It's friggin cold

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
22 degrees F when I got up this morning. It snowed yesterday. WTF it's tough to remember why I left Florida on mornings like this

Reactions: Chris
17° here with a fresh 6" of snow.
20191028_072917.jpg

17° here with a fresh 6" of snow.
View attachment 122087

here's a question, what do they use to treat the roads (if anything) out there that's different such that you're not getting the frame issues we get here in the rust belt? It was 75 & beautiful yesterday, we don't seem to get a fraction of the snow you guys get & our snow season seems to be a lot shorter too yet the frames are dying here???

here's a question, what do they use to treat the roads (if anything) out there that's different such that you're not getting the frame issues we get here in the rust belt? It was 75 & beautiful yesterday, we don't seem to get a fraction of the snow you guys get & our snow season seems to be a lot shorter too yet the frames are dying here???

We use more sand and gravel than what I saw growing up in Minnesota. This snow will also disappear on it's own in a few days, so there is less reason to force it to go away. While the yards are covered in snow, Denver city streets have already melted and stayed pretty clear. Colorado does use magnesium chloride, which seems to be less corrosive than other road salts.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
@jjvw beat me to it.

The mag chloride mix will still cause damage if not washed off, though it is not near as corrosive as what the east uses. Growing up in Wyoming, all they used on the Hwys were sand and gravel, nothing else.

Reactions: Chris

I've wondered the same thing. I bought this TJ last year, it's history shows that it was owned & operated in UT and ID for it's whole life. I have a little rust on the frame, but nothing like the disasters that I've seen from your neck of the woods. Cars & trucks stay in pretty good shape out here. Maybe it has to do with the relatively low humidity out here? We are in the high desert so even in the winter when we get snow it generally isn't the slushy garbage that I remember from my time being out east.

From UDOT's website:

What is UDOT putting on the roads?

In addition to plowing, UDOT employs other tactics to keep roadways clear and safe. Approximately 1.8 million gallons of salt brine are used each year to pre-treat for ice on state roads. During storms, UDOT uses 236,000 tons of salt including regular white salt and three types of high-performance salt. In addition, 24,000 tons of de-slicking grit and volcanic cinders are used throughout Utah, excluding Weber, Davis and Salt Lake counties. In some locations with higher ice concerns, UDOT uses spray systems on the road or bridge to apply potassium acetate to prevent ice.

Pennsylvania must own stock in salt mines or something because they put that crap down before, during and after even a flake falls out of the sky :oops:, bastards, grounds my jeep sometimes weeks at a time in January & February while I'm waiting for a rain storm to wash that crap away.

But I try and look at the positive side of it, it does make it more exciting when I do get back out on the road following a long bout of saltification episodes

@jjvw beat me to it.

The mag chloride mix will still cause damage if not washed off, though it is not near as corrosive as what the east uses. Growing up in Wyoming, all they used on the Hwys were sand and gravel, nothing else.

Every so often I hear we might switch to the corrosive stuff the Midwest uses. I think we can blame the population explosion and the transplants from Texas and California who can't drive in adverse weather conditions. We have too many people with more chances of crashing into them.

Reactions: tworley
Colorado does use magnesium chloride, which seems to be less corrosive than other road salts.

In my limited research, it actually seems to be the opposite. The MgCl is being found to be more corrosive in some studies. I've wondered about this and looked into this before because ODOT here uses the liquid form de-icers that contain MgCl when it gets very cold. On the local news here, they often report which bridges they are spaying that night when it starts to get cold. I avoid them at all costs on my way to work (I'll also not be driving my TJ at all this Winter).

https://www.codot.gov/programs/research/pdfs/2000/truckcomponents.pdf"While CDOT specifications state that magnesium chloride must be 70% less corrosive than sodium chloride, experimental results obtained by SAE J2334 indicated that MgCl2 is more corrosive than NaCl to the bare metals tested. "

https://www.prestigeimports.net/avoid-problems-magnesium-chloride-deicer/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9294e6-b949-11e4-aa05-1ce812b3fdd2_story.html

One more link that is interesting:
https://trid.trb.org/view/642605"Therefore, depending on service conditions experienced by automobile components, MgCl2 is more corrosive than NaCl under humid environments, and NaCl is more corrosive under immersion and arid environments. This conclusion was obtained based on the experiments with the deicing salts used in the state of Colorado. "

Reactions: jjvw and InOmaha
I haven't noticed the kind of rust seen here on my other cars. Maybe they use something different or more sparingly.

I power spray the nooks and crannies of all the cars each spring and several times a year. I may use a car wash with undercarriage spray this year, but I have a faucet in my garage and can wash cars easily if it gets above freezing. I'm sure that I'm more thorough than a gas station brushless system.

Oh and 28 will feel like 60 when spring rolls around. A couple weeks where it hurts your lungs to breath or your nose hairs freeze puts things in perspective.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JMT
I run the TJ through a touchless carwash every couple of weeks that has a undercarriage wash... I also ordered a few cans of that NH oil stuff to coat the undercarriage with... Thats still on the list to do before winter really hits

We use more sand and gravel than what I saw growing up in Minnesota. This snow will also disappear on it's own in a few days, so there is less reason to force it to go away. While the yards are covered in snow, Denver city streets have already melted and stayed pretty clear. Colorado does use magnesium chloride, which seems to be less corrosive than other road salts.
I really wish we would do more of that here. I always hear talk of how harmful the salt is to the lakes because of how much they use, but that doesn't seem to stop them from doing a green lake of salt in front of my house every year.

I don't ever aim to sell my TJ, so I'm always worrying about rust. =(

the whole front end of my wrangler that spent its entire life around the denver area minus the few months its been here in MI is covered in small pits and chips in the paint on the front end from the sand and stone but otherwise rust free compared to what happens here on michigan cars, exterior paint usually looks excellent until you crawl underneath and see all the swelling rust on everything.

Reactions: InOmaha
They start with sand here, but by the end of the season they're scrapping the river rock off the bottom of the barrel. So the rocks get bigger and you will have a chip or two in your window. I think Safelite auto glass funds the city's gravel rock budget each year.

My wife had one come off a truck that was big enough to almost get through the windshield. It left a egg sized broken area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Web98
In Wyoming, I was told it is simply too cold for salt to do anything. Makes sense since salt simply lowers the freezing point of water. If you are below that freezing point, salt versus no salt doesn’t matter.

It’s hovering around 35 here in Chicago. Going to have to put my doors and roof on this weekend. Getting the soft top zipped up in that cold is not going to be fun.

It's snowing out now, but not enough to bother much of anything except traffic. It amazes me how people forget to drive in it year to year. It's not even accumulating on the roads. People must watch the snow fall as they drive and ram into each other. Maybe they're taking photos to post on line?

Here in Western Washington they usually use sand from what I've seen. Even when it snows, we rarely get super cold temps at the same time.