Is this the dreaded OPDA squeal?

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
So ok turned it over 5 am this morning to go to work and got what I think is the dreaded OPDA squeal :( It was pretty loud and I stopped it immediately, took a vid but file is too large to post here (any suggestions how to post) have started it twice for a few seconds only to record it and might try it now at 4.30 pm, its about 90 degrees
I have a crown unit ready to go that I was going to fit this weekend anyway as its a long weekend, hope I am not too late because its about $8000+US for a rebuild here.

On another note: one youtube vid said you can leave the plastic pin in the new OPDA and it would just break on starting and will not affect anything?

Is it best to use the new pin in the old OPDA then put it back in the new unit or just use a small Allen key/pin in the old unit.

Cheers

New cold start (12 hours since last start) but high outside temperature and it cranks/runs smooth as a babies butt?
Could it have been the serpentine belt or a pully? it was pretty loud in the cab though!
One of those strange from very hot day very hot night to very hot day cooler morning today (Heatwave to CND and UK)

I will change the OPDA regardless because paranoia about 05/06 OPDA runs very very deep on this forum so much so I am too scared to drive mine too far until its replaced!

How many TJ members have actually changed their OPDA because they "Had to" due to it going bad? and not just as a preventative of it going bad? I am pretty confused lol

Give it some time for peeps to wake up over here.

I personally would not leave the pin in on the new OPDA and "let it break off" upon start up. Also, no need to align the old OPDA. Just make sure you are at TDC when installing the new unit. Once in and oil pump drive slot is lined up, pull the pin, install the cap and holding tab and you're done.

I did not need to change mine. I bumped it and put mine out of time when doing my MML. So I used that as an opportunity to pull, inspect, and replace.

Edit: it's very possible it was merely belt squeal. A video would certainly help by diagnosis. Try loading the video to Youtube and then posting the link here in your thread.

Last edited:
Give it some time for peeps to wake up over here.

I personally would not leave the pin in on the OPDA and "let it break off" upon start up. Also, no need to align the old OPDA. Just make sure you are at TDC when installing the new unit. Once in and oil pump drive slot is lined up, pull the pin, install the cap and holding tab and you're done.

I did not need to change mine. I bumped it and put mine out of time when doing my MML. So I used that as an opportunity to pull, inspect, and replace.

Edit: it's very possible it was merely belt squeal. A video would certainly help by diagnosis. Try loading the video to Youtube and then posting the link here in your thread.
Sounded so much like the "Laughing monkeys " vids! I have been beyond depressed all day at work :(
I do understand the time difference, I usually post on here at 4am my time lol

• Sad
Reactions: taylormade73
I changed mine because it started making noise and it has run great ever since. Sometimes you can get lucky. The link Chris sent should get you through it without any problems. Good luck.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Is it only doing damage when it squeals? I read that the gear on the original OPDA is harder than the gear on the cam so it damages the cam more than the OPDA.
No squeal at test start up 4 am this morning.

Should I pre oil the new OPDA shaft and gear before putting it in?

Cheers

Here is a vid of the squeal I recorded yesterday morning, its really loud inside the cab. I did not run it, was Morning start up about 60 degrees

Last edited:
Sounds like laughing monkeys to me! I too saw that video where the guy suggested breaking off the pin. I don't think it would hurt, but why do it? I tried to save my pin "just in case", but I wasn't successful.

Yes, squirt some oil on the gear before reassy. I watched several vids on yootoob, NONE of them covered everything, and my own experience just 3 weeks ago was different as well. I ended up pulling the oil filter, but leaving the air pipe in place as a for-instance!

If it helps at all, here's my blow-by-blow account: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-eight.htm

Reactions: Fishtaco
Thanks guys Crown unit is in and running just have to take it for a spin.
Kudos to the member in the OPDA sticky who suggested to put it in 6th and push it to get close to TDC :)
Took me just over an hour being careful

Now what am I looking for in the old OPDA? there is no movement up down or sideways and the gear is only slightly worn.

OME OPDA 06.jpg

OME OPDA 01.jpg

OME OPDA 02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Sounds like laughing monkeys to me! I too saw that video where the guy suggested breaking off the pin. I don't think it would hurt, but why do it? I tried to save my pin "just in case", but I wasn't successful.

Yes, squirt some oil on the gear before reassy. I watched several vids on yootoob, NONE of them covered everything, and my own experience just 3 weeks ago was different as well. I ended up pulling the oil filter, but leaving the air pipe in place as a for-instance!

If it helps at all, here's my blow-by-blow account: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-eight.htm
Good idea to put the date on your new one! Also my original did not have a gasket?

Test drive all ok uphill downhill and on the flat so must have got the timing right, oil pressure is good sounds much better its a lot quieter and has heaps more power? must be a placebo effect? lol

Reactions: Weasellee