Issue with headlight buckets

I had the plastic locking piece(holds head of screw to bucket)not hold. I cut down an old brake spring for behind and put a washer on the outside. Spring loaded and adjustable.

I used an old extension spring and two screws to mount it to the ring and the base, holding the ring back to the shoulder of the screw. If nothing else, owning an older Jeep brings out my home-brew engineering skills. lol!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Resurrecting this thread once again.

Trying aim my headlights and while the adjustment screws are all intact and the torx head is fine, the screws turn without making any changes to the headlight aim.

When it is said that the adjustment screws are stripped doors this typically refer to the nylon insert that is the female threads or the metal screw pictures earlier in this thread?

The plastic is stripped. The screws will rust and the rust chews up the threads inside the plastic. Any part store will have what you need. New screws and plastic inserts.

Hadn't thought of a generic parts store. I was in the stealership this afternoon and forgot to ask about the assemblies. I'll try the local parts store tomorrow.

For the sake of closure.... the problem wasn't the adjustment screws. Problem was the $20 garbage LEDs the PO installed had zero pattern so making any kind of adjustment appeared to do nothing.

Sold those lights and bought the TruckLite knock-offs which I ended up replacing with a set of H4s.

For the sake of closure.... the problem wasn't the adjustment screws. Problem was the $20 garbage LEDs the PO installed had zero pattern so making any kind of adjustment appeared to do nothing.

Sold those lights and bought the TruckLite knock-offs which I ended up replacing with a set of H4s.
I had H4s in my TJ. Liked them so much that after it was wrecked I scavenged them for my new jeep.

Reactions: MikekiM
I had H4s in my TJ. Liked them so much that after it was wrecked I scavenged them for my new jeep.
Can't tell a lie.. I feel the TruckLite knockoffs are a real let-down. I love the bright white color but that's it. No way I would spend the coin for the real TruckLite units when I could go back to the H4s and be almost cheeky pink about them.

At some point I am going to replace the bucket assembly, just because, but for now I'm good. Actually aligned the H4s up just a wee bit last night. I'll try some different bulbs.. maybe a winter project when mods slow down.

I use the brightest Sylvania bulbs from O’Reilly’s. Almost as bright as LED but has shape for aiming.
Can you tell me more? There are so many bulbs to choose from.

I would not only like bright (100/80 is probably the highest wattage I would use given the capacity of the harness. A cooler temp is what I am really looking for.

1634913455365.jpeg

I have these with Cibie reflectors.

Last edited: