Jalapeño; an extra spicy build

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Go to post #2 for actual build plans.

To start, this won't be a crazy build (famous last words) full of cutting, welding, outboarding, or stretching. You won't ever find me in Johnson Valley or at King of the Hammers. I like mild rock crawling and mostly forest roads, or just simply going off the beaten path. This is what I enjoyed doing in my last jeep and will continue to do in this one. I'm excited for this build, because I can implement lessons learned from my last jeep, use the knowledge I've gained from everyone here, and build a really solid and capable jeep.

A little background. My last TJ was a 2002 APEX edition (over-glorified X) in Bright Silver Metallic with a dark agate interior and Cognac "ultrahide" seats. I liked the silver exterior, but despised the dark interior with the off-color seats. The only reason I bought it in the first place was because I got it stock in pristine condition for $7k with 58k original miles on it. Even now that would be a steal, but three years ago, that was pillage and plunder. Here's a couple pictures right after I bought it.
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg

Cue six months ago when I was considering selling this and getting an LJR. I was browsing CL ads when a 2000 Sahara in Forest Green Pearl popped up. I had never really looked at photos of one, but the green pearlcoat with the tan hardtop was beautiful. I always loved the TJ tan interior, which the Sahara has, and the two-tone green and tan cloth seats looked sharp. An added bonus is the fact that the Sahara has tan roll bar padding instead of black. I was sold. I tossed the idea of an LJR or a TJR because I haven't yet had the need for lockers or a 4:1 transfer case, and adding a locker yourself isn't that hard to do. If I ever get to the point that I need one, I will.

I started looking in December and sold my silver TJ in January. Over the course of almost six months, several really nice, low-mileage Saharas popped up, and were sold almost as quickly as they were posted. I had a good budget for one, but there are lots of people here that have much more to spend :)

A couple weeks ago, I almost pulled the trigger on a 1998 Sport with 56k miles. It was nice, but not what I really wanted. I wanted another jeep so bad that I was willing to compromise. I had a talk with my brother the night before I had planned to pick it up and he confirmed what I already knew; "Be patient, the right one will present itself and you'll know." Half an hour later I'm at home browsing CL, and a 2000 Sahara with 53k miles shows up in a town about an hour from me for $10k. It was the original owner and he had bought it brand new in 1999. I was floored, and immediately text the guy. It had been posted only two hours prior, so I was hoping I'd be the first.

I get a text back from him informing me that several parties are already interested, and that someone is coming in the morning to look at it. My heart sank. Who would pass on that? I informed him I'd bring him cash first thing in the AM and wouldn't haggle him on price. He told me he would keep me in the loop if the first guy passed.

I received a text from him about 15 minutes later.
IMG_3315.jpg

I would be lying if I told you I didn't do a little dance of joy. We worked out the details and I met him the next morning.

I was a bit concerned before I showed up. I looked up the build sheet and the jeep originally came from MS, and then ND. He assured me that here was minor surface rust, but people who come from the rust belt have an entirely different opinion on what 'light rust" means. He also told me that several people had offered him anywhere from the $11-13k range to outbid me, but he said he didn't need the extra cash and would honor his deal with me. It was only an hour away and it was a good excuse to get out of Sedona for the day, so off I went.

It was in great shape and it really did have only minor surface rust. The inside of the frame was solid and the underbody was spotless. The paint was in good shape, some scratches on the fender flares mostly, but the paint itself was still very healthy. The interior was pristine. For 10K I wasn't gonna be that picky. I took it for a ten minute test drive to make sure everything was running properly and that the 4x4 worked, signed the bill of sale, and drove it home. Here's the first picture I took of it, and a couple more.
IMG_3318.jpg
IMG_3319.jpg
IMG_3322.jpg
61056891764__9FB6C676-D6AC-4F5A-87A4-21CD4B97B906.JPG

Last edited:
Build plans below:

Now I've already had a build plan laid out for a few months, so I know exactly what components I plan to get and how I'm gonna put it all together. I would like to keep this build looking as stock as possible. I picked the Sahara because of it's classy look with the painted rockers and flares, and I love the 15x8 Canyon wheels. This means I'll be keeping the OEM wheels, fenders and flares, rocker panels, and bumpers. I want to build it in a way that can spank the "For the Gram" overlander JKU owners who threw 35s on a 2" lift with tunable FOX shocks, all while maintaining an impressive 2" of up travel. I currently have two different options:

#1). Very basic with 31s on 2" Pro Comp springs, Savvy TC shifter, quick disconnects, and a JKS front adjustable track bar.

#2). A little more bang with 32x11.5x15s, 2" Pro Comp springs, Savvy 1.25" BL, Savvy TC shifter, Currie Antirock, JKS front adjustable track bar, a 1" TT, and an SYE.

I already have 31s, so I'm going with option #1 to see how I like the look/feel as I get more technical with how I wheel. I can always add to #1 and create #2 if I want more. Odds are I will :)

The other part of this build is trying to keep it as "stock" looking as possible. It looks classy, and also surprise people when you go all sorts of fun places. I started giving my last jeep the "Quadratec" treatment and added all sorts of stuff like tube bumpers, tube side steps, beefy steelies with 33s, and lots of LEDs. I realized after about a year that the TJ looks really really good in stock form. I slowly reverted it back to a stock looking jeep, all the while keeping it very capable. I plan to do the same with the Sahara.

This is how my last jeep looked at the height of it's Quadratec career
IMG_0655.jpg

And how it looked when I sold it, a look that I like very much.
IMG_2688.jpg

Now on to the Sahara! The jeep had a few tasteful mods which I plan to change entirely. It was sitting on 31" BFG KO's in great shape and lots of tread, a 3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift (which is actually sitting more like 4" after measuring the springs), Rancho RS5000 shocks, bump stop extensions from the spring perches, quick disconnects (not sure of brand), a 1" TC drop, and a Tabor 9k winch (made by Warn). He almost did a good job with the suspension parts, but wasn't quite there. The track bars are stock, and on their stock mounts causing the axles to sit horribly off-center. He added the TC drop which aided in vibrations, but didn't fully eliminate them. An SYE would have solved this, but it's still on the original slip yoke and stock control arms. Other than the small vibration, it rode, drove, and tracked very well on the way home down the freeway at 75mph. The engine felt strong and healthy and the transmission shifted like it was new.
IMG_3380.jpg

The only things I plan to repurpose are the winch, quick disconnects, and bump stop extensions. Everything else will be redone. The winch is very beefy and I like how it looks on the raised mount on the stock bumper. It's build quality seems on par with Warn, and reviews rave about the quality and durability.
IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

Last edited:
The first thing I did when I brought it home was pull out the dash pieces and give them a good clean. While the interior was in great shape, it has definitely spent time with the top down. A soft bristle brush with some simple green brought the color back to the trim pieces. I went ahead and vacuumed the seats and carpet really well while I was at it. The front has really nice Husky floor liners, and the carpet underneath is immaculate. The liners have seen some use and I'm glad it was them instead of the carpet.
IMG_3331.jpg
IMG_3379.jpg

And speaking of having the top down, this jeep came with dual tops! The PO bought this jeep brand new and said he only used the soft top a couple times and it was basically brand new. I kind of brushed it off like "yeah ok bud" but once I unrolled it and the windows and cleaned them up, I found out he wasn't exaggerating. It's a factory "Dark Tan" soft top and it does look brand new. I have some friends that are leaving town till December and letting me use their garage to store my jeep. Once I have the garage and have a place I can keep the hardtop I'll definitely be sporting the tan soft top.
IMG_3364.jpg

I also gave it a good claybar, buff, and wax treatment to bring the shine back to the cleacoat. It took care of about 90% of the scratches on the jeep as well.
IMG_3381.jpg

The two-tone paint is stellar.
IMG_3378.JPG

Last edited:
That’s a fantastic deal! What a great looking Jeep. I’m jealous (but just slightly :LOL: ).

Today was the first major project in transforming this jeep; removing the surface rust. It's no secret that us south westerners are snobby when it comes to any kind of corrosion. While I'm no fan of it, I don't mind putting in some work to get rid of it. This was also a good chance to get rid of the TC drop.

After removing the skid, there was about as much rust between that and the frame as I expected. There was still plenty of healthy metal beneath the flakes, and the inside looked good too after an endoscope inspection. The rest of the frame doesn't look anything like the underside and sides pictured here. If anything, the skid seemed like it was in worse shape than the frame was.

Oh don't get all dramatic, the pictures make it look worse than it actually was.
IMG_3394.jpg
IMG_3396.jpg
IMG_3397.jpg

My biggest fear was the nutserts in the frame spinning out. I prepared for the worst, yet got the best; no spinners. A bit surprised, I cleaned up around one of the nutserts to find someone preemptively tack welded them to the frame.
IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

As stated before, there was plenty of healthy metal under the surface rust, and had a nice "clunk" to it when hit with a breaker bar.

After an intense wire wheel session, I cleaned the surface rust to my heart's content and went ahead with painting it. Did I need to take care of the surface rust? Not really. It would take 30 years in AZ before that rust rotted out my frame. But my OCD would't allow for it.

Driver side finished.
IMG_3403.jpg

Passenger side prepped. I think a painted underside with all the bolts, body underside, and joints all painted over looks so tacky. It screams lazy and lack of care, and takes away from a nice finished look. So I spent time masking off the body, body bolts and mounts, control arm bolts, exhaust, and fender liners.
IMG_3426.jpg

I also gave the skid plate a refresh as well.
IMG_3405.jpg
IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3429.jpg

Some grade 8 hardware and anti seize to make sure any future removals go smoothly.
IMG_3431.jpg

The result is a professional and factory looking finish. Note that the TC drop is gone too. It's amazing how much of a difference an inch makes ;)
IMG_3432.jpg

Side step installed. I sanded and painted those too.
IMG_3433.jpg

I have almost all of the parts for my lift here too. Except I accidentally ordered two sets of rear springs instead of a set of front and rear, doh! Those will be here Monday and I'll document the suspension overhaul when I get to it next week. I also bought new fluids because again, OCD, and I want to know what MY jeep is running.
IMG_3436.jpg

This is the stuff I used to paint the frame, and was actually picked based on forum recommendations. I think it looks perfect, and after a few wheeling sessions I don't think you'll ever be able to tell that the frame was painted.
61127746253__6B9E9554-5ADD-423E-8F12-B8D70530BE60.JPG

I like your style! I'd love a clean Sahara in that color combo, one of my favorite TJs.

Also, the frame rust under the skid, that's normal. Even my last one that was rust free had surface rust there. Fortunately it's very easy to clean up, but I swear, they all have it, even the clean ones.

I probably missed it, but what are your plans with this one in terms of lift, wheels, etc.?

Reactions: Rick Flair
I like your style! I'd love a clean Sahara in that color combo, one of my favorite TJs.

Also, the frame rust under the skid, that's normal. Even my last one that was rust free had surface rust there. Fortunately it's very easy to clean up, but I swear, they all have it, even the clean ones.

I probably missed it, but what are your plans with this one in terms of lift, wheels, etc.?
I touched on it in post #2, but I’ll go more into depth on my plans when I do the lift and update the thread.

Nice work. I need to also get underneath my Jeep and clean it up.

Really like the wheel / suspension geometry of your silver Jeep before you sold it. I assume that’s the goal for the Sahara as well ?

Really like the wheel / suspension geometry of your silver Jeep before you sold it. I assume that’s the goal for the Sahara as well ?
Yes very similar to it. It was a great setup and got me anywhere I tried to go, within reason lol. It sat on 32s, 2” lift, and a 1” BL. If I go that route I’ll go a little more extreme on build parts, but for now I’m gonna run 31s and a 2” lift to see how I like it. Either way I’m gonna run the canyon wheels on my Sahara to maintain that “stock” look and because I really like them.

See post #2 for my build ideas!

Front springs came in. Lift goes on tomorrow!
9FA166D7-69A1-443C-9FC0-266306F2F2A9.jpeg

I also programmed an off-brand SKIM key today. I have the two original Mopar keys and decided $10 would be a good investment instead of potentially losing one of them. They’ll go in the file folder with my title, so if I ever lose the off-brand key or it goes bad, I still have my originals to program another one.

Home Depot also cut the spare for free. He said they just charge the price of one of their blanks but since I brought my own he wouldn’t charge me. He checked to see if the keys were chipped and his little scanner didn’t pick up on them, so that was a win for me!
8E1DB70B-1351-4318-AFAE-F93C1AC9BABC.jpeg

36B180EA-4B16-4D50-8244-75A46656A0C7.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
Finally got the PO's lift off of the jeep and put my own lift on with a huge help from my knowledgable buddy @kmas0n. Seriously, thank you so much for donating your time, equipment, and knowledge to help me tackle this project. Trying to make the happen by myself in my driveway would have taken a full day.

So as stated in post #2, I would like to keep this build looking as stock as possible. I picked the Sahara because of it's classy look with the painted rockers and flares, and I love the 15x8 Canyon wheels. This means I'll be keeping the OEM wheels, fenders and flares, rocker panels, and bumpers. I will never need (again, famous last words) beadlocks, outboarded shocks, a mid-arm lift, or highline/tube fenders.

I will keep this jeep on 31s with a 2" lift for now, and if my wheeling begins to exceed the capabilities of the current mods, I will do a 1" body lift, 1" tummy tuck, 32s, and all of the appropriate parts to build it properly. I may also go that route anyways because knowing me I'll get bored and want to overhaul everything, something I'm sure none of you would understand ;) I've taken a liking to the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. They are reasonably priced in a load C range, and many reviews state that they are grippy, quiet, and wear well. I'm also a fan of the "blocky" sidewall pattern. I'll get myself a new set in either 31" or 32" whenever I know if my build will expand or not, or if my current 31" BFG KOs wear out. To clarify, these are not KO2s, these are KOs.

We started on the front knowing that would be the most difficult to make line up and work. Spoiler alert; it was, taking about three hours. I mentioned above the RE springs were netting close to 4" of lift, so we had to remove the lower control arms along with the track bar to get enough droop out of the axle. This wasn't hard to do, just tedious and time consuming. Despite taking time, everything went smoothly. No seized or broken bolts, no surprises, bushings all looked good. It was obvious that the shocks we pulled off were done for when I compressed one and it stayed compressed.

We outfitted the front with 2" Pro Comp Springs, Rancho RS5000X (0-2") shocks, and a couple of Rubicon Express .75" spring spacers to eliminate the rake. I'll also get myself a new steering stabilizer at some point, but that's an easy swap for another time. I retained the quick disconnects because I know I'll use those until I get myself an Antirock.

We then checked bump stops with shocks and tires and discovered that the factory setup was perfect for the spring/tire combination, so I was able to eliminate the 2-3" of bump stop the PO had installed on the spring perch. Front = zero additional bump stop, if that even seems possible.

I tired to get more photos, but we were in too much of a zone to think about it.

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

An alignment was also done while the wheels were off. The toe-in was actually toe-out, measuring about 3/8" farther out in the front than in the rear.

The rear was much simpler and took close to an hour. There's a lot less linkage to try and line up :) We experienced one hiccup in the rear though. The rear track bar has a 2" relocation bracket that we discovered was hitting the tub when at full bump. This was leaving just shy of an inch of the shock shaft still exposed. Unfortunately, the bolt in the OEM location was seized in place, so we couldn't remove the bracket. We broke one T55 bit trying to get it out, and almost broke another. So the 2" bump stops that were originally in the spring cups had to be reinstalled. It sucks losing an inch of up travel, but this can and will be fixed later down the road with the right quality tools.

IMG_3463.jpg

On the plus side, no control arms had to be removed and the track bar lined right back up, making this a simple swap in the rear. My helper also had some factory rear sway bar links to replace the extended ones. The rear was fitted with 2" Pro Comp rear springs and Rancho RS5000X (0-2") shocks.

IMG_3462.jpg

After everything was buttoned up, we torqued everything to proper spec thanks to @Chris' helpful list here.

Before:
IMG_3380.jpg

After:
IMG_3466.jpg

Before:
IMG_3378 2.JPG

After:

IMG_3465.jpg
IMG_3464.jpg

2" may not seem like much, but it does to the ladi....I mean to the jeep when it comes to suspension components. An example; I had a slight harmonic resonance with the 4" springs and a 1" TC drop on there. Once I removed the TC drop, it went to full vibes. After taking it down 2", the vibes are 100% gone and the ride is as smooth as could be. The jeep also looks much more proportionate with the 2" lift and 31s. The shocks obviously ride much better, and with the alignment set, it tracks and steers tight and smooth.

The jeep is currently in a friend's garage with the hardtop finally off. I'll be pulling it out tomorrow to outfit the soft top and take it on it's first run, stay tuned!

Wait, did the thread title change? And it wasn't me who did it? :ROFLMAO:

She looks good. I have a lot of appreciation these days for a modestly built TJ that retains most of the factory look but adds a 2" lift and a few other goodies.

Do you plan to keep the factory bumpers? I'll be honest with you, I actually think it looks really good with the factory bumpers and the winch. It looks like just enough without being overkill.

Only other thing I think that would make this thing look over the top good would be a set of matching half doors (y)

Wait, did the thread title change? And it wasn't me who did it? :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha I just changed it like 15 minutes ago. My friend accidentally named it for me!
827F1881-10B1-427C-BF87-D6DCF5CDA47B.jpeg

Do you plan to keep the factory bumpers? I'll be honest with you, I actually think it looks really good with the factory bumpers and the winch. It looks like just enough without being overkill.

I picked the Sahara because of it's classy look with the painted rockers and flares, and I love the 15x8 Canyon wheels. This means I'll be keeping the OEM wheels, fenders and flares, rocker panels, and bumpers.
😉

Thanks! I love the classy, modestly built, stock look. I think some new 31s would wrap it up nicely. If I can find some nice half doors I’ll definitely jump on them, but I’m bias towards full doors. Crank windows is soooooo much easier and visibility is much better on-road.

Reactions: Vasq and Chris
Hahaha I just changed it like 15 minutes ago. My friend accidentally named it for me!
View attachment 162794

😉

Thanks! I love the classy, modestly built, stock look. I think some new 31s would wrap it up nicely. If I can find some nice half doors I’ll definitely jump on them, but I’m bias towards full doors. Crank windows is soooooo much easier and visibility is much better on-road.

I thought I loved full doors the most until I got these TJ with half doors, now I'm not sure I could ever go back!

Anyways, it looks great, and I think it helps that it's super clean.

Keep it the way it is for the most part and I think you'll have one of those TJs that gets compliments everywhere you go.

Very well done sir! Love that color combo. Wish I would have kept your build philosophy when I first started out with a 2" lift and 31's on Canyons. Damn rabbit hole!

Reactions: JMT
Very well done sir! Love that color combo. Wish I would have kept your build philosophy when I first started out with a 2" lift and 31's on Canyons. Damn rabbit hole!
Thanks! It's a rabbit hole I'm very wary of venturing towards again lol. I cringe thinking about how much money I spent on my last jeep modding certain things and then realizing I liked them better the original way. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and I think some new 31s would really set the look. Keeping it here will give me a bigger budget for things like a TT and maybe some lockers. Stay tuned!

Reactions: bobthetj03