Jeep 4.0 Camshaft Suggestions

Lucas_cap1

So I’m new on here and I have a TJ with a 4.0 in it that I’m replacing with another 4.0 I got for cheap that I’m looking to build before I swap it out, I wanna put a beefy cam in it so I’m looking for recommendations? Not tryna spend a lot just want a cam that sounds good (choppy) with a little added power and torque, more so looking for sound than power. Was wondering if anyone knows about the Comp Cams 232 Camshaft

Any high performance cam, especially one that has a choppy idle is going to hurt power off idle to around 2k which is important on the trail. If you just haul ass around town it's fine but you're going to take a hit off-road, especially with a manual.

I’m not too worried about power unless it’s a huge difference cause I have 4.11s right now and I plan on doing a few other power adders my main concern is basically I just wanna hear the chop lol but more power is a bonus, it’s a tj with a top speed of like 80 mph I’m not trying to win races it’s an around town cruiser with the occasional off road adventure

I know how stupid it sounds
If all you’re after is sound, give yourself a vacuum leak and it’ll sound like you have a cam. Otherwise I think this is a bad idea.
well no I do want power I’m just saying that it’s not like I’m looking for crazy HP gains or torque I just want a cam that’ll help wake it up plus I realllly want the chop, don’t wanna be driving around with a vacuum leak, I was looking around a lot and I’m thinking about the comp cams 205/213 cam

Reactions: D's Jeep Wrld
This post reminded me of the kid who wanted his TJ to pop like gun shots and spit flames lol
Just get a muffler and if that doesn’t please you I think you’ll have to get another vehicle.

This post reminded me of the kid who wanted his TJ to pop like gun shots and spit flames lol
Just get a muffler and if that doesn’t please you I think you’ll have to get another vehicle.
Yeah no not tryna shoot flames 😂 I already have a magnaflow and I love the sound it makes

Just disconnect a spark plug wire. If you have a coil rail, pull the spring out of one of the coil extensions.

Chop chop chop

Reactions: L J and NashvilleTJ
True, doesn’t help tho, looking for a little power with the cam and chop not just chop
A lopey cam is made to make power at high rpm, and if the rest of the engine is still stock, it will never rev high enough to take advantage of the cam. Therefore, you will only get the lope, and worse performance at just about every rpm at which the stock I6 can operate. So I think it will be just the chop. If that’s what you want, that’s certainly fine - but it will be no fun to drive.

Adding enough duration to the camshaft to give it chop also needs a bump in compression. The 4.0L is a low compression engine and a choppy cams bleed cylinder pressure.

I don't think the 205/213 @.050" lift would chop. I would think you would need another 10-15 degrees to be noticeable and below 3000ish it will be down on power compared to stock. This is based on cams I've used in V8s. Try YouTube for 4.0L choppy cams sounds.

A lopey cam is made to make power at high rpm, and if the rest of the engine is still stock, it will never rev high enough to take advantage of the cam. Therefore, you will only get the lope, and worse performance at just about every rpm at which the stock I6 can operate. So I think it will be just the chop. If that’s what you want, that’s certainly fine - but it will be no fun to drive.
I’m also building a head for it gonna hone it and put roller rockers also gonna do a header I don’t care too much about loosing a little low end power considering my 1st gear is almost useless unless I’m on a steep hill

Adding enough duration to the camshaft to give it chop also needs a bump in compression. The 4.0L is a low compression engine and a choppy cams bleed cylinder pressure.

I don't think the 205/213 @.050" lift would chop. I would think you would need another 10-15 degrees to be noticeable and below 3000ish it will be down on power compared to stock. This is based on cams I've used in V8s. Try YouTube for 4.0L choppy cams sounds.
I’ll look into it more thank you!

Dropping a nice bumpstick into a stock 4.0 will most lkely have an adverse effect and hurt your performance.
Like @Brianj5600 said you have a low compression engine and you're going to bleed cylinder pressure with that type of cam.
Most performance cams for the 4.0 do not utilize stock valve springs and most performance springs require machining the spring seat.
You said you don't want to spend a lot.
Cam
lifters
timing chain
head gasket kit and bolts
valve springs, retainers and keepers
machining cylinder head, valve job, seals

all of that just for a choppy idle and no power under 2500 rpm's.
Another thing to keep in mind is performance cams usually don't live very long in our motors.

no cam with a choppy idle is going to do what you want it to in the powerband.
and no, it won't make it sound like a v8 either. I don't think it'll sound as good as you hope it will.

Go for the biggest one you can find that's listed as working with factory EFI. That's your real limitation. EFI doesn't like overlap, and overlap is what makes it lumpy. If you're looking at getting a tune then you should be asking your tuner.

IF you are going to get it tuned to handle more cam look for a narrow LSA. Most factory and EFI cams have a wide LSA for a quiet idle and a smooth transition throughout the entire RPM range. A narrow LSA tends to be more peaky: less smooth idle and off-idle power, then comes on strong in the power band, and drops off fast above it.

Link to the comp cam you're talking about?

As others have suggested, you are barking up the wrong tree here. If you want a 4.0 with a choppy cam, you're going to need to build the motor and get it tuned. Slapping an off the shelf cam in it with factory compression and no tune will result in terrible driveability and almost certain check engine lights. Plus anything off the shelf with enough duration and overlap to sound mean will probably have too much lift for stock valve springs. Also, what year do you have? Newer style cams have a very limited aftermarket selection. You could convert to an older style cam, but that's just another thing. All of this for sound from an engine that won't perform as good as it sounds. That's ricer.

I suggest you take your time, build a [stroker] motor on a stand slowly over time spec'd out the way you want including cam. Then plan on having it tuned. It still won't sound like a v8 and that's fine, but know that going in to it. Some of the best sounding engines are I6's. I've owned and played with many. Nothing sounds like a v8 though.

My Jeep I6 based stroker with a healthy cam and just shy of 9.8:1 compression:

As others have suggested, you are barking up the wrong tree here. If you want a 4.0 with a choppy cam, you're going to need to build the motor and get it tuned. Slapping an off the shelf cam in it with factory compression and no tune will result in terrible driveability and almost certain check engine lights. Plus anything off the shelf with enough duration and overlap to sound mean will probably have too much lift for stock valve springs. Also, what year do you have? Newer style cams have a very limited aftermarket selection. You could convert to an older style cam, but that's just another thing. All of this for sound from an engine that won't perform as good as it sounds. That's ricer.

I suggest you take your time, build a [stroker] motor on a stand slowly over time spec'd out the way you want including cam. Then plan on having it tuned. It still won't sound like a v8 and that's fine, but know that going in to it. Some of the best sounding engines are I6's. I've owned and played with many. Nothing sounds like a v8 though.

My Jeep I6 based stroker with a healthy cam and just shy of 9.8:1 compression:

That does sound really good, Sky. Damn my Hemi!

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr