"Jeep Air" kit problem on 05 TJ

I do know that when I unplug my original control panel I here the vacuum hiss from the retained vacuum. I don't hear that with either of the new control heads.

Do you have a green vacuum hose coming off port G of your vacuum harness?

Yes. I believe this is the one. This pic is when I had the box out, installing the evaporator

20210327_230759.jpg

I’m guessing wasn’t connected to anything? Try plugging it & see what happens.

It was connected. Here is a pic of it put back together. I tool allot of pics when I had it out.

Like I said, all non ac controls work. But straight defrost when the new controller is installed.

20210327_230748.jpg

The only real difference I see in both schematics is the green vacuum is used for the ac version. This is very frustrating. Would I need to pull vacuum to the door actuator from the control head?

The only real difference I see in both schematics is the green vacuum is used for the ac version. This is very frustrating. Would I need to pull vacuum to the door actuator from the control head?
Yeah I bet you're frustrated, I would be too.

In addition to the green vacuum hose not being used with your old panel, it also looks like there might be a difference in the red/brown hoses. On your old system they can be actuated individually, on the AC version they're actuated together. Red goes to panel vent actuator, brown goes to the floor actuator.

Also, on your old system when you set it to 'floor' or 'mix' it draws a vacuum on the brown hose to the floor actuator - on the new system it says 'vented' which makes it sound like the brown hose should be open to atmosphere.

In any case the fact that you're not hearing hissing on the new panel when you disconnect indicates that something is preventing vacuum from building up, hence the default to the defrost setting. Did the company you bought this from provide any troubleshooting advice? The fact that your old panel is working just fine says to me that your issue is with this new system - either a bad panel x2 or something not accounted for

Yeah I bet you're frustrated, I would be too.

In addition to the green vacuum hose not being used with your old panel, it also looks like there might be a difference in the red/brown hoses. On your old system they can be actuated individually, on the AC version they're actuated together. Red goes to panel vent actuator, brown goes to the floor actuator.

Also, on your old system when you set it to 'floor' or 'mix' it draws a vacuum on the brown hose to the floor actuator - on the new system it says 'vented' which makes it sound like the brown hose should be open to atmosphere.

In any case the fact that you're not hearing hissing on the new panel when you disconnect indicates that something is preventing vacuum from building up, hence the default to the defrost setting. Did the company you bought this from provide any troubleshooting advice? The fact that your old panel is working just fine says to me that your issue is with this new system - either a bad panel x2 or something not accounted for
I contacted jeep air and they sent me the second control panel. When that didn't work they said it has to be my vacuum system.

I contacted jeep air and they sent me the second control panel. When that didn't work they said it has to be my vacuum system.
I would've thought the new control head should divert the vacuum where it needed to go and vent what needed to vent, hence the ac version and non ac version. They said it is plug and play.

I would've thought the new control head should divert the vacuum where it needed to go and vent what needed to vent, hence the ac version and non ac version. They said it is plug and play.
Doesn't seem like it. Make any headway on it?

I'm installing a heater core here over the next week, when I get the dash off I can take pics of my vacuum hose routing if you think it'll help since I have factory AC.

So I pulled the control head off and used a mighty ac to pull light vacuum on all hoses at the connector. All hold vacuum. Any suggestions for next step?

16179174869031201335815802969067.jpg

I just put my case back together.

Driver side actuators - red goes to top, blue & yellow both go to the middle one, brown goes to the bottom

51F39B06-888C-49EE-B476-B1B16192D13B.jpeg

Green goes to the one on the passenger side under the shield
CA8C5344-54D8-4564-86BA-5F5904EE570E.jpeg

Here’s what my connector looks like
3F7BCD37-B7FD-41E8-B17F-E3BD7FD1E0AE.jpeg

01EA3D8D-BE2D-498C-8610-3A39DDBAD83D.jpeg

I also just checked my connector too, all hoses except black hold vacuum

So not apples to apples then. I have a ‘99, maybe that’s the difference. Either way the routing is different between heater & heater/ac which is why I thought it was weird at the beginning of this thread that all they gave you was a factory heater/ac control head to plug into your existing box.

At this point I’d be on the phone with the company asking to talk to someone who knows how this kit is supposed to function on your Jeep with a heater only hvac box & vacuum routings.

Jeep air sent me a 2004 control head and a vacuum harness. Everything is working now. I even switched my harness back in and it still works. So, the 2004 dared ac control head works and the late ac co trol heads don't work.

So anybody who may install this kit, and you run into defrost only conditions, it could possibly be the control head itself.