Is this axle-side control arm bushing welded on?

What jjvw is saying is put a new johnny joint in and reinstall the bushings, washers and c-clips.

Reactions: jjvw
This thread really makes me realize how little I know about control arms. Would you typically replace the "tube" along with everything else when doing this job? Are joints typically welded like this? Why would someone do this if not?

Reactions: KCsTJ
Reactions: jodomcfrodo
I honestly don't see any snap rings just metal. I didn't see any on the ground either.
If I had to guess, the open end of the clip is at about 2 o'clock. See eccentric ring with the fatter part at 8 o'clock?

19d292b9007b3b505127fccd45926f03.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Ouch. You might have luck tapping that middle section (the washer, I think) back it and getting snap ring pliers or a pic on the holes of the clip. Hopefully it's not to bent up to get out or the groove isn't to damaged to hold the new clip.

Reactions: Brad W
Make a homemade Johnny Joint press out of a pair of sockets, threaded rod, nuts and washers. Squeeze the outer washers together to compress the poly races. That should free up the c clip. Then you can dig at the clip to pull it out.

Inspect the groove for the c clip. Hopefully it is ok.

You'll need the JJ press to reinstall the new internals, along with a snap ring pliers.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
As long as that groove is ok, everything should be fine. Quite the picture, though!

Here's a Pirate thread about making a press. There may be better ones, but this came up right away. The goal is to squeeze the retainer washers together one way or another.

Pics of simple tool to assemble currie style JJ for those looking https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449534

Reactions: Brad W
As long as that groove is ok, everything should be fine. Quite the picture, though!

Here's a Pirate thread about making a press. There may be better ones, but this came up right away. The goal is to squeeze the retainer washers together one way or another.

Pics of simple tool to assemble currie style JJ for those looking https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449534

Samsung S9 FTW.

I was looking at this tread earlier. I might Go ahead and get the JJ tool for future use. All of my control arms have them.