JB Conversions Super Short SYE Speedo Failure

For a standard lift on a TJ, the JB "Shorty" (SSSYE) is absolutely the best quality solution for lengthening the rear DS. Build quality is excellent!!!
Right on, good to hear. I did read up on their engineering approach vs the competition, and was impressed by their improvements. I suppose your consensus is that sensor aside, the rest of their design is still superior enough compared to the rest to still recommend their product. Thanks for your input and my apologies for deviating from the main conversation here.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Right on, good to hear. I did read up on their engineering approach vs the competition, and was impressed by their improvements. I suppose your consensus is that sensor aside, the rest of their design is still superior enough compared to the rest to still recommend their product. Thanks for your input and my apologies for deviating from the main conversation here.
Bottom line is that the vss jb purchases to install in their product is of higher quality than their competitors. Honeywell is excellent quality as far as controls and sensors, but sensors sometimes fail... Definitely not a common issue with a vss, but it can happen. Failure is more likely with knockoffs in my experience

I feel like a walked into an advertisement
My apologies. I do mechanical system controls (using Honeywell frequently) and still feel warm& fuzzy about my 5yo sye
I sure could use an advertisement for the o-ring size of the vss for either a 241 or jb sssye 😉
...But gasket maker works...
final answer

It's a bit tricky to measure loose, but the OD as installed is 24.01mm. Taking the O-ring off the sensor it seems to be around 23.6mm OD / 20mm ID. It measures just under 2mm thick from inside to outside and just over 2mm from bottom to top so I'd suspect that my O-ring has compressed/shrunk a bit over the years.

If I had to guess from what I've seen, seems like either a JIS P20 or a -116 might be the right size.

And I'll agree with the sentiment on the quality of the parts. I wish I didn't have to redo the PO's work, but aside from choosing a speedo sensor with poor aftermarket support, I can't really fault anything on the design of the JB Conversions kit.

Getting that rear bearing out of the snap ring is no fun and I'm sure it'll be just as not fun going together again.

Reactions: Jablinski
It's a bit tricky to measure loose, but the OD as installed is 24.01mm. Taking the O-ring off the sensor it seems to be around 23.6mm OD / 20mm ID. It measures just under 2mm thick from inside to outside and just over 2mm from bottom to top so I'd suspect that my O-ring has compressed/shrunk a bit over the years.

If I had to guess from what I've seen, seems like either a JIS P20 or a -116 might be the right size.

And I'll agree with the sentiment on the quality of the parts. I wish I didn't have to redo the PO's work, but aside from choosing a speedo sensor with poor aftermarket support, I can't really fault anything on the design of the JB Conversions kit.

Getting that rear bearing out of the snap ring is no fun and I'm sure it'll be just as not fun going together again.
Much easier putting together.
"Duck bill external lock ring pliers " are your friend.
Thanks for the measurements

My apologies. I do mechanical system controls (using Honeywell frequently) and still feel warm& fuzzy about my 5yo sye
I sure could use an advertisement for the o-ring size of the vss for either a 241 or jb sssye 😉
...But gasket maker works...
final answer
I had o ring failure caused by I think sloppy work by the shop that just installed mine. The O ring was out of the groove and flattened in a small spot. It caused major leakage. I bought a package of O rings that was marked as oil filter relocation replacements. I just found the best fit and with advice from Mr. Blaine applied a small amount of RTV on it .

Reactions: Jablinski
I know a lot of us run the JB super short SYE, if your speedo fails mid trip like mine did going to KoH, Napa part CSS1159 is the part to get to replace the hall effect sensor.

It's marked as a cam position sensor, but it's the exact fit part and worked for me.

I'm picking one up tomorrow and hope for same outcome as yours.

Considering I'm in the market for a SYE, and wanting to do this right the first time around, is the JB Conversions Super Short SYE still the best choice?

It's what I was leaning towards..

JB Conversions is DEFINITELY the best choice for me and I highly recommend it.

Also make sure the nut on the output yoke of the tcase is torqued correctly as that will cause the speedo to not work or very erratically.

Reactions: Jeep 541X