Is this normal? Jeep still runs after pulling key out of ignition

Lane Page

My Jeep engine was running and I had to hop out and run back inside to grab my wallet and my lanyard hooked onto my leg and my key was pulled out of my ignition. Nothing happened just wondering if that is normal or not? The engine was running still normally. Is that meant to happen where the key can be inserted and removed while running the engine?

Mine will also run if I pull the key out of the ignition while it is on (without turning). Not sure if its normal.

Reactions: Lane Page
Well if you look closely on the dash I've noticed a light that shows a key with a line thru it or something so I guess it's not a huge problem?

I believe the key with the line is for the SKIM system.

I’ve not tried to remove the key while it’s running, but thats a nice feature if you locked the tailgate and need to get something out without shutting the engine off.

I second @Chris tumbler idea. @b0xcar has this problem too. He showed me last Saturday. It's weird, but not normal. I'd say don't worry about it unless it bothers you. If you get a new ignition cylinder they come with new tumblers and you can code them with your old key or re-key your doors with the new keys that come with the cylinder (too much trouble for me). You can do the other all by yourself at home. They cost ~$60 for non-skim and ~$70 for skim.

Last edited:
I believe the key with the line is for the SKIM system.

I’ve not tried to remove the key while it’s running, but thats a nice feature if you locked the tailgate and need to get something out without shutting the engine off.
I think its quite convenient also since my jeep key is on the same ring as my trucks. When I need to play the parking lot game with all the cars in the driveway it saves me from needing to turn off the jeep in order to move the truck.

Last edited:
My key/tumbler is worn too. Key slides out easily while the engine is running. It's kind of nice because I can pull the keys out an unlock the Tuffy box if needed without shutting down. On the other hand, I discovered this when the keys slid out and dropped to the floor while wheeling. Good thing they hit my leg on the way to the floor and I saw it happen or I wouldn't have known where my keys went . . . So I make sure to keep track of them out on the trail especially.

Mine just started doing this as well. I'm pretty happy about it considering I can unlock everything while the Jeep is running.

The key with the line through it on the dash is for the anti-theift system. One of my buddies could start my Jeep with his old Grand Cherokee key, but my Jeep would shut off after only a few seconds due to the fact that my key has a chip and his doesn't (well, at least not the correct chip for my Jeep).

It's more likely your key is worn. I can do the same, but when I use my spare that is rarely used, it won't come out. I actually like this feature for flat towing so I can keep my key out of the ignition.

Mine has been doing this for a long time now. It doesnt bother me and is actually convenient at times. As everyone else said, it is not normal. I would leave it alone until the jeep wont start anymore. It isn't hurting a thing.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Mine has been doing this for a long time now. It doesnt bother me and is actually convenient at times. As everyone else said, it is not normal. I would leave it alone until the jeep wont start anymore. It isn't hurting a thing.
That’s good to hear! Now that I know it won’t hurt anything it could be a handy feature to start using if I need too!

I think its quite convenient also since my jeep key is on the same ring as my trucks. When I need so play the parking lot game with all the cars in the driveway it saves me from needing to turn off the jeep in order to move the truck.
Same here with my keys ! Now that I know its okay, it’s gonna be a breeze when I gotta move the cars from the drive way!

It's more likely your key is worn. I can do the same, but when I use my spare that is rarely used, it won't come out. I actually like this feature for flat towing so I can keep my key out of the ignition.
It’s different for my keys when I tried my spare that never gets used it pulled out just as easily, I enjoy the feature now that I know it won’t hurt anything as well

Mine just started doing this as well. I'm pretty happy about it considering I can unlock everything while the Jeep is running.

The key with the line through it on the dash is for the anti-theift system. One of my buddies could start my Jeep with his old Grand Cherokee key, but my Jeep would shut off after only a few seconds due to the fact that my key has a chip and his doesn't (well, at least not the correct chip for my Jeep).
My Jeep is the same way one of my pals was moving my Jeep out of the driveway while I was gone and he used my dads truck key and it started and he moved it out of the driveway not realizing he was using the wrong keys until he parked it back. After hearing about others doing it as well because the tumblers worn I’m sure mine is worn as well, thanks for the reassurance :risas3::risas3:

Found the same non-problem by accident. After a few weeks in cold weather and needing to pick up take out food thought...Hey, this is alright. I can lock the car, leave it running, and take the key with me. Was going to fix it; but, decided it was OK until something does not work. So far so good and it has been 5 months.