Is this steering shaft joint replaceable?

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
is this joint replaceable on my upper steering shaft closest to the firewall. It is pretty wobbly when I turn the wheel.

20210108_215822.jpg

If it's anything like the lower steering shaft, the only way to get a new joint is buy a whole new shaft.

I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Fortunately I don't think they are too costly. A new lower steering shaft was $220 for a genuine Mopar unit. Not sure what the upper portion costs, but I can't imagine it's much more.

If you're 100% sure that you've got an issue... Get the whole deal...as well as the bearing and go ahead and grease the snot out of the bearing that the shaft runs in.

I've been down this road and it amazed me how much the least amount of slop in the system could affect the steering both at very low speed off-road and normal driving on the road.

Personally I would not go the route of the borgerson higher end replacement shaft... I know they make great products and their shaft could handle a dump truck... But mine had tolerance issues that made it unusable.... It simply was too small where it went through the bearing and that's the wrong place to have a tolerance issue.

Good luck Hop,
Andy

Reactions: Chris
TMR sells just the BORGy joint. seen them a few other places too but my CRS is winning right now.

gotta look for custom builder parts not, replacement parts. and i've seen a few diff shaft sizes so mind that. IDK what our shaft size might be .

If you're 100% sure that you've got an issue... Get the whole deal...as well as the bearing and go ahead and grease the snot out of the bearing that the shaft runs in.

I've been down this road and it amazed me how much the least amount of slop in the system could affect the steering both at very low speed off-road and normal driving on the road.

Personally I would not go the route of the borgerson higher end replacement shaft... I know they make great products and their shaft could handle a dump truck... But mine had tolerance issues that made it unusable.... It simply was too small where it went through the bearing and that's the wrong place to have a tolerance issue.

Good luck Hop,
Andy
Thanks Andy. Definitely got a problem. The joint I circled on the part 11 above does not rotate in a circle, when turn the wheel it rotates in a oblong rotation. I can feel it in the wheel.
When you said replace the whole thing you mean just the whole " part 11 upper shaft intermediate"??
IMG_1016.1.jpg

Thanks Andy. Definitely got a problem. The joint I circled on the part 11 does not rotate in a circle, when turn the wheel it rotates in a oblong rotation. I can feel it in the wheel.
When you said replace the whole thing you mean just the whole " part 11 upper shaft intermediate"??View attachment 216559
I'm trying to remember how it's purchased... If you go to a yard then it's whatever you can find but if you ordered I think you have to order the whole shaft with the bearing... I may be wrong but I think once you get over to the dealership or wherever you get it that's the way they're going to want to order it...There's no law that says you have to buy the whole thing if they sell them separate... If you can just do the upper shaft and you don't have any excess movement at the big bearing or anything you'll probably be fine.

I may be remembering wrong but there's a slip joint in the equation and I think you can kind of control a little bit how much that shaft moves up and down and that can also play into the elliptical part.. plus if you've got a break you're going to have elliptical rotation anyway.... Just like a drive shaft.

If it has any kind of looseness or pop then that's another story... Didn't mean to hit you with everything at once but that's kind of my overall understanding.

Reactions: Hopper
Actually to get the bearing you have to order the whole shaft that's the ticket..I think if you're ordering an upper then you'll be fine...just remember if it's an elliptical movement but not looseness that's just because you've got an angle break. That phenomenon is the same reason lifted jeeps get drive shaft vibrations

Reactions: Hopper
My 97 has lots of play in the lower Steering Shaft U Joint (below). Just got the Crown unit in (which I have seen good and bad about) and the bearing comes with it as well. The plan is to install this weekend, any insights from those who have gone before.

338AC762-C424-4742-A8F9-9810A96CD1DB.jpeg