Is this lifter tick?

xbrandonw

So I bought this Jeep a few months back with 213k miles and it ran good. Had a bit of a tick on start up then went away when warmed up, I’m told this is common with the 4.0 tj. However the ticking has gotten louder and when I give it gas the speed of the tick increases. Not sure if it’s lifter tick or something else possibly. Any help would be great! I’ll attach a video below but it’s not a great video can add more, all the lifters seem to be working fine in the video

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    19.1 MB
  • IMG_0955.MOV
    21.9 MB
Wants to open with my 'photo'. So can't hear it. Try a regular file.
New to this site. Not sure how to upload anything other than the way I uploaded it the first time. I wouldn’t care to try another way if you can tell me how though. Thanks

what year is your jeep ? mine barely makes that noise at startup sometimes most of the time it doesnt i always assumed it was a lifter or maybe the cracked head issue

what year is your jeep ? mine barely makes that noise at startup sometimes most of the time it doesnt i always assumed it was a lifter or maybe the cracked head issue
It’s a 2002, it just recently started making the noise full time. It seems to increase with throttle. I put a few YouTube links on here for a easier way to hear the noise.

ive got a 2002 aswell but since they were made in 2001 some of them got the bad head castings check your head to see if its a tupy head or not

not sure but that is the conclusion ive come to ive tried rotella for the lifters and i dont have exhausts leaks and ive only got 90k miles and ive got the weaker head casting so i just firgured thats what it was

Sounds like mine on a really cold start. Except mine goes away pretty quick.

I assume that's lifter tick. Sounds like a loud sewing machine.

2 things here.
I recommend take your oil pan off. and try to wiggle your connecting rods if they make clunking noise then you have a new problem. There should be nearly zero play in those connecting rods.

If that doesnt find an issue take the valve cover off and inspect your wear on your lifters/rods etc. But if its a hefty noise just start with the connecting rods. Also get a flashlight look at the bottom of your pistons looks for any cracking. If you have a leaky oil pan or havent changed your oil in awhile this is perfect time to do so.

X4 Zombie thread. For all we know, Brandon died five months ago. 🧟