Is this Dana 44 front axle worth buying?

connorwfrench

Hey guys! This Dana 44 front is up on FB for $450, needs a left lower control arm bracket, I’ll wire brush the whole thing, please give me input! Thanks!!
@Jerry Bransford @Chris

540D6814-E6D5-4D63-9F60-6A85AFC00B58.jpeg

6485B399-3F01-4EC3-87EE-CAEC3D980D8A.jpeg

E51E19D9-524D-4EFB-8893-CA2B4C87A9C1.jpeg

9EEA707E-D7F0-4A5C-94F6-1E6F562AD9EC.jpeg

624BBE54-8F0F-4F76-85C8-38FC718EDF9F.jpeg

How much you think that would run me? Just offered him 400 hope he takes it! Thanks for getting back so quick i appreciate it.

I would suspect most places would charge around $100-$150 to take that thing down to bare metal and sand blast it. That would make it look brand new, you'd just have to paint it or have it powder coated.

I would suspect most places would charge around $100-$150 to take that thing down to bare metal and sand blast it. That would make it look brand new, you'd just have to paint it or have it powder coated.
Alright awesome you think total of $600 including gas and sandblast and 5 hour drive it worth it to have a front and rear Dana 44? Then I’ll be able to do 5.38 as well.

Alright awesome you think total of $600 including gas and sandblast and 5 hour drive it worth it to have a front and rear Dana 44? Then I’ll be able to do 5.38 as well.

Yeah, I would say that if you took it to a power coat shop they would probably do it for $200 (strip and powder coat it), at least all the powder shop places I know of. So you'd be into it $600 (plus the gas and time to pick it up). But you can run 5.38 gears, it will probably increase the resale value of your Jeep to some degree, and $600 isn't that bad when you consider that complete Rubicon axles front and rear go for around $2000 to $3000 for a set.

Yeah, I would say that if you took it to a power coat shop they would probably do it for $200 (strip and powder coat it), at least all the powder shop places I know of. So you'd be into it $600 (plus the gas and time to pick it up). But you can run 5.38 gears, it will probably increase the resale value of your Jeep to some degree, and $600 isn't that bad when you consider that complete Rubicon axles front and rear go for around $2000 to $3000 for a set.
Alright cool cool thanks!! Hoping he gets back to me 🤞

Just make sure you know what the total cost will be. Once you start adding up the housing, blasting, a carrier, locker, Ring & Pinion, axle shafts, bearings, seals, and other parts, it will get pricier than you think. Especially, if you have someone else do the work. I've been burned on a front 44 and won't do it again, unless I know the person I'm getting it from!

As a reference, here's an upgraded 44. I believe this one uses a Currie housing, which allows for stronger JK gears.

https://carbonoffroad.com/products/...ockjock-44-front-tj-complete-housing-with-arb

Alright cool cool thanks!! Hoping he gets back to me 🤞

No problem! Like @Irun said, just make sure you figure out the total cost since you'll need gears, axle shafts, a locker (or diff), etc. If you plan on building the axle anyways, then it works out, but if you just want something to bolt-in and go, it could add up.

Just make sure you know what the total cost will be. Once you start adding up the housing, blasting, a carrier, locker, Ring & Pinion, axle shafts, bearings, seals, and other parts, it will get pricier than you think. Especially, if you have someone else do the work. I've been burned on a front 44 and won't do it again, unless I know the person I'm getting it from!

As a reference, here's an upgraded 44. I believe this one uses a Currie housing, which allows for stronger JK gears.

https://carbonoffroad.com/products/...ockjock-44-front-tj-complete-housing-with-arb
Ahh yes that makes me wonder if i should save up and spend an extra 1k-1.5k on a brand new fully assembled or not. Hmm anybody have any other axle recommendations as well?

Ahh yes that makes me wonder if i should save up and spend an extra 1k-1.5k on a brand new fully assembled or not. Hmm anybody have any other axle recommendations as well?
Unless you know for a fact the housing isn’t bent, I’d pass on that.

Reactions: Irun
How do you know for a fact any used axle isn't bent unless it is obviously bent to begin with? It's not always obvious and not every seller would know.
Yes yes just came to conclusion that I’m not getting it, ima just wait until i get all the parts i need, things are still getting shipped in from pervious orders, and then go from there, if it was 30 mins away I’d go check it out, not worth the drive tho