Is this acceptable??

wade Quilter

Hey all - I recently was able to get my hands on a full set of Moab wheels with MT Goodrich tires. It took a little effort, and an additional purchase of wheel adapters. But I got the wheels on. This is a pretty big difference from my previous wheels - I went from 15" to 17" rims. My worry is that they make the Jeep look like a mall crawler. Not that I do any serious wheeling, but I do not want it to look like a @$%* Hummer that has never left the pavement.
Jeep New Wheels 2.png
Jeep New Wheels 1.png

Reactions: JMT
I don't like anything bigger than 16" wheels on TJs. Those wheels look too big to me on a TJ. The reason they look okay on a JK is because of it's much larger wheel arches.

However, it doesn't look completely horrible. Personally though, I'd put 15" or 16" wheels on there. I like the look of a bigger tire and a smaller wheel.

But this is just preference, and that's only my opinion.

Looks good to me. If I found the right deal, I'd jump. Its getting harder and harder to find tires in the smaller rim sizes. 15's aren't too bad, but 16" wheels suck. I love the look of Moabs, but don't like my 16" wheel options. 17" wheels will have more tire options, probably even a C range tire. My biggest concern with the factory wheels is that they run a less than ideal backspacing. 5 or 5.5 inches on an 8 inch wheel is too much, unless you want to run pizza cutters.

Reactions: Head Lice and MSB19
I'd rather have 17's than 16's. You have a horrible choice for 16's.

And with 17's, you have the ability to install larger brakes. :)

I'd rather have 17's than 16's. You have a horrible choice for 16's.

And with 17's, you have the ability to install larger brakes. :)

The Rubicon I just bought has the stock 16" wheels, but it had brand new M/T's on it, so once they need replacing I'll go down to 15's for the tire selection.

You dig it and that is all that matters. What I don't like is the weights on the outer rim. I always ask for inside the wheel. Supposedly the way yours are is more accurate but, I have seen weights knocked off while wheeling but not discovered until driving home with a horribly out of balance tire.

The other thing I see, your weather looks gorgeous! Lose the top and doors, man! :D

Reactions: Head Lice and JMT
Looks good. Like other have said as long as you like it that is all that matters.

Find the nearest mud hole and and hit that skinny pedal hard and no one will think you have a mall crawler.

The other thing I see, your weather looks gorgeous! Lose the top and doors, man! :D

x2 on loosing the doors and top. Weather looks fantastic in the picture

Reactions: Head Lice
You dig it and that is all that matters. What I don't like is the weights on the outer rim. I always ask for inside the wheel. Supposedly the way yours are is more accurate but, I have seen weights knocked off while wheeling but not discovered until driving home with a horribly out of balance tire.

I totally agree with you - the weather up here in Santa Fe is fantastic. And I took the windows off last night :)

doors off.png

Reactions: Rob5589
Those are the tires and wheels I have. As for the bumpers, they were custom made by a family friend. I like the bumpers, but they are made of thick steel and weigh down my little 2.5L more than I'd like.
Another 4 banger, welcome! Yea, keeping em as light as possible is key when powered by the 4 angry squirrles:D