Is this temp higher than normal?

Shelly

20160802_175333.jpg
It does not like the heat. If it's 90 degrees or above, it'll run like this. If it's running a little over 210 and i turn the engine off, if i try and crank it within a few mins it doesn't act right.

It ran hot on me once while i was sitting in a parking lot for less than 5 mins. Had the ac on. And i wasn't paying attention and got the check gauges light and looked up and it was all the way in the red. opened the radiator and it was slap full of coolant. But the reservoir was empty. Put some water in there and let it run for a few mins and hasn't done it again. But the other day it was stuttering when i tried to crank it back up after sitting for about 5 mins when it was running that hot. Scared me lol.

Reactions: Chris
Running in the red is of course not normal. Is the fan shroud intact and in place? An engine overheating at idle or low speeds often indicate the fan isn't pulling enough air through the radiator. That can be cause by several things... mud/dirt packed into the radiator cooling fins which can be flushed out with a garden hose. Or a bad fan thermostatic clutch. If the temp gauge suddenly shot into the red, you could have a bad thermostat too. If you install a new thermostat make sure 1) it has the proper 195 degree temperature rating, and 2) that it is a standard thermostat and NOT a "fail-safe" thermostat. Failsafe thermostats like to fail prematurely in the open position so the engine won't warm up properly. A very good thermostat choice would be a 195 degree Stant SuperStat which many autoparts store like NAPA and even Amazon.com carry.

And if coolant dumped out of the radiator without going into the coolant reservoir, I'd suspect either the radiator cap is bad or it wasn't screwed down all the way. If it's bad, replace it with one with the correct 18 lb. pressure rating.

Reactions: hyperdub808
If it's running rough after a drive and a short cool down then restart, it sounds like it could be a heat soak issue.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
That sounds about right. So is that normal? Any way to fix it?

The TSB recommendation is to buy an insulator from your local dealer or eBay (about $7).

image.jpeg

Then cut it and wrap injector #3 with it.

image.jpeg

However, that didn't help me. Others have recommended to also remove that piece metallic insulation, claiming that it traps heat. I would prefer to add vents in the hood to help the heat escape, but my wife hates the look. I'm pretty much stuck with it.

If it's running rough after a drive and a short cool down then restart, it sounds like it could be a heat soak issue.

I know the XJ's have that issue but did not know the TJ's did as well. My XJ had it since day one. I've done every possible fix and nothing worked. The final successful mod that did work (95% of the time) was an e-fan mod. I push a button on the dash after I turn off the jeep and the fan runs for about a minute and half. No heat soak misfire.

I recently saw a thread in a xj forum stating that wrapping the entire fuel rail from engine down will stop it. I have mine wrapped above the engine only.

Reactions: Serbonze
I just bought that exact one. And it goes on the #3 one? Should i remove the metallic looking stuff too? Across the whole thing or just right there at #3?