Is this axle-side control arm bushing welded on?

Brad W

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Doing a control arm bushing swap on the axle l and I tried everything to get it off. IDK if I'm seeing things but is this bushing welded on?

20190112_205640.jpg

I would like to, but that bushing will not come out and it looks to be welded on.

The Currie unit requires that entire mount to be cut off and a new one welded on. It’s a much better solution than the stock mount though, and it has a Johnny Joint in it.

That isn't the stock mount. Is what is in the mount a rubber bushing? That's a lot of weld for a thin Cleavite shell.

You would have to grind off the welds, beat out whatever is in there and see if any new bushing would fit. Tim

The Currie unit requires that entire mount to be cut off and a new one welded on. It’s a much better solution than the stock mount though, and it has a Johnny Joint in it.

Well this looks like to be my only option at this point lol.
Is what is in the mount a rubber bushing? That's a lot of weld for a thin Cleavite shell.

It was not a traditional rubber bushing. It was a johnny joint. It was extremely loose thats why I was looking to replace it.

It was not a traditional rubber bushing. It was a johnny joint. It was extremely loose thats why I was looking to replace it.

Good. You can just replace the Johnny Joint. You'll need to make a small press and get a snap ring pliers.

It looks like this is my only option. Is grinding off the mount a pro job? I have a grinder and such but I really dont want to mess up the axle.

Is this something that people commonly do? That seems like a pretty useless and short sighted repair... I think a death wheel, a grinder, and some patience might be your only option if you want to reuse the mount.

Also, couldn't welding ruin the joint immediately? I feel like that amount of heat would do some damage.