Issues with repair shop

• Thread starter Deleted member 12552
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12552

2004 Wrangler X owned 3 months, solid truck but in a panic stop only the driver side front locked up. Took to a local shop for inspection and repair. Their diagnosis was new rear shoes were in order. Picked it up and drove to work the next morning in the rain. After about 5-6 miles total from pick up it started making a grinding noise from the passenger side. Got out in the pouring rain to make sure I wasn't about to loose a wheel, found nothing oblivious. About 5 miles more it got quiet and seemed ok, pedal feel wasn't perfect but better than before. Seems something came apart in the right wheel drum and broke the hydraulics which started a slow brake fluid leak that I didn't notice. Had a second panic stop and the pedal went to floor, nearly wrecked and I pulled the e brake for the first time since pick up to stop. Used it to get truck home also. Their over the phone diagnosis was a brake line had popped, which I hoped was the issue then it wouldn't be on them. There excuse was that I had used the e brake and a bar bent and broke stuff. When I took it back for this repair I also took new shocks and struts in the passenger seat for an install. Picked it up again no issues, about 30 miles later it started making a noise like the rear most area was full of loose hubcaps. I had locked the rear door at drop off as I left it overnight with the shocks in the seat checked it twice. I'm running 31 in tall tires on stock rime including spare. I found on inspection the rear area unlocked and the door was shut enough to not fly open but not tight against the bumpers and this caused the rear hinges to sag and now door won't close without lifting it and it makes a lot of noise which it didn't before. They are not accepting any responsibility for any of this and are now trying to intimidate me into going away. Would appreciate any and all advice on this issue as how to handle it and if they are indeed at fault.

Sounds like your brakes are now good, is that correct? The issue now is that the rear tailgates hinges may have been compromised?

If that is the case you are out of luck. If the shop will not have a conversation with you then you have no recourse. It is a he said/she said scenario, and how can you prove they broke the hinges?

I would probably give them some terrible reviews and move on. If you need new hinges you can find them on Ebay, or ask on this forum as some of us have upgraded our hinges to the MORryde version.

I found on inspection the rear area unlocked and the door was shut enough to not fly open but not tight against the bumpers and this caused the rear hinges to sag and now door won't close without lifting it and it makes a lot of noise which it didn't before.
no, on the first latch, the safety latch, would not cause the hinges to sag, but the easy fix, the hinges are adjustable.

This is a pretty common thing with Wranglers.

You are all over the place. Maybe there was some negligence but you need to focus. Are the brakes working now? I would advise to find a different shop.
I agree .

First , take your medication .

Next , change shops for sure

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl
Sorry for the disjointed post it was my second one the first was better but got deleted as it wasn't there after I thought I posted it. The brakes are fine now I think, but I was charged $52 bucks in parts I don't feel I should have been. The drum that they had inspected and replaced shoes in came apart in 5 miles from vehicle pick up. They said it had something to do with a bar that is associated with the e brake. The e brake was used only at the time of my second panic stop after the initial repair. Once the second repair was done (brakes) and the shocks the rear door was left ajar and the hinges sprung. This was closed tightly and locked by me at drop off for second repair. the shop had no reason to be in there at all but when I found it 25 miles after the second pick up it was unlocked and half open. As far as I'm concerned the second brake repair should have been free and I wouldn't have said anything at all about it until I had the hinge issue. Now it seems to me I have had two visits to this shop with very poor results. But the general consensus is I'm just screwed. Not what I was hoping to hear but that is why I ask in the first place. Thanks keep it coming please.

I seriously doubt the shop has any responsibility for your tailgate.

The hinges were fine and it was quiet until it was left ajar by the shop. The advice I have got from friends was if they wouldn't fix it take them to court. the feeling i'm getting from the jeep people is different but again knowledge is important in an issue like this and will dictate how I proceed. Look forward to more opinions.

You drove 25 miles with your tailgate open and want to pursue the ship for negligence ?

Maybe you’re actually saying something else and I’m not tracking.

Also, where did the install the struts you dropped off with the shocks ?

The tail gate was closed enough to not fly open around turns and such but not latched tightly enough to rest the spare against the rubber bumper/support so it's weight was hanging on the hinges. I had properly shut and locked the tailgate at time of drop off and they had no reason to be in there at all and I don't check it every time I drive, didn't expect it to be opened for any reason and as far as I knew it should have been closed and locked.

The shocks and struts were replaced during the second trip to the shop.

Ok, now WHY are you using a parking brake in a panic stop? and YOU should always check your doors if you leave a vehicle with some else. A 30 second walk around to look things over shows the shop you are interested in your vehicle and not just a sucker to be taken advantage of. I always either do my own work or check everything that Ihave to have someone else do. I am not one of those who like to let go. Suing someone over something so trivial will get you a lot of ridicule by some of the more crusty of the bunch. You can do what you want, and the shop should have made good on the brakes, so live and learn. Tim

Try adjusting the hinges and move on.
Admittedly, the "using the e-brake" excuse sounds pretty feeble but it would be next to impossible to prove otherwise.
As @billiebob said, post up negative reviews (just state the facts) and use a different shop. You might ask here and other forums for referrals to good shops.

The shocks and struts were replaced during the second trip to the shop.

There’s no struts to replace on a Tj. Did they charge you for installing struts ?

You can choose to sue over the tailgate if you’d like. I’d suggest paying for a quick consult first(to save money) You’ll find out without proof that they left it open and the damage wasn’t pre-existing you don’t have a leg to stand on. There’s always small claims court, same problem there though. A judge will want proof, which can’t be provided.

The second brake repair should have been on them, if the cause was as stated. Getting your money back now will be more hassle than it’s worth unless you have lots of free time.

It is pretty not possible to screw up the hardware in the rear drums by using the emergency brake feature to stop. If something were to fail, it would be the backing plate which would bend and warp requiring replacement. Part of the problem is you are one of those that spits out way too much info.

The conversation should have been- You worked on my brakes, now they suck and I almost hit someone due to your ineptitude. Fix them, call me when you are done.

Reactions: skrelnik and Daryl
There’s no struts to replace on a Tj. Did they charge you for installing struts ?

You can choose to sue over the tailgate if you’d like. I’d suggest paying for a quick consult first(to save money) You’ll find out without proof that they left it open and the damage wasn’t pre-existing you don’t have a leg to stand on. There’s always small claims court, same problem there though. A judge will want proof, which can’t be provided.

The second brake repair should have been on them, if the cause was as stated. Getting your money back now will be more hassle than it’s worth unless you have lots of free time.
Stop that please. We both know he is talking about shocks.

It is pretty not possible to screw up the hardware in the rear drums by using the emergency brake feature to stop. If something were to fail, it would be the backing plate which would bend and warp requiring replacement. Part of the problem is you are one of those that spits out way to much info.

The conversation should have been- You worked on my brakes, now they suck and I almost hit someone due to your ineptitude. Fix them, call me when you are done.
Perhaps a bit brutal...but correct.