Issues with GenRight or other aluminum fenders?

Don't misinterpret. They didn't give up without a fight. They pushed the grill over and the fan hit the shroud. The corner of the grill was caved in a bit. He is a member on here. I may point him here and get his version.

This is the trail, this is not the hard spot.

I get that and wasn't thinking they can't take some serious abuse because if they were just folding I would think now one would be running them. There are areas up here that I know am not going to take my Jeep becaue I want to keep it somewhat straight looking. But having flares either permeant or removable are needed up here and not just for street use. I don't mind getting some mud in my face now and then but I like/want some tires coverage.

As I said when I started this thread, I had just not heard anyone talk about the flares bending like that so wanted to ask. Will it stop me from getting a fender with a flare? Nope most likely not unless I can come up with a way to install something removable like the MC flares. And that was why I was looking at them. But because it has been shown what you loose in clearance they are out. I may have to get creative like Toximus is with his rear flares.

I guess the one thing I don't understand is why do the flush/no flare fenders survive but the flare doesn't?

A flare protrudes out significantly more than a flush fender or one with no flare does.

Yes of course it does Jerry but what makes the flare bend and not the fenders? Or do they get some damage also? You PS fenders do look like they do.

Maybe I am not getting the physics of it? Most likely.

Yes of course it does Jerry but what makes the flare bend and not the fenders? Or do they get some damage also? You PS fenders do look like they do.

I'm still not understanding what you're not understanding. A flare mounts to the outer edge of the fender, why wouldn't it receive more damage than the fender does?

What do my PS Fenders look like they do? Get damaged? Some but not much, their outer edge is flush with the body.

Isn't say the GenRight flare made out of the same material as the flush tube fender? So I am asking why does the flare fold but not the fender?

Isn't say the GenRight flare made out of the same material as the flush tube fender? So I am asking why does the flare fold but not the fender?

View attachment 83384

View attachment 83385
Look closely at those two images. One has a protruding metal flare. The other does not. The one without the metal flare has less stuff to get hung up on.

Look closely at those two images. One has a protruding metal flare. The other does not.

I know what a flare is and I know it protrudes away from the fender. But if they are both made from the same material why does one bend and not the other?

I know what a flare is and I know it protrudes away from the fender. But if they are both made from the same material why does one bend and not the other?
Both can bend. One just gets in the way before the other one does. If it isn't there to get in the way, the bending doesn't happen.

I guess the one thing I don't understand is why do the flush/no flare fenders survive but the flare doesn't?
Because the trail is wide enough for the tub and no anything else that sticks out much. That and there are many places where you have to put a tire, not want to, maybe sorta, but mandatory that you put a tire in a certain spot or you won't make it. That spot puts the body close to the rocks. Anything that sticks out much further than the body gets leaned on, mowed off, or pushed in.

Misunderstanding. The flare doesn't bend, the whole fender does. The fender gets pushed inward far enough that the flare is flush to the outside of the body. The flare is still pretty happy with itself. The fender, not so much.

Because the trail is wide enough for the tub and no anything else that sticks out much. That and there are many places where you have to put a tire, not want to, maybe sorta, but mandatory that you put a tire in a certain spot or you won't make it. That spot puts the body close to the rocks. Anything that sticks out much further than the body gets leaned on, mowed off, or pushed in.

Okay so it is like trying to squeeze thru some of the tight trails up here but a tree gives a little more than a rock does. I get it now. So now I need to either figure out how to make something I can take off as a flare or just accept if I ever make it to JV that there are a few trails I can't run.

Okay so it is like trying to squeeze thru some of the tight trails up here but a tree gives a little more than a rock does. I get it now. So now I need to either figure out how to make something I can take off as a flare or just accept if I ever make it to JV that there are a few trails I can't run.
That's alright. Wait until we get into rock rail selection, bumper selection, soft tops etc. and by the time you get done with your choices keeping you off certain trails out there, there won't be any trails you can run. Or if you do want to run them, you wind up with a rig like I've shown you that you say is nice, but not for what you do. Yep, we know that, we understand that, but it is also for JV. If you want to run JV, it should look like that as much as you can do it.

If one gets hit and the other doesn't, then of course the one that doesn't get hit isn't going to bend, but there could also be a geometric reason that wider-flared fenders bend more easily...that being: they're wider. There may well be a point - likely variable and situational - where the tube portion of a fender begins to act as a lever on the rest, or on the tub itself...and the longer that lever is, the easier it will be for it to fuck up that to which it is attached.

Or, I could be a total muppet and be way the fuck off-base with that idea.

I know not the same thing but from trying to squeeze thru a tight spot where the trees had grown leaning toward each other.

IMGP1206.jpg

IMGP1209.jpg

IMGP1210.jpg

IMGP1211.jpg

IMGP1212.jpg

If one gets hit and the other doesn't, then of course the one that doesn't get hit isn't going to bend, but there could also be a geometric reason that wider-flared fenders bend more easily...that being: they're wider. There may well be a point - likely variable and situational - where the tube portion of a fender begins to act as a lever on the rest, or on the tub itself...and the longer that lever is, the easier it will be for it to fuck up that to which it is attached.

Or, I could be a total muppet and be way the fuck off-base with that idea.
Geometry in this case is the tube is pretty stout and doesn't yield nearly as easily as the formed back panel does which is just a 90 degree bend with a 1" leg.

I know not the same thing but from trying to squeeze thru a tight spot where the trees had grown leaning toward each other.

View attachment 83393

View attachment 83394

View attachment 83395

View attachment 83396

View attachment 83397
The entrance to Highway 20 has a giant rock on the left side with straight up sides you have to go by. The other side is a canyon wall that is almost straight up but also higher than the left side. Folks don't want to drag the body on the left so they move to the right. Moving to the right makes the tire climb and lean the cage over into the rock. I tell folks to peel their soft top back on that side and flip it over until they get past and to also pull the door surround. Those that have ignored that advice get to buy a soft top and door surround. I cheat. I force it hard left, put the left side tires on the big rock and lean my rig the other way. Of course, my left side tires are sticking only on the sidewalls 3 feet off the ground but it works.

Geometry in this case is the tube is pretty stout and doesn't yield nearly as easily as the formed back panel does which is just a 90 degree bend with a 1" leg.

That being the case, I'm going to say that I'm not a muppet...at least not for the 2:00-hour.

That's alright. Wait until we get into rock rail selection, bumper selection, soft tops etc. and by the time you get done with your choices keeping you off certain trails out there, there won't be any trails you can run. Or if you do want to run them, you wind up with a rig like I've shown you that you say is nice, but not for what you do. Yep, we know that, we understand that, but it is also for JV. If you want to run JV, it should look like that as much as you can do it.

Well because I don't live near there in my mind it would be foolish to build the rig only for there. And becaue I have to have tire coverage up here I either have to make them detachable or not do some trails. But with a full bodied Jeep I knew that there are some places I can't go already.