Issue with codes P0031, P0037, P0051, and P0057 after installing new PCM in 2005 TJ

Hi all, I swapped out my 2005 TJ's 42LE for a NV-3550. I've had many issues along the way, but I finally got the stupid thing functioning. Last piece of the puzzle is clearing the CEL so I can pass my inspection and have it street legal.

My mechanic found a guy who was able to make the original automatic PCM work, but it kept giving him the code P0700 that made me switch the tranny in the first place. I then bought one from Flagship One (NEVER, NEVER BUY FROM THEM. THEY HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WILL NEVER GET BACK TO YOU) and the gauges didn't work.

I finally got a manual transmission PCM from Ares Technology and the gauges work! But now, I have codes for all 4 oxygen sensors. Codes P0031, P0037, P0051, P0057. Just those 4 codes. When my mechanic puts in the the original automatic PCM, everything works, but I get code P0700. I replaced all the sensors with NTK O2 sensors, and yes, I got the 4 different ones.

What could it be? Could the PCM be faulty? Why don't the sensor codes pop up with the original automatic PCM? Idk what to do. I've overcome so much crap with the tranny swap, just to get stuck with this minor issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_20201023_170845.jpg

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Who did you get the PCM from and what year did it come from? Also, what is the transmission and engine on the vehicle the donor PCM came from?

Was it reprogrammed to your vehicle?

I'm going to tag @Wranglerfix in this since he knows a lot about PCMs and the compatibility of them.

Who did you get the PCM from and what year did it come from? Also, what is the transmission and engine on the vehicle the donor PCM came from?

Was it reprogrammed to your vehicle?

I'm going to tag @Wranglerfix in this since he knows a lot about PCMs and the compatibility of them.
PCM came from Ares Technology out in California. They have good reviews and the PCM has a warranty, so I could send back to them to get it checked out, but I don't wanna waste the time if it isn't the problem.

The PCM is from a manual 2005 TJ. I'm assuming it had came from another TJ with a NSG 6 speed. They programmed it for a 2005 manual TJ. It was programmed to my VIN. The car runs great. Its just the codes.

edit: Ares Technology link

https://arestechnologies.com/

PCM came from Ares Technology out in California. They have good reviews and the PCM has a warranty, so I could send back to them to get it checked out, but I don't wanna waste the time if it isn't the problem.

The PCM is from a manual 2005 TJ. I'm assuming it had came from another TJ with a NSG 6 speed. They programmed it for a 2005 manual TJ. It was programmed to my VIN. The car runs great. Its just the codes.

But did they program the PCM to match your VIN and everything? I would assume so, but just have to ask.

Stupid question, but I'm assuming you've cleared the codes and they still come back?

But did they program the PCM to match your VIN and everything? I would assume so, but just have to ask.

Stupid question, but I'm assuming you've cleared the codes and they still come back?
Yes. The PCM was programmed with my VIN.

I have not, but my mechanic says he can't get rid of them. I'm assuming he's tried.

Yes. The PCM was programmed with my VIN.

I have not, but my mechanic says he can't get rid of them. I'm assuming he's tried.
There are several companies claiming to repair these pcms. You have a better chance of repairing Humpty Dumpty than the 05-06 TJ pcm.

All o2 sensor codes, camshaft/crankshaft codes and stalling while driving are symptoms of a faulty manual pcm.

Reactions: Chris
There are several companies claiming to repair these pcms. You have a better chance of repairing Humpty Dumpty than the 05-06 TJ pcm.

All o2 sensor codes, camshaft/crankshaft codes and stalling while driving are symptoms of a faulty manual pcm.
Hmm, I guess I'll do an exchange and see what happens then. Thanks for the input!

Agreed with this thread, that PCM is a lemon. I have had similar codes since 2015 and Mark at Wranglerfix has the solution. I'm trying to save a couple more bucks before buying his PCM as it is pricey, but worth it.

Wasn't there a TSB out for the O2 heaters? Maybe now you'll have to try that?

Well, after getting the replacement PCM from Ares, and driving 50 miles, I have no check engine light! So far so good! My mechanic had the car hooked up to his computer before I left and the oxygen sensors were giving him readings. All is well so far! I'll let y'all know if there are further developments.

Ares is awesome to deal with by the way. Their people were knowledgeable, polite and accommodating. Made it easy to forgive the first dud.

Reactions: John Wolf
120 miles. Still no lights! However, I am starting to experience death wobble. I went down under the front axle and saw that a lot of the steering components had worn bushings. Should I just replace the bushings or all the components.

so odds are my pcm did this to my crankshaft sensor.

20210225_024230 (1).jpg