It's time to shop for tires

alittleoff

TJ Addict
Yesterday, I picked up a new set (5) of Allied Rock 8, 17x8 5x5.5 3.5 BS.
My current set of 10 yr. old MT/R's on 15x8 Rock 8's are pretty scratched up and the side walls are pretty well tore up too. When I mount the new tires myself, I will take note of the orientation of the valve stem to a certain point of reference on the tire. So when I get them balanced, I'll be good to go. If not I'll let the air out, remove the ring and break the inside bead. Then rotate the tire 180*, reassemble and rebalance. hopefully with good results.
So with that, on to tire choice. Besides the popular BFG MT, Goodyear MT/R, Toyo, Falken, Mickey T, Copper and so on. I'm open to opinions, good and bad about these tires. The Maxxis MT Razr, Pitbull Rocker and the Super Swamper SST. All in the radial flavor.

Thanks
Steve

And if my choice of tire doesn't balance out with some effort, I'll give the balance beads a try.

I have always had good luck with the BFG MT/R's they are KM2's now, but I don't know anything about them now. I have had nothing but bad luck with the AT's/KO's (I know you didn't ask, but thought it was worth mentioning.) Currently I am running the Goodyear Duratracs with no issues although I had a tough time multiple times getting them balanced at Discount Tire, but 4wheel parts nailed it the first try fwiw.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Goodyear MT/R, but with that I think my next set of tires is going to be the Toyo MT. I don't have anything against the GY MT's, but I think the Toyo MT's look better in my opinion.

Also just to let you know Mickey T is now owned by Cooper.

Reactions: alittleoff
I wheel with guys that run with the BFG's and GY's. So I know how they do. I haven't any bad luck with the BFG AT's, but those have been in the smaller stock size for my 4-Runner and former Tacoma. Today I went to America's Tire and a smaller local shop. The local shop can get the Maxxis tire I want, but only 4 of them a week out and the fifth ...? America's tire has a sale on the GY's and the BFG's are easy to get. When I asked about the Pitbulls & Maxxis, they're going to call the mfg. next week, and let me know a price on them. So my search continues.
Thanks for the response ac_.

Steve
Oh and I did get a set of Dura Tracks, 33-11.50/ 15 a few tears ago, but only ran them for a couple of months, then I went to the 35" MT/R's.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Maxxis, I like the Duratracs so far. For me they aggressive enough for what i need and they are quiet on the road. I like them a lot. I did find an allen wrench in the sidewall of my brand new tire, so it makes me nervous about them, but so far thy have been fine other than that, so I am going to write it off as a freak thing.

Keep us posted on what you decide on and post some pictures.

Heck, I've wheeled my wife's LR3 (w/ Coilovers) with M+S tires...
download.jpg

I only run A/Ts these days, but back when I used to have my M/Ts, I really, really loved the Cooper Discoverer STTs. Those things looked good and performed exceptionally well with everything I threw at them!

So I've been gathering more info and talking to a few more people about the Maxxis tires. I knew the Maxxis were a load range E, so it probably wouldn't flex as much as I would like when aired down and they're on a pretty big back order. And the Pitbulls seam to be hard to track down too. I'm gonna kick back a bit and wait for more info and pricing on the new BFG MT KM3.

Reactions: ac_
I’ve run GR Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar and the Cooper STT Pro. I prefer the Cooper. I don’t know what kind of terrain you run, but these are great for rock crawling, mud and sand. They also handle pretty well on road, including in the rain, which is where my GY’s sucked. I like that the have Armor Trek in the sidewall. Balanced well.

Reactions: FTI76
So I've been gathering more info and talking to a few more people about the Maxxis tires. I knew the Maxxis were a load range E, so it probably wouldn't flex as much as I would like when aired down and they're on a pretty big back order. And the Pitbulls seam to be hard to track down too. I'm gonna kick back a bit and wait for more info and pricing on the new BFG MT KM3.

What have you heard about the Toyo's? I am considering them myself. I don't know anything about them other than they look cool ha.

I’ve run GR Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar and the Cooper STT Pro. I prefer the Cooper. I don’t know what kind of terrain you run, but these are great for rock crawling, mud and sand. They also handle pretty well on road, including in the rain, which is where my GY’s sucked. I like that the have Armor Trek in the sidewall. Balanced well.
The terrain I usually run in is mostly the mtns. and deserts here in So. Cal. Round and jagged creek bed rocks, so a lot of sidewall scuffing. The occasional sticks and branches that get jammed into my sidewalls too. The rare snow run and of course the bump stops at the mall.

What have you heard about the Toyo's? I am considering them myself. I don't know anything about them other than they look cool ha.
On our Adopt-A-Trail runs, I see a lot of the JKU's have the Open Country M/T and they seam to do well. They have a load range D, but it doesn't look like they air down past 20 psi. Older YJ's and TJ's use (for the most part) BFG & GY and are down to 10-12 psi. Some run A/T's, but have a long drive to and from the trail.

Reactions: ac_
The terrain I usually run in is mostly the mtns. and deserts here in So. Cal. Round and jagged creek bed rocks, so a lot of sidewall scuffing. The occasional sticks and branches that get jammed into my sidewalls too. The rare snow run and of course the bump stops at the mall.
Because of the terrain you run and the sidewall issues, I’d stick to choices that involved a reinforced sidewall. Load D or E would help there, but those aren’t desirable for a TJ. So anything with Kevlar or some other reinforcement. I do love my Coopers. My .02c

Yeah, I hear you. Durable sidewalls plus low psi flex is a fine line. I'm gonna take another look at those Coopers. Are your sidewalls holding up good?

Yeah, I hear you. Durable sidewalls plus low psi flex is a fine line. I'm gonna take another look at those Coopers. Are your sidewalls holding up good?
They’re holding up well and they always come home with evidence they’ve contacted rocks, limbs, etc...

Armor Tek adds a 3rd ply that runs at a different angle to reduce area where punctures could occur. See diagram lower part of this page:
https://www.coopertires.com.au/coop...opers-proven-armor-tek3-carcass-construction/

I also run the Cooper STT Pro. Great tire. My local Jeep shop was a GY MTR proponent, but after seeing how well they perform on the trails he’s changed his tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well I pulled the trigger on a set of STT Pro's in the 37-17 flavor. Now I gotta install my drain valves on my Allied's.

Been searching for load range C tires in the 265/75-16 size. All I have come up with (that I would consider buying) are:
copvl9.ang.l.jpg

8811610570782?yocs=_&yoloc=us.png

copvl9.ang.s.jpg

CooperDiscoverer AT3
BETTER
LT265 /75 R16 112R C1 OWL
ITEM: 27032
55,000 mile warranty

gdyvl6.ang.l.jpg

8811612602398?yocs=_&yoloc=us.png

upload_2018-5-29_22-33-33.gif
GoodyearWrangler Duratrac
BEST
LT265 /75 R16 112Q C1 OWL
ITEM: 31921

pirvm1.ang.l.jpg

8811614830622?yocs=_&yoloc=us.png

upload_2018-5-29_22-34-17.gif
PirelliScorpion MT/R with Kevlar
BETTER
LT265 /75 R16 112Q C1 RBL
ITEM: 27097

genvm1.ang.l.jpg

8811611750430?yocs=_&yoloc=us.png

upload_2018-5-29_22-34-56.gif
GeneralGrabber X3
BETTER
LT265 /75 R16 112Q C1 RED
ITEM: 31876

Yesterday, I picked up a new set (5) of Allied Rock 8, 17x8 5x5.5 3.5 BS.
My current set of 10 yr. old MT/R's on 15x8 Rock 8's are pretty scratched up and the side walls are pretty well tore up too. When I mount the new tires myself, I will take note of the orientation of the valve stem to a certain point of reference on the tire. So when I get them balanced, I'll be good to go. If not I'll let the air out, remove the ring and break the inside bead. Then rotate the tire 180*, reassemble and rebalance. hopefully with good results.
So with that, on to tire choice. Besides the popular BFG MT, Goodyear MT/R, Toyo, Falken, Mickey T, Copper and so on. I'm open to opinions, good and bad about these tires. The Maxxis MT Razr, Pitbull Rocker and the Super Swamper SST. All in the radial flavor.

Thanks
Steve

And if my choice of tire doesn't balance out with some effort, I'll give the balance beads a try.
All those tires, cannot fault the brand names. The cheap ones, two things, they likely mile out sooner, but that just means you get to change up sooner. Cost/mile is likely similar. I bought BFGs 33x950R15s in 2001.... sold my YJ with them in 2011. And kept 1 as a spare.... still use it today. Most depressing thing, after 10 years they were not miled out even tho I wanted to try something new..... Worse than a first wife.

Understand, any all terrain will out mile any mud terrain. I've done it. Bought the MTs cuz they look cool, bought the ATs and seen a 25% increase in life. And never experienced a measurable loss of performance. MTs, if you live in that extreme world, thumbs up. But if yer Wrangler sees more pavement that gumbo.... go the AT route.

Last edited: