Jeep 4.0 Camshaft Suggestions

As others have suggested, you are barking up the wrong tree here. If you want a 4.0 with a choppy cam, you're going to need to build the motor and get it tuned. Slapping an off the shelf cam in it with factory compression and no tune will result in terrible driveability and almost certain check engine lights. Plus anything off the shelf with enough duration and overlap to sound mean will probably have too much lift for stock valve springs. Also, what year do you have? Newer style cams have a very limited aftermarket selection. You could convert to an older style cam, but that's just another thing. All of this for sound from an engine that won't perform as good as it sounds. That's ricer.

I suggest you take your time, build a [stroker] motor on a stand slowly over time spec'd out the way you want including cam. Then plan on having it tuned. It still won't sound like a v8 and that's fine, but know that going in to it. Some of the best sounding engines are I6's. I've owned and played with many. Nothing sounds like a v8 though.

My Jeep I6 based stroker with a healthy cam and just shy of 9.8:1 compression:

That does sound sweet.

Reactions: SvtLdr
As others have suggested, you are barking up the wrong tree here. If you want a 4.0 with a choppy cam, you're going to need to build the motor and get it tuned. Slapping an off the shelf cam in it with factory compression and no tune will result in terrible driveability and almost certain check engine lights. Plus anything off the shelf with enough duration and overlap to sound mean will probably have too much lift for stock valve springs. Also, what year do you have? Newer style cams have a very limited aftermarket selection. You could convert to an older style cam, but that's just another thing. All of this for sound from an engine that won't perform as good as it sounds. That's ricer.

I suggest you take your time, build a [stroker] motor on a stand slowly over time spec'd out the way you want including cam. Then plan on having it tuned. It still won't sound like a v8 and that's fine, but know that going in to it. Some of the best sounding engines are I6's. I've owned and played with many. Nothing sounds like a v8 though.

My Jeep I6 based stroker with a healthy cam and just shy of 9.8:1 compression:

That thing sounds MEAN! 👌

Thanks guys. Wasn't fishing for compliments but it's appreciated. I just wanted to show how not v8 sounding it was. I still like it, but a Ford 302 it ain't. IMHO some of the better sounding I6s only sound "good" at idle because you know what they sound like/do at 8k rpm.

So I’m new on here and I have a TJ with a 4.0 in it that I’m replacing with another 4.0 I got for cheap that I’m looking to build before I swap it out, I wanna put a beefy cam in it so I’m looking for recommendations? Not tryna spend a lot just want a cam that sounds good (choppy) with a little added power and torque, more so looking for sound than power. Was wondering if anyone knows about the Comp Cams 232 Camshaft

Yeah it's a freaking awesome cam but go with the Comp Cam stage 2 if you're going to run stock heads you see the power difference top end power and you will see the gas efficiency to really good cam I put it in a motor that I had I got almost 500 MI per tank on my Jeep and that 15 to 18 gallon tank and top end power I was able to go up hills a lot a lot a lot better without shifting from filth to 4th the top end power was able to take the hill and 5th gear with not a problem just step on the gas a little bit more and it pulled you right up with no falling on face like it used to hope this helps you

Yeah it's a freaking awesome cam but go with the Comp Cam stage 2 if you're going to run stock heads you see the power difference top end power and you will see the gas efficiency to really good cam I put it in a motor that I had I got almost 500 MI per tank on my Jeep and that 15 to 18 gallon tank and top end power I was able to go up hills a lot a lot a lot better without shifting from filth to 4th the top end power was able to take the hill and 5th gear with not a problem just step on the gas a little bit more and it pulled you right up with no falling on face like it used to hope this helps you

cough-coughing.gif

And the 4.0 only has one head. And Comp doesn't do "stages" with their cams. And please oh please use a freaking period every once in a while.

View attachment 397266

And the 4.0 only has one head. And Comp doesn't do "stages" with their cams. And please oh please use a freaking period every once in a while.

Everyone knows its his throttlebody spacer and cold air intake that added 75hp!

Skyline which cam did you use?

I have a comp 231 ground with more lsa. Wish I'd gone with a 235

Looking for guidance with cam selection. Daily driven LJ, 1in body lift, 33×10.50x15s, on stock wheels. 6speed with 3.73s. Want a little more juice, so I'm not feathering the clutch, in traffic BUT don't want to hurt my fuel mileage, if possible. Mileage hurts, getting off the line. On the way to work in the AM with no traffic, I average 18-22 mpgs for the trip. On the way home, in the hot, stop and go traffic, 12-14mpgs for the trip. Thanks in advance!

Looking for guidance with cam selection. Daily driven LJ, 1in body lift, 33×10.50x15s, on stock wheels. 6speed with 3.73s. Want a little more juice, so I'm not feathering the clutch, in traffic BUT don't want to hurt my fuel mileage, if possible. Mileage hurts, getting off the line. On the way to work in the AM with no traffic, I average 18-22 mpgs for the trip. On the way home, in the hot, stop and go traffic, 12-14mpgs for the trip. Thanks in advance!

Thats a lot of cost for a little more juice.and that juice will be at higher rpm using more fuel. You'll be trading factory reliability in as well. Gearing down would be better. The mileage will be more likely to improve or remain where it is doing a mod that makes the motor not work as hard.and You'll get that little bit of juice across the entire rpm range

Not changing compression ratio.
As far as the "juice" if there's a cam profile that will pick up a little bit of what the engineers left on the table, that's a win, mostly under 3K. Again, I'm looking for less clutch work, in stop and go traffic. The cost of a cam and break in oil is a small price to pay for my comfort.

As far as the "juice" if there's a cam profile that will pick up a little bit of what the engineers left on the table, that's a win, mostly under 3K. Again, I'm looking for less clutch work, in stop and go traffic. The cost of a cam and break in oil is a small price to pay for my comfort.

Pay attention to the advice you have already gotten. @Rickyd hit the nail on the head. A cam swap will not do what you expect - especially by itself.

Your problem is your gearing. 3.73’s pushing 33’s is a recipe for a sluggish LJ - even with the six speed. A gear swap would be by far the best bang for the buck.

Cam,lifters,timing set,valve springs,head gasket,timing cover gasket.and the not inconsiderable amount of work tearing down the motor. The stock cam will give you the most bottom end torque for easy clutch work. Bigger cams won't give more off idle torque without higher compression and or more cubic inches.

Gearing down or putting stock tires back on will be the best bang for the buck and actually do what you say you want

Cam,lifters,timing set,valve springs,head gasket,timing cover gasket.and the not inconsiderable amount of work tearing down the motor. The stock cam will give you the most bottom end torque for easy clutch work. Bigger cams won't give more off idle torque without higher compression and or more cubic inches.

Gearing down or putting stock tires back on will be the best bang for the buck and actually do what you say you want

I'm listening but I'm also an over thinker, so please bare with me. After a motocross accident last year, my left him puts me in a bad mood, in traffic. I live in SW Florida, at sea level. Zero hills or elevation changes until I'm half way to Georgia. Went with the 33x10.50s BFGs because the extra sidewall at 24-26 psi, helps with the highway ride but when off road, will cut through the top layer of mud, down to where I can get traction and they handle better in the rain, than wider tires, at my weight.
Gear recommendations?
That being said, feelings about a heavier flywheel?

Reactions: Rickyd
I'm listening but I'm also an over thinker, so please bare with me. After a motocross accident last year, my left him puts me in a bad mood, in traffic. I live in SW Florida, at sea level. Zero hills or elevation changes until I'm half way to Georgia. Went with the 33x10.50s BFGs because the extra sidewall at 24-26 psi, helps with the highway ride but when off road, will cut through the top layer of mud, down to where I can get traction and they handle better in the rain, than wider tires, at my weight.
Gear recommendations?
That being said, feelings about a heavier flywheel?

*hip not him

I feel ya about clutch work in traffic.it can be terrible.after i had a knee put back together i drove an auto for over a year as a solution.what about keeping more room between you and the car ahead so you don't stop quite as much?could help a little

Me and @SkylinesSuck both have stroker 6's with higher compression and comp cams. They do exactly what you're after but at a very steep cost.i run the centerforce heavyweight flywheel but honestly don't know if it does anything.

The usual recommendation for 33's is 4.56 gears. Maybe someone like @JMT can chime in as the 6 speed is a bit different from the earlier 5 speeds.

I feel ya about clutch work in traffic.it can be terrible.after i had a knee put back together i drove an auto for over a year as a solution.what about keeping more room between you and the car ahead so you don't stop quite as much?could help a little

Me and @SkylinesSuck both have stroker 6's with higher compression and comp cams. They do exactly what you're after but at a very steep cost.i run the centerforce heavyweight flywheel but honestly don't know if it does anything.

The usual recommendation for 33's is 4.56 gears. Maybe someone like @JMT can chime in as the 6 speed is a bit different from the earlier 5 speeds.

To raise the compression, am I limited to machine work or are there thinner thinner head gasket available? Again, I really appreciate your patience and understanding.

There are thinner head gaskets.i don't know if it can achieve much though.

I run 4.10 and 33s. But with 40 more cubic inches

Best cam you can buy to improve performance, gas mileage and reliability is one for a 5.3 LS.

After you get the cam buy the rest of the engine.

=)

-Mac

Reactions: srimes