It just happened!

I like the look of snow, but refuse to go out and drive in it. Traffic in the DC area is bad in good weather. When the weather turns bad, rain or snow, traffic is intolerable. One year it took my wife over 11 hours to make the 20 mile trip home from work!
as a lot of people found out yesterday and still today!! Hope everyone is OK!!! FIFTY exits on 95 north and south!! WOW. I did see some Teslas in the footage this am...wonder how long they can maintain heat? Will Tesla now sell portable generators? ..anyway...my road hasnt been plowed yet, but I have no need to go anywhere....ok, sorry, now back to this awesome thread!!!

https://www.insidenova.com/headline...LJMjvy0bFVrbCgUl90fjAlVriJlF6RxUzKaPGg_ryBf6Q

I apologize for the yo-yo routine, but it looks like the LJ will be staying with me for now. My daughter was in a less than desirable place, so I did what Fathers do. We met today at our local DMV and I gave her my CR-V commuter car. Since I now need a daily driver, I registered the LJ and it has assumed duty as my commuter. My wife and I went out today and drove it around town for the first time since buying it. I filled it up at the gas station, also for the first time, and it took 15.9 gallons!

20220108_154615.jpg

My daughter was in a less than desirable place, so I did what Fathers do.
My youngest daughter (she's a good kid) is struggling with the world right now, so this father added a cat (I've never owned one before) and two guinea pigs (all requested by my daughter).

The cat is actually a pretty fun pet. The dog (she's always cold) has someone to keep her warm. They both want to eat the guinea pigs.

Josey and Hazel.jpg

I apologize for the yo-yo routine, but it looks like the LJ will be staying with me for now. My daughter was in a less than desirable place, so I did what Fathers do. We met today at our local DMV and I gave her my CR-V commuter car. Since I now need a daily driver, I registered the LJ and it has assumed duty as my commuter. My wife and I went out today and drove it around town for the first time since buying it. I filled it up at the gas station, also for the first time, and it took 15.9 gallons!

View attachment 301363
I hope all is well with your daughter, more important than any vehicle. But that said, given the time and effort you are putting in to this LJ I for one am glad you will get to drive it for a bit.

After spending a couple days cleaning out the frame. The inside is now coated with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. Although I have Fluid Film (FF), I decided to try internal frame coating first. The decision to use Eastwood was partly aided by the fact that a buddy gave me eight cans of the Internal Frame Coating that he bought for his Jeep, but then sold the Jeep before he used it. Also, you can use the Eastwood coating on a frame before FF, but not after. That being the case, I decided to give Eastwood a try first and will monitor it's effectiveness. I started out with two can per side, which was more than enough to soak it internally. I'll go back over it again, with an additional can or two per side, when the weather turns warm again.

To prepare the frame I did the following:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQYX2FH/?tag=wranglerorg-20This was used to knock any chunks loose internally. I cut the end down a little to allow enough room to add three small links of chain to the end, then used a washer and red locktite on a nut to secure it. You have to run this in a clockwise only mode, so be careful there. Anytime an extension was added, I used a small piece of duct tape to secure it, just in case it came loose.
Hint: It works better to clean out the frame if you support the transmission and transfer case, then remove the skid/s. This way the chain doesn't get caught on the bolts as you push it through.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ2CZTM/?tag=wranglerorg-20https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MQFPYT/?tag=wranglerorg-20When the chunks on both sides were knocked loose, the tedious task of removing them began. To make this easier, a combination of 22" and 48" flexible magnets was used. Without these the job would have been even more unpleasant than it was.

Once all the big chunks were out, I used an old heater core hose attached to a shop vacuum to get out any of the small stuff.
Hint: insert the heater hose in either large frame hole (front or rear), turn on the vacuum, then use compressed air to blow the particles to the running vacuum suction.

With everything vacuumed out, I gave each frame side one more good blast with compressed air, to blow any remaining particles towards the front and rear.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.htmlWith the frame cleaned out, the frame was taped in sections and sprayed with the frame coating. When doing the spraying there were a few tricks to help:
1. The supplied spray hose is coiled up when you get it. I used a heat gun to relax the hose and make it straight. This ensures you get a good even spray coating internally.
2. Make sure the frame is supported with 6 ton jack stands and the tires are removed for easy spray access.
3. Cover the floor with lots of paper, especially on the front and rear ends of the frame. This stuff will pour out of the bottom of the frame and make a mess if you don't!
4. Once you put everything back together, move the vehicle outside to let it dry. This stuff stinks up the garage and will out gas for 24 -48 hours.

When it was all done, I probably spent more than 12 - 15 hours on the job. The bulk of the time was consumed on cleaning debris out of the frame. The better job you do there, the more likely the job will be successful at fighting future rust!

20220109_174623.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic write up and links, brilliant and thanks for sharing. One dumb question, why do they have to be 6t jack stands?
The the
Fantastic write up and links, brilliant and thanks for sharing. One dumb question, why do they have to be 6t jack stands?

The typical 3 ton stands only have a working range from 11 to 17", which is really to short for working on a TJ. Yes, you can use them, but the larger stands, like the one linked below, have additional valuable features.

These 6 ton stands have a working range of 16 -23", a larger more stable footprint, and an additional safety lock feature that ensures the jack won't collapse.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074R17GL4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I think you made a good choice. The crv will last your daughter for years, and i know you really didn’t want to get rid of this.
Indeed. I've had that CRV for more than a decade and it has been as reliable a vehicle as there is. Never a problem. I just did plugs, brakes, tires, oil and transmission fluids, along with all the filters. Plus, there's no timing belt to worry about. She should be good to go for a long time, as long as she takes care of it, which I'll end up doing anyway! ;)

She should be good to go for a long time, as long as she takes care of it, which I'll end up doing anyway! ;)
I know how that goes. They just grab keys, walk out the door and drive. Never check air pressure, keep up with oil chang intervals or other service related intervals. Cars are just supposed to work. Then one day they don’t and she throws her hands in the air and says, “I don’t know what’s wrong with it. I didn’t do anything [that is the problem]. Fix it!” 🤣

Last edited:
I know how that goes. They just grab keys, walk out the door and drive. Never check air pressure, keep up with oil chang intervals or other service related intervals. Cars are just supposed to work. Then one day they don’t and she throws her hands in the air and says, “I don’t know what’s wrong with it. I didn’t do anything (that is the problem). Fix it!” 🤣
It usually goes like this for me:

Ring, ring:

Dad -What's wrong now?
Daughter - The car's not working!
Dad -What happened?
Daughter - It was making a funny noise and just died!
Dad - How long was it making the noise?
Daughter - Just for the last few months.
Dad - :mad:

It usually goes like this for me:

Ring, ring:

Dad -What's wrong now?
Daughter - The car's not working!
Dad -What happened?
Daughter - It was making a funny noise and just died!
Dad - How long was it making the noise?
Daughter - Just for the last few months.
Dad - :mad:
The funniest part is how you answered the phone, “What’s wrong now?”

• Sad
Reactions: Irun