Jack of All Trades, Master of None: LJ Build

Finally got around to installing the Genright Boulder fenders. With work and school I had to do these on 2 separate days.

1701114816690.png

It was still dirty from KOE, don't worry I gave it a pressure wash that evening.

Look at all that open space! Last car I wrenched on that had this much space was a '69 Ford Galaxie.

1701114946310.png

Since I got these from @TJustin (who btw did a great job shipping these out promptly and nicely packaged) with his OEM inner fenders, I was able to resell my stock fenders and be into the GRs for just a couple hundred. His stock inners were from an earlier TJ, so the silver was a darker shade than mine (hardly noticeable), and I had to redrill a couple holes on the driver side, but such is the Jeep life.

And the final result:

1701115104764.png

(sidenote: I think TJ grills really look neat without a winch)

I think it turned out very nicely. When installing these, it really becomes apparent how the stock fenders take advantage of the space available. There is little functional gain to be had with any aftermarket non-highline fender. I probably gained 0.5" at the back wall, and a tad bit at the top by losing the flare. Weight savings of a couple pounds by going aluminum was nice too.

The main reason I got these was to have this:

1701115609612.png

Other than the sliders, it's one continuous body line, with nothing sticking out that can be ripped off. Lookswise, I'd probably prefer a 3-4" flare front and rear, but running flareless gives me that peace of mind.

An odd thing I've noticed is that I'm getting all sorts of rubbing in the front, even just around town.

Sway bar and spring mount pictured, but also on my lower control arms.

1701116142187.png

It's strange because I'm not running anything too crazy, just a 8" wheel w/3.75" backspacing on a 35x12.5 tire. Pretty common setup.

I value my turning radius, so I don't want to limit the steering stops. I'll look into putting a small wheel spacer, around 0.25" or so. The factory TJ lugs are really short though, much shorter than on the newer jeeps.

Reactions: JMT
An odd thing I've noticed is that I'm getting all sorts of rubbing in the front, even just around town.

View attachment 477617

It's strange because I'm not running anything too crazy, just a 8" wheel w/3.75" backspacing on a 35x12.5 tire. Pretty common setup.

I value my turning radius, so I don't want to limit the steering stops. I'll look into putting a small wheel spacer, around 0.25" or so. The factory TJ lugs are really short though, much shorter than on the newer jeeps.

The swayloc I get...I have some rubbing on mine, specifically on the passenger side though. The spring perch though...do we both run the Rancho RS55255s? I don't remember how much room I had but I didn't have contact when I cycled my suspension. And I only have 4" backspacing.

The swayloc I get...I have some rubbing on mine, specifically on the passenger side though. The spring perch though...do we both run the Rancho RS55255s? I don't remember how much room I had but I didn't have contact when I cycled my suspension. And I only have 4" backspacing.

Yup, that's what I've got too, and I'm using all the up available (with bumps compressed, they're 0.25" from bottoming out).

I measured my spring height. With Currie 4" and RC 0.25" spacer, I have about 3.75" of lift in the front. Weird since the only weight up front is a chopped stock bumper w/ winch. I'm thinking getting a thicker spacer in there should solve the spring mount rubbing and level out the Jeep too.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Yup, that's what I've got too, and I'm using all the up available (with bumps compressed, they're 0.25" from bottoming out).

I measured my spring height. With Currie 4" and RC 0.25" spacer, I have about 3.75" of lift in the front. Weird since the only weight up front is a chopped stock bumper w/ winch. I'm thinking getting a thicker spacer in there should solve the spring mount rubbing and level out the Jeep too.

The way the stuffed tire will lean in when the other tire is drooped makes me wonder if increasing the ride height wouldn't actually make it contact even more, effectively raising the spring perch more into the tire. But I have pretty much spot on 4" of lift and don't have that contact, so maybe not. A little more spacer is an easy change to undo if you need to.

Is it doing it on both sides or just driver?

This is where my mind went too.

my axle is pretty much dead on center, so maybe there's something there to look into. My swayloc contact is only on the passenger side, which makes sense because that side has the extra width for the locking mechanism.

Reactions: PRNDL
The way the stuffed tire will lean in when the other tire is drooped makes me wonder if increasing the ride height wouldn't actually make it contact even more, effectively raising the spring perch more into the tire. But I have pretty much spot on 4" of lift and don't have that contact, so maybe not. A little more spacer is an easy change to undo if you need to.
Right, that's my thinking too.

Is it doing it on both sides or just driver?
This is where my mind went too.

It’s in the exact same spot on both sides.

Now that I think about it, I’m not sure on the exact backspacing of my wheels. I was told 3.75”, but never checked for myself.

Maybe it’s a combination of deeper backspacing and not enough lift? I’ll get under there tonight and check the BS.

View attachment 477617

I’ve got a 0.25” spacer on my wheels with stock lugs. You need to get 6 full rotations of the lug nuts on the studs. I just get that. I’ve been G2G for over a year now.

My BS is 4.25” and I had to add two washers on the steering stops and I still rub the SL and upper perch right where you do and I’m at 4.25” of spring lift up front, so I don’t think adding a spacer will alleviate the rub.

Before this I had a different set of wheels with 3.625” BS and they rubbed my AR and upper spring perch. No washers on the steering stops on that setup

Reactions: PNW_LJ
It’s funny how once you start with one power tool brand, you pretty much gotta stick with it due to batteries. I’ve decided to go red.

Unfortunately I did disappoint my father, who is a Makita fan. Just kidding, he’s the one that got me the impact.

Never! Just getting gas. Knew a guy who totaled out 3 cars that way, that his mommy bought him.

Have fun at Reiter, wish I was able to be there too. Chance to try out those new additions to your Jeep..
Enjoy the day and Merry Christmas..

Cold, wet and empty. In other words, awesome. Completed several new trails.

Burned up my new M8000 motor. Having fever symptoms, so I’ll post some more info/pics tomorrow.

DAMN.... On both the winch & not feeling OK...

IMO you need a 9k lb winch or a 8274 for your LJ and have a snatch block handy when you need do any serious pulls.

Feel better/