Is this lateral play bad on u-joint rear driveshaft?

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
About to drive 200 miles and noticed this slight lateral play in u joint on rear driveshaft differential end

Attachments

• IMG_5486.MOV
    15.9 MB
Have you taken it out to grease? Make sure it is seated all the way into a yoke ears.

Otherwise no bueno, replace.

Reactions: connor grimes
There appears to be quite a bit of old grease and dirt collection which indicates the cup seals are leaking.... OR were over greased.
The cup on the side that I can see appears to be seated in the yoke properly, but that much lateral movement is not good.
Replace the U joint with a quality Spicer 5-1310X (non greasable) and this will give you peace of mind for your trip.

Yes, that is an issue that needs to be addressed. It could be any of the following.

1. The joint is worn out. Usually the joints don't wear on the ends though so without side to side (felt when rotating the shaft) play in the joint and bearing cap I don't think this is a wear issue.
  2. The joint is a cheap joint that is just made too narrow for the yoke. I don't know what brand joint you have but you'd have to have real bottom shelf stuff for this amount of play to exist.
  3. The yoke is bad. This can happen as a secondary result of a previous u-joint wearing out and then wearing against the yoke. It can also happen as a result of the yoke being distorted. Imagine the following: Your tire is on top of a boulder and you slide off, landing on the drive shaft. If oriented the right way this will slam the drive shaft against that itty bitty centering tab of the yoke. This can distort the yoke and make the spacing between the tabs too wide.
Number 3, a bad yoke, is my first guess. I suggest that you get a new joint, preferably a Spicer or Neapco brand, Then, without even installing it into the drive shaft, pop that joint into your pinion yoke. It should snap into place. If the new joint fits loose in the yoke you need to replace the yoke. Our friend Jarrett at Crawl TV did a YouTube video a couple years back that further helps to diagnose a bad pinion yoke.

Reactions: Daryl