Is this the recommended replacement valve cover gasket

jgaz

TJ Enthusiast
It's cooling off, time to do some maintanence on the LJ. Is this the replacement gasket that is recommended by the crew here?

Fel-Pro VS50458R Valve Cover Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2CNMY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Do you guys use the Dorman grommets and the elbow shown at the bottom of the above page or do you go with the dealer items?

Thanks

Yes and yes. I did my valve cover gasket semi-recently and used the exact gasket that you linked to above (as well as the Dorman grommets and elbow). No issues whatsoever and it's been over 10k miles since I did it.

I guess in this case, the reviews don't lie!

I was at the dealer today and thought I'd grab the elbows and grommets to have on hand when I replace the valve cover gasket since I have a slight leak at both locations. The dealer had both the front elbow and grommet in stock. However he didn't have the rear elbow or grommet in stock and both have been discontinued!!!

I picked up the dorman rear grommet from Orileys. The don't stock and can't get the rear elbow.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Chris, when you replaced yours I assume you replaced both grommets but did you only change e front elbow?
Based on what I bought at the dealer today, it appears that only the rear elbow has an oriffice.

I have a 2006 LJ, with a 4.0l, auto trans.

I was at the dealer today and thought I'd grab the elbows and grommets to have on hand when I replace the valve cover gasket since I have a slight leak at both locations. The dealer had both the front elbow and grommet in stock. However he didn't have the rear elbow or grommet in stock and both have been discontinued!!!

I picked up the dorman rear grommet from Orileys. The don't stock and can't get the rear elbow.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Chris, when you replaced yours I assume you replaced both grommets but did you only change e front elbow?
Based on what I bought at the dealer today, it appears that only the rear elbow has an oriffice.

I have a 2006 LJ, with a 4.0l, auto trans.

I only changed the front elbow. Haven't had any issues, so I think I'm fine!