Is this rust really bad?

Dyl

Hello all,

I'm new to off roading and looking to buy a wrangler TJ. Really excited for that!

There's this jeep that I'm quite keen but there's some rust. I only have some pics and won't be able to inspect it personally as it's in a different state.

I'm looking for advice from experienced people here reg if that rust is really bad or can be repaired?

Thanks guys. Sorry photos didnt get uploaded due to size. Here we go..
IMG_20022021_145920_(2560_x_1440_pixel).jpg
IMG_20022021_150030_(2560_x_1440_pixel).jpg

Reactions: tworley
Technically , all rust is bad. Good rust, good cancer, good VD is just hard to find.

At a glance, no that doesn't look terrible, but it tells me you need to look a lot closer and at the right places.

Also, you used the word keen. Just pointing that out. I'd probably wait 15-16 posts in before I laid that one on everybody.

gas skid rust isn’t hard to deal with...just get a new skid. However, there aren’t any pics of the frame, and I’m guessing there is serious rust there. I’d run far away.

I see. The problem is this is in a auction site so I don't think asking more photos will work and then the auction ends tomorrow. Ok I guess I'll have to keep looking.

It cost me $2500 to get my frame repair for both sides from the rear control arm mount to the front mount. It’s scheduled for next month. Rust can be very expensive. Do your due diligence and check!

Bless you guys man. We had a little salt used lately , and I'm out there with a frozen hose in 28 degree or less weather trying to wash it off ... thinking about you guys, all the salt, all winter. I really do respect that you guys push back.

Reactions: SD2001TJ
Hello all,

I'm new to off roading and looking to buy a wrangler TJ. Really excited for that!

There's this jeep that I'm quite keen but there's some rust. I only have some pics and won't be able to inspect it personally as it's in a different state.

I'm looking for advice from experienced people here reg if that rust is really bad or can be repaired?
We purchased a 98 from out of our area from pictures...California vehicle, but the frame was rusted through. Unsafe to drive it was that bad...every body mount, windshield frame. So we got to do a tub and frame swap. We did the work but still expensive. As we went through, rust was everywhere. We have literally built this thing ourselves from the ground up. I would say you need to inspect first hand so you can test the integrity of the frame and tub. Literally the only floor was the rhino liner. And with most older vehicles...deferred maintenance is usual. I would keep searching! Good luck! Janet and Tony.

Reactions: JMT
We purchased a 98 from out of our area from pictures...California vehicle, but the frame was rusted through. Unsafe to drive it was that bad...every body mount, windshield frame. So we got to do a tub and frame swap. We did the work but still expensive. As we went through, rust was everywhere. We have literally built this thing ourselves from the ground up. I would say you need to inspect first hand so you can test the integrity of the frame and tub. Literally the only floor was the rhino liner. And with most older vehicles...deferred maintenance is usual. I would keep searching! Good luck! Janet and Tony.
Good post... I think that this is a pretty good reference that people need to remember that the rush is normally going to be worse then it looks because you're going to have the rust you can see and then you're going to have all the rust you can't see which is the same place that the owner couldn't rinse the salt off good and it stayed on longer and attacked the vehicle. My contention is avoid messing with it from the start if at all possible... I'm not saying you're less of a person if you're having to deal with it I'm just saying if you can miss the game... Do that.

Unless you're getting it super cheap I would be very hesitant to buy your first TJ without seeing it in person if any rust is involved.

I don't know as much as most on here but two things stick out to my untrained eye. 1) It kind of looks like someone painted the axels already once before (paint is a little bubbly) and it's rusting over again, that would scare me, there might be an axle seal leak too. 2) Gas skid is rusty but you'll be good for a while. Mine was much worse before I replaced it.

based on the pictures, it seems as if the paint is flaking off. Indicators that someone sprayed the undercarriage to cover any rust. Look at the oil pan... The rest of the vehicle looked like that at some point in time.