Is this the correct gear set for my re-gear?

Jack_Stefan

TJ Enthusiast
2002 Sport Manual
Currently have 33"s but building for 35"s
Dana 30 front With chromoly axles
Dana 44 rear stock
Will be purchasing a rear detroit e-locker as well.

Is this the correct gear set to go with?
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...kdana_30_410_513_ratio_frontrear_wkoyo_master
1632715086442.png

You'll need thick ring gears for both axles to prevent the need install new f/r carriers. However I'd request Rwkhaus to source and provide all of the Revolution Gear parts, master install kits, etc. That way they will be able to take care of any and all possible problems under their warranty.

You may pay a little more but having an all inclusive warranty that will cover all parts and labor issues that would be handled solely by Rwkhaus will give you a lot of peace of mind.

If you provided the parts you'd have to get involved in getting them replaced under warranty.

Reactions: nathanotis
You'll need thick ring gears for both axles to prevent the need install new f/r carriers. However I'd request Rwkhaus to source and provide all of the Revolution Gear parts, master install kits, etc. That way they will be able to take care of any and all possible problems under their warranty.

You may pay a little more but having an all inclusive warranty that will cover all parts and labor issues that would be handled solely by Rwkhaus will give you a lot of peace of mind.

If you provided the parts you'd have to get involved in getting them replaced under warranty.
thats a great point. I'll hold my excitement tonight and give rwkhaus a call tomorrow and put an order through with them. As i understand it everyone is having an issue with lead times.

Should i order the locker from them as well?

ty.

thats a great point. I'll hold my excitement tonight and give rwkhaus a call tomorrow and put an order through with them. As i understand it everyone is having an issue with lead times.

Should i order the locker from them as well?

ty.
I bought my gear sets and master install kits from Robert. I'd give him a call or text and get everything through him if possible.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
how do you like that? My 4.88 feel perfect with 35s and 6 speed. Even thought I could have been ok with 4.56.
My local shop says he can tell where you wheel by what you ask for. Lower gears your headed west because of the pass in Colorado. Bigger tires or lift your going south or east. I’ve got an 06 LJ auto with 5.13 and 33s for now going to 35s and it works great. I’ve been wanting lockouts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My local shop says he can tell where you wheel by what you ask for. Lower gears your headed west because of the pass in Colorado. Bigger tires or lift your going south or east. I’ve got an 06 LJ auto with 5.13 and 33s for now going to 35s and it works great. I’ve been wanting lockouts.

he's probably right to an extent. There are probably a lot of people going east that have been following western rigs on Instagram and don't really know what they need.

I built mine in Colorado, for Colorado, and selected 4.56 for 33s and an AX15, made a bad choice in gear shops, and killed the 4.56s in 2000 miles thanks to a terrible pinion depth. During that time decided I might want 35s some day so I had the next guy put 4.88 in. And theeen I decided I wanted more length in the back and got a 6 speed LJ to swap my entire build onto, and then I moved to Oklahoma where the speed limits are higher and I don't need as much gearing. It forced me into 35's earlier than I'd planned but I'm not unhappy with it.

he's probably right to an extent. There are probably a lot of people going east that have been following western rigs on Instagram and don't really know what they need.

I built mine in Colorado, for Colorado, and selected 4.56 for 33s and an AX15, made a bad choice in gear shops, and killed the 4.56s in 2000 miles thanks to a terrible pinion depth. During that time decided I might want 35s some day so I had the next guy put 4.88 in. And theeen I decided I wanted more length in the back and got a 6 speed LJ to swap my entire build onto, and then I moved to Oklahoma where the speed limits are higher and I don't need as much gearing. It forced me into 35's earlier than I'd planned but I'm not unhappy with it.
Good info. The 6 speed is a tough one top. Based on charts and research most recommend either 4.88 or 4.56s. I think that depends on the where you are located and type of wheeling to a degree.

I plan on gearing my 6speed lj in the next year or so and keep going back forth between 4.56 and 4.88. Mine is street driven, trailered to trails and east coast wheeling. 4.88 is where I'm leaning lately.

Reactions: L J
Good info. The 6 speed is a tough one top. Based on charts and research most recommend either 4.88 or 4.56s. I think that depends on the where you are located and type of wheeling to a degree.

I plan on gearing my 6speed lj in the next year or so and keep going back forth between 4.56 and 4.88. Mine is street driven, trailered to trails and east coast wheeling. 4.88 is where I'm leaning lately.
For 35's go 4.88.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Jerry, one last question. Since im only going with one locker do you suggest doing the rear or front? Living in socal i figure we do the same trails here. But I also like to travel to other states to go wheel.

Which would i benefit most from? Front or rear. In either case it will be a selectable locker. Not an Automatic.

I always recommend the first locker be in the rear if it's a Dana 44. Or still in the rear with a Dana 35 if you install a Super 35 kit.

If not install a lunchbox locker like an Aussie or a No-Slip up front in your Dana 30.

I always recommend the first locker be in the rear if it's a Dana 44. Or still in the rear with a Dana 35 if you install a Super 35 kit.

If not install a lunchbox locker like an Aussie or a No-Slip up front in your Dana 30.
Perfect, ty.

How much is an auto locker upfront (aussie)? if the price is reasonable i might just get both and be done with it. Does having an Auto locker upfront affect my driving on road? I do a lot of traveling in my TJ to the beach for example. Am i better off saving for a selectable front locker?

A front lunchbox locker is invisible when you're in 2wd on the street. At the most, most lunchbox lockers click/ratchet a bit when you're making slow turns in quiet areas like a parking lot. The No-Slip is the one that is virtually silent when in 2wd when making turns... it's about $80 than the others.

I had a No-Slip front lunchbox locker in my previous TJ and I couldn't even tell it was there until I shifted into 4Hi or 4Lo.