Isolator for Safety Thimble 2

Sean Allen

Recently installed my Safety Thimble from TRE. Just thought I’d let you guys know that if you’re not running their fairlead that keeps the thimble up out of the way and you’re looking for an isolator between your fairlead and thimble the one from Viking Off-road fits the TRE thimble perfectly. I found it on Quadratec.
49F46B56-D41E-4AC8-9354-39004949A9F8.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Prevents metal to metal contact that could potentially cause a burr that would damage the line. But I’m guessing you knew that already so let’s hear why you think it’s pointless

That's the wrong thimble needed to create that particular problem.

For anyone looking to create a scenario where a thimble can gouge the aluminum hawse, look at how Factor 55 does it. This is the correct way to do it wrong.

F55-00016-extra2.jpg

Notice how the isolater is still completely useless.

What does the isolater do?
Nothing, not a damn thing. The two materials, aluminum in the thimble and aluminum in the fairlead are perfectly compatible and neither damages the other. You should be tensioning the winch to suck the thimble in tight enough not to move.

For anyone looking to create a scenario where a thimble can gouge the aluminum hawse, look at how Factor 55 does it. This is the correct way to do it wrong.

This is new to me so I'm still trying to learn it.... can you elaborate? How is the Factor55 different than the TRE in context of gouging the hawse?

In my case, I am finding tension on the thimble is backing off after a few days. I wasn't sure if it could be related to new line stretching (does that happen with synthetic) or if somehow I screwed up the brake rebuild on my winch.

Last edited:
This is new to me so I'm still trying to learn it.... can you elaborate? How is the Factor55 different than the TRE in context of gouging the hawse?

In my case, I am finding tension on the thimble is backing off after a few days. I wasn't sure if it could be related to new line stretching (does that happen with synthetic) or if somehow I screwed up the brake rebuild on my winch.

The first thing to understand is that the red Factor 55 thing is really a shackle, not a thimble. The actual thimble is the rope support protruding from the red shackle.

From there, think about how the Safety Thimble is a redesign of the thimble used with the Factor 55 shackle.

Last edited:
The first thing to understand is the red Factor 55 thing is really a shackle, not a thimble. The actual thimble is the rope support protruding from the red shackle.

From there, think about how the Safety Thimble its a redesign of the thimble used with the Factor 55 shackle.

And read this post very carefully, ye who as of yet know not.

ive had the TRE thimble for 3 years now. no scratches... it doesn't move..

A thimble has the rope wrapping around it in such a way as to protect it from whatever object it is attached to. The Factor 55 is junk because it uses the stock thimble that sticks out of the bottom of their device and may come into contact with the fairlead. In reality, the Factor 55 (no one on here is a big fan of them, myself included, they make a lot of "bling" for jeeps that is quite dangerous and stupidly expensive) is nothing more than a poorly designed shackle that adds one more "link" in the winch line. When winching you want as few connections or links as possible, each one is a potential failure point, the fewer you have the easier it is to keep an eye on them for failure...... The TRE is a true thimble, in that the line is routed around the opening (the opening is large enough for a screwpin shackle if needed, or radiused enough for a soft shackle) thereby creating a protective path for the eye of the rope.

Reactions: jjvw and LJGreg