I've always had a thing for actual yellow fog lights

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hella 55 watt yellow fog lights from E-bay. We'll see how well they hold up. Paint on the housings didn't seem that great. I scuffed them up and sprayed a few light coats of Rustoleum Textured paint. Spliced into factory wiring.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=113238181299

hella 1.JPG

hella 2.JPG

hella 3.JPG

hella 4.JPG

hella 5.JPG

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks.
Yeah. That’s the only place I could find those particular ones. It took a while for them to get here too. LOL

Reactions: Squatch
Kind of gives it that old school European sport car look.

At first I kind of thought the stock foglights looked a bit ridiculously big, but they've kind of grown me now to where I'd decided I'll keep them. I am thinking about led replacement bulbs for the H3s in there now though.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Back in the 1980s when I started driving, the coolest guys always had the yellow fog lights, they were rectangular and they were always on. Unfortunately I didn't have the extra cash to get them on my parent's car, not that they would have let me anyway.

Yup, I had yellow fog lights on my Chevy van back in the late 70's early 80's...

chevy-van.jpg

I looked at amber fog lights but decided to experiment with Optilux HELLA H71070662 XY Series H3 Xenon Yellow halogen bulbs in the factory fog lights instead. $16.14/pair on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E2WMVW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

81T22hdIfAL._SL1500_.jpg

With the yellow bulbs the fog light lenses look completely stock when turned off, i.e. white, with about the same yellow light when turned on as in the photos above - close to true cadmium selective yellow but not quite. I realize that lighting expert Daniel Stern doesn't like any of the yellow H3 bulbs currently on the market, but he is a purist and I don't need to be. The Optilux bulbs do the job.

I like the look of amber lenses on fog lights so I may convert in the future, but for now I am declaring my low budget alternative a success

While I am thinking of it, while researching available amber fog lights for my jeep I ran across a link where someone had used PAR-46 35w amber sealed beam bulbs in the jeep factory housings to convert them to amber driving lights. Apparently all that needs to be done is to shave down a plastic tab in the housing so they will fit. I can't find the link now, but here are the bulbs:

s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/p/Two-Philips-...-Bulb-4412ac1-for-4412a-Par-46-OM/18004238341

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
One of the bulbs that came with these had the filament broken. They are sending me a new one, but again, coming from India...

I happen to have a set of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHIGMLO/?tag=wranglerorg-20) laying around, so I put them it.

I will say I was a little disappointed in the quality of the paint. It seemed like it was thinly applied on the housing. I scuffed them up and sprayed a few coats of Rustoleum Textured paint. The rubber grommet where the wires come out was huge. No kind of seal at all. I had a couple rubber plug grommets that fit so I put them in and poked a hole for the wires to go through, then sealed them up with some black RTV.

I had some yellow Hella H3 bulbs in the KC that were on it, and they worked pretty good. I like seeing the yellow lenses though. I don't know why other than it reminds me of growing up in the 70'/80's and I think yellow does cut through the fog better than white.

A better shot in the daytime.

hella 6.JPG

Last edited:
While I am thinking of it, while researching available amber fog lights for my jeep I ran across a link where someone had used PAR-46 35w amber sealed beam bulbs in the jeep factory housings to convert them to amber driving lights. Apparently all that needs to be done is to shave down a plastic tab in the housing so they will fit. I can't find the link now, but here are the bulbs:

View attachment 66646

https://www.ebay.com/p/Two-Philips-...-Bulb-4412ac1-for-4412a-Par-46-OM/18004238341

That's a neat idea. In the factory fog light housings?

That's interesting.

I thought the KC's that came on mine when I bought it were factory. I didn't realize until a few weeks ago when I seen the wiring for them were spliced into the factory wiring. LOL

They're not meant for fog if they're not yellow/amber. That color cuts through the fog far better than white lights do. They look good on your TJ!
That's what I used to think, until I started seeing clear lensed lights on new cars listed as "fog lights". I was adamant that a fog light was amber/yellow. Even argued the point. However, I've since found that not to be the case. I've also found that aftermarket suppliers list "white" fog lights.

Pulled this up:
Yellow vs. White Fog Lights: Make a Better Decision for Brighter Light

That's what I used to think, until I started seeing clear lensed lights on new cars listed as "fog lights". I was adamant that a fog light was amber/yellow. Even argued the point. However, I've since found that not to be the case. I've also found that aftermarket suppliers list "white" fog lights.

Pulled this up:
Yellow vs. White Fog Lights: Make a Better Decision for Brighter Light
If you read that closely, you'd not see where they recommended white for fog. In fact they said white can tire the eyes more readily. I read the physics of why yellow/amber lights are preferred in fog years ago and it made sense but I'm not going to bother searching for it or something similar again. To me, I learned yellow/amber works better in fog and I'm satisfied with the physics of why it does.

I wasn't arguing which was better, Jerry. I was only pointing out that there are white/clear lensed lights that are "meant for fog", as well. Again, I always thought the amber ones were the only ones considered fog lights, until I bought a Subaru Outback wagon with the "standard optional equipment clear fog lights". That's when I started looking into it. As for me, I would run the amber ones on my vehicle. I just like the look.

Reactions: Vasq