Issue with ticking while idling also issue with random oil consuption

M Shep

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and I am having two issues that are driving me crazy.

The first issue is that my TJ has a rather loud tick in or on the engine. It only ticks after the engine has warmed up and it only ticks while the engine is idling. The tick goes away when you press the gas. At my last oil change I used a quart of Lucas along with my normal 10W30 oil and the sound did not go away. Also shortly after I got the jeep a little over a year ago I had the timing chain replaced and I recently replaced the harmonic balancer. The sound seems to fluctuate a little with how loud it is but it is pretty much constant. I can't figure out where it is coming from and I took it to a shop to get it diagnosed and the mechanic told me that he didn't know what it was and that it could be many different things and basically said to replace the engine. He does not have much experience with the Jeep 2.5l engine though. It does seem to idle funny every once in a while. Here is a link to a video I took of the sound this morning.

The second issue is that it seems to randomly use oil. For the most part the oil level stays the same and is pretty consistent but twice now it has randomly dropped in oil level. The latest was this week. I checked the oil when I was getting gas Monday morning and the level was halfway in the safe zone. Then Tuesday afternoon I checked it again and the level was down to the add line. There is a burnt oil smell that I can smell every once in a while but it is not consistent. I checked the oil cap and it seems to be fairly clean and I also checked the radiator cap and coolant in the radiator and it was completely clean.

I am sorry if this has been addressed before but I could not find anything when I did a search. Also I apologize if these are stupid questions that have an obvious answer. I am pretty new to the Jeep world and I do not have a lot of experience with working on engines.

This video says that the sound usually goes away after the vehicle warms up if it is an exhaust leak. My sound comes only after the vehicle is warmed up. Could it still be an exhaust leak?

It still could be, yes. It could also be lifter tick (which is fairly common with TJs).

In the worst case scenario, it's rod knock. A compression test would usually be a tell tale sign of whether you have rod knock.

Stethoscope would work better to get you a location for the click, or a hose to your ear and put the hose around the exhaust manifold