Is this TJ a good buy?

NateJack91

IMG_5331.jpeg
IMG_5326.jpeg

This one looks bad, but thats just the rock slider that can be pulled off. Frame rust fixable? Not too bad?
IMG_5329.jpeg
IMG_5322.jpeg

This is a 2000 with 150k_ 5speed manual_chili pepper edition?_ guy is asking 12,500_ some rust, none under carpet_ shifts well, however reverse makes some strange grinding/knocking noise while going slow. Any tips are appreciated!

Where is the Jeep located and how many owners and where all has it been titled? Rock sliders rust just looks to need cleaned up and repainted. How much lift and what kind of lift does it have?

Your main concern with the frame is the inside. Could be really bad even if the outside looks good. Gotta stick your fingers through the frame holes to feel if it is smooth or rusty inside or better yet get a camera probe in there. I think 12,500 is a little high considering the miles, trim, year, half doors and soft top. Of course, keep in mind the market varies widely based on location.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Check the cylinder head real well for cracks , look for creamy froth and " condensation " under the oil fill cap.
Model years 2000 , 2001 , 2002 , some 2003 had known crack prone 0331 heads.
Who knows it may have been replaced with a better head , open the oil fill cap and look in for the word TUPY.
This is the better factory 0331 head.
BTW Welcome.

Reactions: Tob
Paid 8,200 for a 2004 with quite a bit less rust than that 4 months ago, and 12,000 for a 2003 Rubicon with way less rust 3 months ago in WA state.

This is a 2000 with 150k_ 5speed manual_chili pepper edition?_ guy is asking 12,500_ some rust, none under carpet_ shifts well, however reverse makes some strange grinding/knocking noise while going slow. Any tips are appreciated!
Grinding in reverse is a problem or a Jeep Thang. My does a major clicking noise in reverse because the last owner did a half ass job on a 3.5 inch lift without putting a SYE. My luck thats all the problem was and I wrench on Jeep all the time.

That Jeep totally looks like it has a lift.
If mechanics check its out and says it has a problem then pass big time. Also as it stands and lets just say it has a good transmission I wouldn't pay more than $9k.
I paid $8k and flew out to Vegas and drove it home. Lucky nothing happened! Mine was 2002 150k sport with hard top full doors and dana30/44 with tons of mods.

Reactions: JMT
Too much, but I’m curious. Is there a Dana 44 in the rear?

My buddy picked up a Chili pepper red Jeep for about $7,600 last year. 5-speed, cheap 4” lift on 33s with 170k miles in basically perfect condition for its age.

Turned out he accidentally bought himself a Jeep that had a Dana 44 in the rear.

Last edited:
Also, the used market is much different now than it was in the past.
I turned down a 02' with 135,000 miles on it for $4500. That was last year. It had some bad paint on the hood and no AC. Good deals are few and far between around here.
p.s. I bought my Rubicon back just over a year ago (after 2 years) for $9,000 cash.
RUBI 6 25 (2).jpg

Reactions: Tray Burge