Is this steering box play normal (video)

BuildBreakRepeat

Occasional Genius
Supporting Member
Morning all, I’m looking for input/advice on the condition on my steering box and to see if this is a normal amount of play. The video shows dry steering with no slop in the shaft from wheel to box, and no slop in the drag link/tie-rod. Thank you.

Reactions: N757KF
Morning all, I’m looking for input/advice on the condition on my steering box and to see if this is a normal amount of play. The video shows dry steering with no slop in the shaft from wheel to box, and no slop in the drag link/tie-rod. Thank you.

Just to clarify. Your saying everything is tight up to the steering box, but that play we see in the vid is just inside the steering box itself?

If the pitman arm is not moving when the steering shaft is (in the video) then that is to much play. I would bet that the jeep wonders somewhat and likes to follow uneven pavement.

Did you end up replacing the lower steering linkage or the box? Just got my TJ a few weeks ago and narrowed my steering play down to what you were experiencing, tight movement through the steering until the linkage meets the box and that movement not translating into the pitman arm.