It's 105 degrees outside. Can my cooling system handle it?

It is quite annoying though that there are actually people out there who think that Jeep (or any auto manufacturer) would have designed a vehicle and forgot about the areas of the country where it gets much hotter.

It's 115 regularly here in Arizona and my Jeep is just fine, even with the A/C on at long stop lights.

You'd have to be a pretty stupid automotive engineer if you designed a vehicle thinking it would never see these sort of temperatures.

Of course there will always be someone who needs to "upgrade" their cooling system :rolleyes:

It is quite annoying though that there are actually people out there who think that Jeep (or any auto manufacturer) would have designed a vehicle and forgot about the areas of the country where it gets much hotter.

It's 115 regularly here in Arizona and my Jeep is just fine, even with the A/C on at long stop lights.

You'd have to be a pretty stupid automotive engineer if you designed a vehicle thinking it would never see these sort of temperatures.

Of course there will always be someone who needs to "upgrade" their cooling system :rolleyes:

I posted this for those reasons. Everyone talks about the "plastic radiator" and the need to upgrade it or the need to replace the thermostat with something cooler. We'll be over 110* by the weekend and my Jeep will run at the sane temps as it did today. I don't even worry about it.

Reactions: billiebob
I posted this for those reasons. Everyone talks about the "plastic radiator" and the need to upgrade it or the need to replace the thermostat with something cooler. We'll be over 110* by the weekend and my Jeep will run at the sane temps as it did today. I don't even worry about it.

Someone is always trying to out-engineer the engineers, as if they had no idea what they were doing when they designed it. Of course this isn't exclusive to Jeeps. On every automotive forum I've ever been on, there is always some genius trying to "upgrade" the cooling system.

In certain cases I get it. The high HP LS crowd (which I was once a part of) actually needs to address the cooling system as they get into very high horsepower numbers. But for a TJ, we aren't pushing any big levels of power, so it's essentially trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

There's a lot of us here in Arizona and southern California where the summers are brutal. You and I both know it's nothing to worry about. People should be more concerned as to whether their factory cooling system has been properly maintained.

I've always wondered how well they do in actual cold weather, like -50°F. Supposedly a lot of car handles just sort of snap off below about -40°... I'm sure the soft top windows wouldn't be too happy

Thats my line about winter.
We hit 65 below a few times and no new cars will start unless they are plugged in.

You need a carburetor to start when it gets that cold. I bought my '87 YJ specifically to get a carb.

Reactions: TJRick and Chris
My Jeep has been in -40 during the polar vortex in Chicago as well as once in Wyoming. Didn't bother starting it either time. Soft top held up fine, but I didn't touch that either. I'm sure I could have punched a hole through it.

I'm sure my cooling system would be pissed with AC in 105F. Always gotten a little warm with the AC while on the highway and I've just come to live with it. New Mopar radiator, thermostat, hoses, and water pump. Jealous of cooling systems that can stay under 210 all the time like mine does driving around town.

I've always wondered how well they do in actual cold weather, like -50°F. Supposedly a lot of car handles just sort of snap off below about -40°... I'm sure the soft top windows wouldn't be too happy
When I was stationed at Eglin AFB I got to go into the McKinley Climate Lab ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinley_Climatic_Laboratory )to see some Ford & Nissan tests. The lab is this enormous hangar that can fit a 747 or C-5 and induce temperatures from -40 to 120F, and they can also replicate rain, snow, sand storms, humidity, etc. Nissan & Ford rented it once a year to do cold weather testing. They’d park their models in the hangar, cold soak them overnight, then go out the next morning to see what didn’t work and drive them around a little course in the hangar. It was pretty neat.

Hm, and my Jeep likes to run 215-220 when I sit for too long at a light in 85 degree weather. That’s without the AC on. Couldn’t imagine it out west lol

So guys, let me pose this question:

What is the best performance aluminum radiator? 🤣🤣🤣

In January I purchased the '01 TJ 4.0L and chemically flushed the system shortly after purchasing the Jeep which showed a marked drop in operating temperature. Recently I noticed the temperature would swing from about 200-215* and several days ago I found a few ounces of coolant beneath the radiator. When the cooling system was pressure checked; the lower tank seal was leaking.
I replaced the radiator with a factory plastic tank radiator along with the thermostat instead of the Chinese knock offs. YES.... it cost me more than a Chinese radiator, but it gives me piece of mind that my cooling system should be good for some time.
Today I drove up Nate Harrison Grade (the back side of Palomar Mountain) to test the system; the system stayed cool the entire drive up.... and back down....