Issue with interior dome light and cluster dim

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey everyone , trying to figure out why my interior dome light and instrument cluster dimming have stopped working on the turn signal stick. the lights do automatically come on for a couple seconds after turning off the ignition but that is the only way the light will come on . I’m thinking it’s a fuse somewhere or the blinker blade has gone bad . I haven’t completely run through every fuse yet as I ran out of daylight but any idea what fuse controls these functions ?

Ensure the dimmer adjustment ring on the headlight arm for the Multi Function Switch is not in the full counter clockwise position.
IF the adjuster does not solve your problem; then the problem may be in the adjuster switch or the harness wiring the MFS snaps into.

The multi-switch is a piece of shit; a cheap interpretation of a bad design.
None of the circuits that it controls use a relay, and the small contacts, cams, springs, etc. that engage them are fragile and easily damaged. Dust alone is enough to make their function intermittent over time.

I don't believe you can replace just the arm.
The entire thing is a module/assembly that is accessible by removing the column cover.
IIRC, the cost last time I checked was about $75.

BTW, I'm not guaranteeing that a new MS will solve your dome light issues, I just happen to know that they are prone to failure and I had to bypass the fog light function on ours or buy a new one.