first Jeep. It's labeled a sahara, but has black plastic OEM style fenders. I thought saharas had painted fenders. Is this a red flag? No accidents on carfax

Hi everyone. I am looking at a clean 1 owner 2000 TJ sahara with the 6 cylinder as my first Jeep. It's labeled a sahara, but has black plastic OEM style fenders. I thought saharas had painted fenders. Is this a red flag? No accidents on carfax
IF you can.... post a link to a few pictures....
AFAIK.... Sahara's came with painted fenders
Check the VIN to see what it says.....
Position 6 on the VIN would have a 5 indicating its a Sahara or a 4 indicating its a Sport.

Carfax says sahara
SmartSelect_20220126-083437_craigslist.jpg

Those fenders didn’t come on it, but it has the other color matched piece. Looks legit to me.

Reactions: AndyG
Good looking Jeep.
Certainly looks like a Sahara.
Check the VIN numbering... as posted above.
I agree it looks genuine-And the green and tan seats on the inside will tell the tale-but the vin is the proof-

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done to one before but I can’t say it looks bad

I thought the same thing. I told him I would venmo or zelle him a deposit to hold it for me and he said he would let me know if any one else contacts him and is seriously interested and he'll take my deposit then. Fingers crossed.

Looks really clean. if you can get some photos of the frame. I also have a Sahara with black fenders. One of mine cracked and I painted some replacements.

Edit: Go buy that thing today!!! That mileage and price are stellar for the market today.

I asked for pics of the undercarriage but it was dark when I asked and it's a CA truck so he didnt even have pics. he says nothing but normal oxidation. Obviously Im planning on crawling under there myself when I see it but so far he's responsive and seems legit

FWIW, I can see a Sahara owner removing and replacing those flares much more easily than seeing a non-Sahara owner installing those rocker-panel trim pieces. They are hard to come by, and the track they slide into has to be drilled into the tub. So while I don't know why a Sahara owner would replace the flares, I find that more believable than the alternative.

Edit: Oh yea, saw the other pics. Definitely a Sahara. At least the PO replaced the fender flares with extra-wide ones, to be closer to the Sahara originals.

yep as said before, I wouldn't wait until Monday, because your going to hate it if someone shows up with $15k in cash and he sells it. that thing is sweet and low mileage.

yep as said before, I wouldn't wait until Monday, because your going to hate it if someone shows up with $15k in cash and he sells it. that thing is sweet and low mileage.
I agree unfortunately there isn't much I can do. He's 3 hours away or 4 hours if I go at a bad time with LA traffic and the sun sets at 5 o clock right now I want to see it in the day light. I work the rest of the week and the weekend I've got a family funeral on Saturday and plans Sunday. I've assured him that I think his price is fair and that if everything checks out I intend to pay it, I even offered a deposit to hold it, he says if he gets any one else interested he'll contact me regarding a deposit but until then I am just planning on Monday leaving at the ass crack of dawn.

Additionally I asked about the non-stock fenders and he says they were added to cover the new upgraded/bigger tires. But I thought the saharas fenders were already wider, but maybe these are even wider?

If I end up picking it up I will update this thread. Thanks for all your help and cross your fingers for me.