Is this guy full of it?

Mrprez

Jeep Noob
Supporting Member
I was checking this video out and thought maybe this was ok until he said that his methods were for street Jeeps and not for off roading. Any other thoughts? He mentioned that he put springs from a JK on his TJ. Any thoughts on that?

Need more than 4" of lift for 35s. The JK swap was a thing a while back, its better to get parts made for your TJ. Regearing does in fact help MPGs. It puts your engine in the proper range while not lugging it and restores lost power. Auto vs manual doesnt matter :rolleyes: Hes cruising at 2k, I call that lugging.

Cheapest way to run 35s is the not the correct way to run 35s

Reactions: mots and Mrprez
He starts out ALMOST sounding like he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately that didn't last very long. I did watch the whole thing and was going to make a list of what he's lost on but I'm not sure if one post can fit all that in.

Here's some things that make me laugh:
He fastens his seat belt "because life matters" at 6:05 but he ends up driving through his/someone's(?) neighborhood while making this video. At least there weren't any kids playing in the front yards, I wouldn't have laughed about that.

Did anyone notice how "powerful" it "feels" at 6:25 ?

Did anyone get "an idea about the brakes" at 7:32 ? If you did, you probably did "get the picture" at 7:52.

I can't believe there exists a video covering the topic of Jeeps that are driven on the road only... Well I guess I can... I sent a real difference.

On our Forum some guys use their TJ for practical daily use....but the later model side have the Jeep world gives me the impression some people don't want to get their hands or feet dirty.

On the money, he is absolutely correct regarding gas mileage and driveline stress. Tall gears are harder on the clutch and engine Low gearing increases stress after the clutch, ujoints and axles. Lugging is about load, not just rpm. To accelerate you need to be closer to 3K rpm, but just cruising around, 2K rpm is not lugging unless you try to accelerate... hard. And 2K rpm does deliver better gas mileage under no load than 3K rpm. The problem is too many people don't drop a gear when they should......

Which explains why no one is building new vehicles with a clutch anymore.

And he qualifies his choices, he mostly drives on the street. He flat out says if you are more off road, you might benefit from deeper gears.

I wonder if he's ever driven a well built Jeep that has been regeared for it's tire size.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I stumbled on that video the other day didn’t finish watching it , quickly realized another video spewing nonsense. If that guy is on this form I will gladly let him drive my Jeep (which is geared correct for tires ) then get back in his channel and give a comparison Challenge is out there !

On the money, he is absolutely correct regarding gas mileage and driveline stress. Tall gears are harder on the clutch and engine Low gearing increases stress after the clutch, ujoints and axles. Lugging is about load, not just rpm. To accelerate you need to be closer to 3K rpm, but just cruising around, 2K rpm is not lugging unless you try to accelerate... hard. And 2K rpm does deliver better gas mileage under no load than 3K rpm. The problem is too many people don't drop a gear when they should......

Which explains why no one is building new vehicles with a clutch anymore.

And he qualifies his choices, he mostly drives on the street. He flat out says if you are more off road, you might benefit from deeper gears.
You ran 35” tires at 2k on the highway? Wow....never seen a Jeep that could hold speed at that rpm without the pedal being on the floor (lugging).

Reactions: Chris